PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever seen

harry strasil
10-06-2010, 2:00 PM
one of these Jeweler's saws in the wild or anywhere else? It seems to be a cross between a Jeweler's saw and a Fret Saw!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/odd/jwlrssaw001.jpg

Wes Grass
10-06-2010, 2:18 PM
You think that's for real, or an artist's concept?

Looks like a really inefficient way to tension a blade to me.

David Weaver
10-06-2010, 2:25 PM
Certainly never saw anything like that.

A jensen steam engine to tension it would just about make it complete.

george wilson
10-06-2010, 2:42 PM
I haven't seen that saw. I have an old saw just like without the tensioner. Do you think it was user added? It doesn't look as if it would work too well anyway. It looks like it would tend to bow the top edge of the frame more than reinforce it.

Matt Evans
10-06-2010, 2:57 PM
I haven't seen one of these, but it has me thinking. . .

Marv Werner
10-06-2010, 3:10 PM
Harry, is that one of your "out of the box" inventions?:)

I would modernize it by using a tiny little turn buckle and small piano wire in place of the twisted twine. Would make for a more positive tension. I stole the idea from the big old buck saw tensioning method.

Marv

harry strasil
10-06-2010, 4:58 PM
No, its for real its in R. A. Salamans Dictionary of woodworking tools, on I think page 426 or so. I just thought it was kinda Rube Goldberg Inspired and it caught my eye as I was browsing for something else.

george wilson
10-06-2010, 5:35 PM
Salaman was the one who wrote that beech was used for tools because it was so stable!! Guess what? I'll bet the guy never tried drying beech or using it in his life. Another curatorial type with no real experience.Makes me wonder about the saw.

My 19th.C. German saw just like that one is WAY strong enough to pop any jeweler's blade in half.