PDA

View Full Version : 2-Pane Panel

Kyle Kaldor
10-06-2010, 3:35 PM
I'm going to be making a couple of 2-pane and 4-pane panels with center stiles for the sides of a vanity and linen closet. Should I make the center stile the same width as the outer stiles or should it be narrower? My outer stiles will be 2 3/8" wide. The panels will be between 20" wide total, so each panel would be 6 5/8" wide. I hope this makes sense.

Philip Rodriquez
10-06-2010, 3:41 PM
It all depends on the look you are going for. If it were me, I'd make them the same. If it is a larger door, you may also make the bottom rails a little bigger.

If still in question, I'd do a full scale drawing before I cut any wood.

alex grams
10-06-2010, 4:16 PM
I would make them the same width, especially if you have an inside profile on the stile. If you make the inset stile skinnier than the outside stiles, coupled with the profile, it would then look very skinny.

IE: 2" stiles with profile 1/4" wide = 1.75" outside stile face
where:
2" inside stile with 1/4" profile on each face = 1.5" stile face.

Even the same width of stile will look a little narrower as a center stile with profiles on both sides of the stile.

While my terminology and description may be a little difficult to convey, I hope the idea is clear.

Jim Rimmer
10-06-2010, 4:24 PM
If still in question, I'd do a full scale drawing before I cut any wood.
Or a full scale cardboard model.

Jeff Monson
10-06-2010, 6:32 PM
I would increase the width of the center stile by the depth of the profile cut. That way the ends and center portions are equal across the face.

Frank Drew
10-06-2010, 7:13 PM
For myself, if I had to choose between wider stiles or wider panels, I'd go with wider panels; when they get too narrow relative to the width of the framing members panels can look pretty dinky. An elevation drawing should help you get proportions that you find pleasing.

Bill ThompsonNM
10-06-2010, 11:04 PM
I agree with Frank. The emphasis is on the panels.. and smaller stiles in the center keep the emphasis on the panels. It does help to make some full size drawings or mockups. You can even make some with printed veneers (i.e vinyl) if that will help visualize the end result if your sketching or sketchup abilities are lacking...