PDA

View Full Version : Just for giggles... Go'n green

Marv Werner
10-06-2010, 3:23 PM
I attempted to replicate an old John Deere tractor but it ended up looking like a handsaw.

It then tried to upstage my three legged saw bench.

I apologize to George for the gag reflex....sorry.:D

Marv

David Weaver
10-06-2010, 3:32 PM
*insert debate here from the farm forums about whether that's the green deere NOS paint or a bad batch of green from TSC.

;)

At least you didn't powder coat the brass bright yellow!

(my grandfather would've declared that to be the highest quality saw made, by the way, just by virtue of its color).

george wilson
10-06-2010, 3:35 PM
Why would you paint that saw handle green???

Marv Werner
10-06-2010, 3:57 PM
Funny you should ask....

I did it as a lark...Over on Woodcentral, I'm always kidding people who post something they have made about painting it John Deere green to improve it's looks. So I finally did what I kidded them about. They weren't impressed either...:D no sense of humor.

The saw is a no name saw that was badly rusted and totally beat up when I started with it. Nothing special about it. I reshaped the handle and wheat carved it. I like green, it's my favorite color. I picked it out a pile of useless old saws I have. Wish I had taken a before picture. Not every old saw is rare and or collectible. Maybe someday it will be.

Marv

Marv Werner
10-06-2010, 4:05 PM
It's the real stuff fresh from a spray can. John Deere enamel. I should have painted the screw heads John Deere yellow.

Marv

glenn bradley
10-06-2010, 4:08 PM
With the background explained I get a good laugh out of it. We have similar long-running "private joke" sayings around work. Every now and then someone acts on one of them. "We" all laugh, "other people" think were nuts; all is well with the world.

David Weaver
10-06-2010, 4:30 PM
It looks like a useful little panel saw. One of my favorite saws is a warranted superior saw that I got for $3 with decent teeth and nib in tact, and no rust. The tote is a bit underdone (no lamb's tongue carving, like that one) compared to an expensive saw, but it's old enough that it's not tastelessly done like the newer saws.

I don't like the look of old beech. That green is probably an improvement.

harry strasil
10-06-2010, 5:16 PM
One winter when business was slow in the shop I used some scraps of bronze brazing rod to fashion myself a Replica Smith Cutting Torch Watch Fob. It was all done on my 9 inch 1946 South Bend Lathe in pieces and then silver brazed together. Them itty bitty knobs were fun to knurl.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/cuttingtorch.jpg

george wilson
10-06-2010, 5:44 PM
Looks nice,Harry1

Marv,it's not the green,it's the John Deere green. That is about the ugliest shade of green out there. Followed by Grizzly green.

How about over spraying it British racing green?

Marv Werner
10-06-2010, 5:57 PM
George...British racing green? You must be kidding....I like most all shades of green, but British racing green is horrible. Nasty color!

But hey, thanks for the suggestion. I said that John Deere green is my favorite color, why would you suggest that I change it? :rolleyes:

Marv Werner
10-06-2010, 6:11 PM
Harry,

I see lots of difficulties in that little project. Great job. I used to have a 9" South Bend, about the same age as yours. Don't remember if it had flat ways or not. Don't think it did. I bought it from a guy who had dropped it off the back of his pickup and broke the casting that covers the front belt pulley. Paid $125 for it. Found a guy who could weld cast iron really well, painted it gray and I was off to the races. Considered John Deere green but.....

Marv

Ted Calver
10-06-2010, 6:17 PM
Can't resist. Apologies in advance to anyone offended.

Cletus is passing by Billy Bob's hay barn one day when, through a gap in the door, he sees Billy Bob doing a slow and sensual striptease in front of an old green John Deere.

Buttocks clenched he performs a slow pirouette and gently slides off first the right strap of his overalls, followed by the left. He then hunches his shoulders forward and in a classic striptease move and lets his overalls fall down to his hips revealing a torn and frayed plaid shirt.

Grabbing both sides of his shirt he rips it apart to reveal his stained tee shirt underneath. With a final flourish he tears the tee shirt from his body and hurls his baseball cap onto a pile of hay.

Having seen enough Cletus rushes in and says "What the heck are you doing Billy Bob."

"Jeez Cletus, 'ya scared the snot out of me," says an obviously embarrassed Billy Bob, "but me and the Ole lady been having trouble lately in the bedroom department, and the therapist suggested I do something sexy to a tractor."

Marv Werner
10-06-2010, 6:38 PM
:DNow THAT'S funny rite thar!

Trevor Walsh
10-06-2010, 6:42 PM
Hahaha....

Gary Hodgin
10-06-2010, 7:28 PM
No problem spotting it in a crowd.

Bill Houghton
10-06-2010, 7:47 PM
We have similar long-running "private joke" sayings around work. Every now and then someone acts on one of them. "We" all laugh, "other people" think were nuts; all is well with the world.

Or, as we used to say at work, "Years from now, we'll look back on all of this...laugh nervously, and change the subject."

Bill Houghton
10-06-2010, 7:49 PM
George...British racing green? You must be kidding....I like most all shades of green, but British racing green is horrible. Nasty color!

Yeah, but your saw will go faster, until all the teeth fall off.

A joke that those who've owned old British cars will understand...

Robert Culver
10-06-2010, 7:55 PM
Wow thats frigen amazing. And not only can you carve wheat but you can paint to. I like it You just made yourself a nice piece to take to the Crafty show I bet sombody would snatch that up as a christmas gifty. Bet Me.....

Marv Werner
10-06-2010, 8:03 PM
Hey Bill,

I see you have sneaked away from your job over there at WC. Who's watching the store? Are you taking a break?

BRG is too dark.

Marv

Zahid Naqvi
10-06-2010, 8:56 PM
It took a sec before my southern exposure kicked in, now that thar is funny.

Steve Sheehan
10-06-2010, 9:56 PM
I think it's beautiful , says the guy w/2 big Green tractors , green bar stools , green gun safe , green (and yellow) ceiling fan , green table fan , green clock , green thermometer , green coasters , and matching green highball glasses . And of course green hats and a green vest .Forgot the salt and pepper shakers and desk chair . Probably more . Wish I had a green saw !!! Then my shop would be just friggin' great !!

Bill Houghton
10-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Hey Bill,

I see you have sneaked away from your job over there at WC. Who's watching the store?

Marv

It's not a full-time job, and the Wood Central crowd is as well-behaved as this one.

Marv Werner
10-07-2010, 7:24 AM
Steve, you sound like the Jolly Green Giant. :D

I'm envious, I only have one green tractor.

Glad you like my green saw. It's not only purdy, it cuts good too. It actually cut better after I painted it green.

Marv

Robert Culver
10-07-2010, 7:54 AM
Marv, Of coarse it cuts better all John Deers do.

george wilson
10-07-2010, 7:58 AM
Well,you said GREEN was your favorite color,not J.D. green. There are many shades and hues of green,of course.:)

Marv Werner
10-07-2010, 8:24 AM
Well, you are right....green IS my favorite color, but it needs to be unmistakably green, at least to my eye. I have often wondered if we all see the same color, shade, hue of something. We have no way of knowing for sure. For all we know, my green might actually be red to someone else. If not red, maybe just a shade different. I see British Racing Green as being too dark. So dark, that it is boarderline green. Like it's on the cusp of green and a darker color. I find it interesting how we as individuals might favor one color over another.

Marv

Marv Werner
10-07-2010, 8:28 AM
Robert,

Do a test cut on a saw that you intend to wheat carve. Then test the saw again right after you do the wheat carving. Let me know if it cuts better.:)

Don't cheat, be sure to use the same piece of wood for both cuts.

Marv

David Weaver
10-07-2010, 8:32 AM
It's not a full-time job, and the Wood Central crowd is as well-behaved as this one.

Only trouble is those big heated double vs. single iron fights!

Dave Anderson NH
10-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Well Marv, the least you could have done is paint some nice country scene on the saw plate.

David Weaver
10-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Well Marv, the least you could have done is paint some nice country scene on the saw plate.

Yeah, or go all out and just have the john deere tractor laser etched into it.

Marv Werner
10-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Dave, The extent of my painting abilities is pressing down on the spray button on the top of a spray can.:D

I really don't understand why people are inclined to paint the side of a saw blade. Nothing more gag inducing than seeing a Disston No.12 with anything painted on it. Maybe it's just me.....:)

Thanks for the suggestion though.....

Marv

Marv Werner
10-07-2010, 12:27 PM
David, now I kinda like that idea!

I'd have to obtain a license from John Deere though. No doubt cost prohibitive.

Marv

David Weaver
10-07-2010, 12:29 PM
David, now I kinda like that idea!

I'd have to obtain a license from John Deere though. No doubt cost prohibitive.

Marv

I'm sure there are some names you could have written on a tractor that aren't exactly John Deere.

The international harvest fans have plenty of alternate names for John Deere.

I'm sure you'd be OK either way if you never sell it.

john brenton
10-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I think George just suggested an idea that could potentially replace the traditional "plate" as the official medium for Nascar collectibles. Nascar commemorative saw plates with painted handles?

I can see the Dale Earhadt Jr. commemorative saw on somebody's mantel. Laugh now, but when you see them selling like hotcakes on ebay just know that you heard it hear first.:rolleyes:

Looks nice,Harry1

Marv,it's not the green,it's the John Deere green. That is about the ugliest shade of green out there. Followed by Grizzly green.

Don Orr
10-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Sheesh, and I thought this thread was going to be about how hand tools are good for the environment being non electrical and low carbon footprint.:eek::D

Cool saw even if it's not Ford blue.;)

Marv Werner
10-07-2010, 1:45 PM
Don,

Ford Blue......ok, that will be my next one....

Marv

David Weaver
10-07-2010, 1:58 PM
(i know not many people are going to get this, but...)

If you make a blue saw, you'll have to label it the select-o-saw.

Marv Werner
10-07-2010, 2:23 PM
You are right, not many people will get that.....I'm one that didn't.:)

Marv

David Weaver
10-07-2010, 3:53 PM
Select-O-Speed was (to my knowledge), Ford's first attempt at a powershift transmission.

It is viewed by non-ford-fans as a time-bomb to be avoided.

Deere and IH fans like to use the initials S.O.S. for it when they talk about using it, as in if it's working well now, soon enough, it won't be and you'll be stranded.

If you put that on your saws, ford fans would try them. Everyone else would assume the saw wouldn't cut.

Marv Werner
10-07-2010, 4:09 PM
I have a 1985 smaller John Deere 4WD that they forgot to put a throw out bearing in the clutch mechanism. Can't shift it without grinding gears a lot of the time. I used to wish I had bought a Ford, but after what you just told me, I guess I'm fortunate that their prices were so outrageous, I bought the JD instead.

Thanks for the explanation.
Marv

David Weaver
10-07-2010, 4:17 PM
I'm sure it's cleaned up by now. I think Ford did this in 1959. John Deere may have hired some of their intellectual capital and took 5 years to figure it out.

Fords in the 80s were decent tractors (even though the utility tractors are clattery sounding), and the powershift in the big ones is good.

Yours looked like a yanmar built deere - yours is the first I've ever heard of any being bad.

Dan Sink
10-07-2010, 4:19 PM
Looks nice,Harry1

I think that John Deere green is probably the best looking color in the entire world. Of course, I grew up in a town where John Deere is the largest employer and all things Deere are sacred. But I still believe I'd think its a beautiful color that represents Americana even if I hadn't.

Marv Werner
10-07-2010, 4:21 PM
I'll second that!

Dan Andrews
10-08-2010, 11:02 PM
Harry, I love the torch. Great job.