PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster 50" drum sander help

Nino Maini
10-06-2010, 1:01 PM
This Friday, I'm going to pick up a used 5-6 year old 510" drum sander. I was hopping that I can load it in the back of my truck, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have this sander. Does it break down small enough so that some people can lift it into back of a pick-up truck? My other safer option is to take my landscape trailer?

If anyone is wondering, I'm paying 1800 for it which includes a mobile base and extra paper.

It might be gloat worthy also :-p

Randy Henry
10-06-2010, 1:10 PM
I have the 38" and when we moved it, it took four of us, all we had to lift it. I don't think I would break it down, too much trouble with the motor below, wiring, etc. I would use your trailer with some ramps and leave it in one piece.

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 1:31 PM
I just picked up a 38" this weekend and without a tractor or wide gantry lift (on both ends of the trip) I wouldn't even THINK of loading it in the back of a truck, the 38" weighs about 750# and the 50" weighs about 200# more. You could pull the motor but it isn't really a break down machine like say a cabinet saw.

Greg Portland
10-06-2010, 1:40 PM
Bring the landscape trailer + a come-along / winch. You can shed ~50lbs by taking the cover off but that's not going to solve the weight problem. Note that the included wheels are very small and will NOT roll along a steel-grate trailer bed (i.e. bring some 1/2" junk sheetgoods to roll it over).

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 1:58 PM
Bring the landscape trailer + a come-along / winch. You can shed ~50lbs by taking the cover off but that's not going to solve the weight problem. Note that the included wheels are very small and will NOT roll along a steel-grate trailer bed (i.e. bring some 1/2" junk sheetgoods to roll it over).

That assumes it has a mobile base, if so it is the perfect solution.

Nino Maini
10-06-2010, 3:34 PM
Thanks everyone, yes it has a mobile base. You are correct those wheels would be too small. I like the idea of the plywood as I do have the steel grates. If I have a enough guys maybe I can load the sander ontop of two dollys, makes it easuer to move around.

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 5:12 PM
Thanks everyone, yes it has a mobile base. You are correct those wheels would be too small. I like the idea of the plywood as I do have the steel grates. If I have a enough guys maybe I can load the sander ontop of two dollys, makes it easuer to move around.

We put the 38" on two furniture dollys the 50" is the same depth so a standard furniture dolly will work turned sideways on each end. We used a set of hand trucks to lift one end enough to get a floor jack under one end then lifted further with the jack to place a furniture dolley under it. Then I went around the side with the jack and lifted one side, put wood blcks under it then went to the other side and lifted the other side this allowed me to get the other furniture dolly under it then let the jack down on that side went back to the other side and lifted it to remove the blocks.

The next step is important and we did not do it loading but I figured it out before unloading. I ratchet strapped it to the dollys for loading but they moved a lot and caused some potential but avoided issues, for unloading I screwed some scrap wood onto the dollys to keep it from shifting.

The pictures show how well it fits on dollys and the last picture shows that even with the scraps it still shifted when the trailing end came off the ramp due to the friction of the small wheels on my exposed aggregate concrete driveway.

Chip Lindley
10-06-2010, 8:30 PM
Gloat-Worth, for sure!! Great price for a Woodmaster 50"!

Great advice already mentioned above that covers your move. I was lucky my 38" double drum Woodmaster fit exactly sideways between the wheelwells of my pickup, loaded with a fork lift; unloaded with a tractor bucket with forks.

Your best bet is the trailer, plywood, furniture dollies, and a big lunch for all your friends. Good Luck!

Rob Sack
10-07-2010, 2:29 AM
When I purchased my Woodmaster 38" machine, which already had a mobile base, I called the AAA and had them send out a flat bed tow truck. The driver dropped the bed down, let out his winch cable, and we hooked up the sander. He winched it up onto the bed, strapped it down, and we were good to go. Once we got to my shop, we reversed the process. It cost me around $100.00 to move the sander about 15 miles with no lifting.

Van Huskey
10-07-2010, 2:41 AM
When I purchased my Woodmaster 38" machine, which already had a mobile base, I called the AAA and had them send out a flat bed tow truck. The driver dropped the bed down, let out his winch cable, and we hooked up the sander. He winched it up onto the bed, strapped it down, and we were good to go. Once we got to my shop, we reversed the process. It cost me around $100.00 to move the sander about 15 miles with no lifting.

That is an excellent idea for short distance moves.

Nino Maini
10-15-2010, 5:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I picked up the sander last Friday. I was lucky and they had a bobcat on site to lift the sander onto the trailer. for now, it is resting in the garage until I have time to bring it in the basement.

Per sawmill creek rules, it is not a gloat till you have a picture, so I have attached one. It is amazing, this thing is brand new, I would guess under 10 hrs of use, still has the orginal paper, so for 1800 it was a great deal:D

Van Huskey
10-15-2010, 5:50 PM
Absolutely gloatworthy, better than my 38" gloat by far.

I would start a gloat thread for that, you will gets lots of you suck posts because:

YOU SUCK!