PDA

View Full Version : Well, it's a start!

Ken Hill
10-06-2010, 7:22 PM
I believe I made enough mistakes to count this as a learning expierence bar none:eek::p

I dont have any big tools, so I used my 1/4 skew and a 1/2 spindle gouge. Its 6 inches across, about an 1 inch high. Just a coat of MAO.

Mad respect for the folks who have this all figured out!! What a big change from the spindle turning I have been doing. Its the first time I ever used this type of chuck as well.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/BEA0903/1036869091_YbDgN-O.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/BEA0905/1036869167_D8JTJ-O.jpg

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/BEA0902/1036869032_pGtwJ-O.jpg

Frank Van Atta
10-06-2010, 7:50 PM
Personally I think it's a very nice piece - I especially like the simple form and the inclusion. Just proves you don't need a closet full of tools. Keep 'em coming. ;)

brian watts
10-06-2010, 8:03 PM
pretty nice there..

David E Keller
10-06-2010, 8:09 PM
It looks better than the first platter/bowl I ever turned, and I had the tools!:o If you're gonna stay with smaller stuff, I'd get a 3/8 bowl gouge. I absolutely love mine, and I use it a fair bit for spindle work.

John Keeton
10-06-2010, 8:13 PM
Uh-oh!!!:eek: Ken, that is very much like the first 'bowl' I did!!

I need to warn you - your life has just changed. You probably didn't even feel anything, but you have been sucked so much deeper into the vortex than you can imagine.

You might as well go ahead and place that order with Doug Thompson for some tools, get that Monster hollowing rig on order from Randy, and start looking at vacuum systems!:D

Great job on this one BTW. The bottom is really finished out nice.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-06-2010, 9:28 PM
I never finished my first 2 bowls. My third looked way worse than that.... You're doing MUCH better than me...... Which goes to show, tools don't make the man.

Nice job!

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2010, 9:28 PM
Really a nice looking bowl. It would definitely be easier with a 3/8" or 1/2" bowl gouge rather than a spindle gouge. I love my Thompsons.

Scott Hackler
10-06-2010, 10:42 PM
A very nice start to a future obsession! Keep em coming (and dont ever give this one away, you always keep #1).

Leo Van Der Loo
10-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Good for you Ken, you did very well for a first :D, oh and now you have to do better after this one of course :eek:

Oh and I like that big Smilie in there, looking good :D

Josh Bowman
10-07-2010, 7:08 AM
Ken, great job....wish my first looked like that. Save up the pennys and buy a bowl gouge, 1/2" or less, it will make the job faster, when you learn to use it:rolleyes:. And passing on what these guys had me do, get a lesson or two, join a club and buy some DVD's. Doing this will for sure trap you in the never ending vortex of turning.

Baxter Smith
10-07-2010, 8:03 AM
Congrats on you first bowl. Its only the beginning!:)

Tim Rinehart
10-07-2010, 8:41 AM
Nice looking bowl, you should be quite happy with it. I would be.

You'll like playing with the non-spindly stuff. If you mess up a spindle bad...your options for the piece are kinda limited. However... I can't begin to say how many hand turned cups and bowls I have that hold screws, bits and other tools in my shop. :D

Steve Schlumpf
10-07-2010, 8:49 AM
Ken - congrats on your first bowl! Be sure to sign and date it! You will be amazed at how much your turning improves in just a years time - especially if you pick up a bowl gouge! Seriously - a bowl gouge makes a huge difference and is worth getting!

Have fun with this! Looking forward to seeing your next bowl!

Ken Hill
10-07-2010, 9:10 AM
Thanks for the encouragement.

It is fun, learning something new most of the time is. I watched some videos and turned another piece from the same stock and it went much better, until I found the bottom was a bit thinner then I calculated LOL!

Trust me, I will turn more bowls etc. Im a "now" kind of person so the thought of waiting for months to finish a piece worries me but I will have to learn to live with it (maybe cut that don to weeks with some DNA:p)

Learning to finish the pieces will be a challenge as well. I can knock out a call in short order and its done and ready to be sent out so it will deffinatley take some patience skills on my part.

I will be ordering a few new tools to help I reckon. Just remember, if my wife ever finds out, all this stuff is MANDATORY, CHEAP and no work can be COMPLETED with out what I have in the shop or in order or in the woodcraft catalog! :eek:

Robert McGowen
10-07-2010, 9:53 AM
The wife will start to wonder why all of your call blanks are 10"x10"x3" now!

Didn't anyone tell you that the vortex also has mini-vortexes inside it. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: