PDA

View Full Version : New SCMS Blade Question

greg a bender
10-06-2010, 5:17 PM
Just bought the new Makita LS1016L SCMS to compliment my old Makita chop saw and my RAS. This is my first slider. Does this use / need a chop / RAS blade? I figure it does, but just want to check.

Thanks!

Michael Flores
10-06-2010, 5:41 PM
The blade it comes with is a very nice blade, i was not disappointed.

Paul McGaha
10-06-2010, 6:21 PM
Freud makes some blades just for SCMS's.

Greg Hawthorne
10-06-2010, 8:21 PM
Saw blade, and some SCMS manufacturers, recommend the use of a negative rake or hook angle (typically 5%). To quote Freud "...this helps prevent the blade from being too aggressive and pushes the work piece down and towards the fence", whereas a positive rake blade as used in a hand-held circular saw tends to draw the wood into the saw's base plate.

This link includes a diagram of a negative rake -
http://www.freudtools.com/p-20-thin-kerf-sliding-compound-miterbr-nbsp.aspx

I have seen cheap SCMSs with positive rake blades, but if you want to replace a stock blade, choose a negative rake blade, rather than one that simply fits the machine - fingers aren't as easy to replace.

Jim O'Dell
10-06-2010, 8:55 PM
I heard the blade on the Makita 1013 was a great blade. Unfortunately the blade on the Hitachi slider that I bought is only useful on rough framing cuts. :( I just bought an Infinity SCMS blade a few months ago. Haven't had any need for cuts on nice wood yet, so I haven't used it. But if it 1/3 the quality of the Infinity Combo blade, it will be a great blade! Jim.

Will Overton
10-06-2010, 9:02 PM
My 12" Bosch slider came with a blade marked "construction". I made a few cuts with it before getting a Forrest Chopmaster. I don't know that I needed to get a 'specialized' blade, but no regrets. I use a 10" ChopMaster on my ras.

While I have no personal experience with the Makita blade, I've heard/read nothing but good things about it.

scott spencer
10-06-2010, 9:46 PM
Blades for a SCMS and RAS should have a hook angle in the vicinity of 0°...low positive to negative to prevent self feeding. It doesn't have to be negative, but I wouldn't go with anything much over +5° or so.