PDA

View Full Version : Tool Time

David DeCristoforo
10-06-2010, 6:37 PM
Been reading all of the posts regarding tool storage, especially the "free standing kind". One of the few disadvantages of having a shop in a tent... no walls to hang stuff on! So I needed a solution that was:
A) Free Standing
B) Mobile
C) Easy to build
D) Cheap
E) Compact

After perusing a bit, I came up with this cart. OK... it ain't pretty. I admit it... I'm no Gary Zimmel! But it meets all of the above criteria and frees up my only horizontal work surface as well!

Trevor Walsh
10-06-2010, 6:44 PM
I like the use of PVC there, it certainly looks cool to me.

John Keeton
10-06-2010, 6:47 PM
... I'm no Gary Zimmel! David, I take it the drawer does NOT have handcut dovetails????;)

Nice setup, nonetheless!!

David DeCristoforo
10-06-2010, 6:49 PM
"...I take it the drawer does NOT have handcut dovetails????"

Actually, the drawer has no dovetails at all. It's (gasp) nailed together although I did stoop to using some glue...

Cathy Schaewe
10-06-2010, 7:34 PM
"...I take it the drawer does NOT have handcut dovetails????"

Actually, the drawer has no dovetails at all. It's (gasp) nailed together although I did stoop to using some glue...

Oh, the horror!!! :eek::eek::D

Faust M. Ruggiero
10-06-2010, 7:53 PM
David,
Nice cart. I'm looking at the swan neck hollowing tool and think you should nick name it "The Long Arm of The Law". The problem I would have with that tool is my eyesight may not reach where the tool can. :-)
fmr

Rob Mathis
10-06-2010, 9:01 PM
Looks great David.
Myself I store my tools sharp end down. That way I don't find the sharp edge slicing me open.

Just a thought.

Josh Bowman
10-06-2010, 9:08 PM
David,
Looks great, looks like it will serve you well and has room for more tools.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-06-2010, 9:14 PM
Looks great David.
Myself I store my tools sharp end down. That way I don't find the sharp edge slicing me open.

Just a thought.

I also use PVC and keep tips down. But I'm a little more of a chapskate. I use a 5 gal bucket and expanding foam to hold the PVC pipes. I mark the handle ends with a sharpie to somewhat identify the tools. SO, I envy your (gasp) nalied together drawers, since I don't even have any drawers on my bucket. Yes, nice cart indeed.

Richard Madden
10-06-2010, 9:14 PM
Looks good, David, and it serves the purpose. I should make something like that. Most of my tools are on top of the workbench. One of these days I've got to get organized.:o

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2010, 9:21 PM
David it looks good and should serve you well.

David DeCristoforo
10-06-2010, 9:27 PM
"... and has room for more tools..."

Well... not really. There are three "open" tubes that will soon be filled with some tools I am making. I should have made it a skosh bigger with maybe one more row "just in case...."

"...I store my tools sharp end down..."

I thought about that but then I'll never remember which tool is which! I'm looking at some clear caps to protect the tips (and me!), maybe some vinyl tubing or some such.

"...I'm looking at the swan neck hollowing tool..."

It is a bit conspicuous, isn't it?

Neil Strong
10-06-2010, 9:55 PM
"...I'm looking at the swan neck hollowing tool..."

It is a bit conspicuous, isn't it?

Somewhere to hang that hat.... :D