PDA

View Full Version : PowerMatic Planer Molder 13.5"??

Kyle Kaldor
10-06-2010, 11:50 AM
Anybody have a guess as to what model of planer/molder this is...

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/tls/1989416591.html

Also is this a good deal?

Pete Bradley
10-06-2010, 12:39 PM
If you want to know, why not call the seller instead of posting the link here?:confused:

James Malcolm
10-06-2010, 1:11 PM
Depending on how many knives he has, it may be a good deal. If you don't like the molding knives, then they are pretty much worthless. A new PM15 costs $1800, which I suspect is what it is. That leaves $500 for knives, which is only 6 or so sets new. Let's say those are worth $200 now. New set of knives ~$50. So essentially you are getting the tool for $600, assuming the knives are actually worth anything to you. That's a decent price in my book. You could also get a Belsaw. It will do exactly the same thing except it's only 12" wide and it only has 12fps feed vs 10/20 on the PM15.

michael case
10-06-2010, 1:17 PM
Kyle,

I can't find anything on a 13.5". Maybe he means the 15" or maybe its a vintage machine no longer listed. But, if you think about it, even a vintage Powermatic (especially American made) that's really in the "new" condition the seller claims is worth $800. If its the 15" then its worth. If its a nice "like new" vintage machine its worth it. I would certainly get a look at this machine.

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 1:47 PM
You NEED to be there looking at that machine, I have a funny feeling it is a PM15. The PM15 usually streets over $2,000. Moulding knives (if you even care about them) are about $100 a set. Look at it this way, what is a 5hp motor worth alone...

Get one this one NOW. As Michael mentioned if it isn't the current PM15 and it is a vintage USA built machine that is only 13.5" it is still worth the price if it is in excellent condition.

Joseph Tarantino
10-06-2010, 3:22 PM
my experience with more recent vintage walter meier group (WMG) products ( powermatic, jet, wilton) is that they are long on promise, short on delivery and genreally priced to make their products poor values. i have no first hand experience with powermatic tools which predate the brand's acquisition by WMG, so if you are interested in this tool, pray that it is an older model. the downside to it's being an older model is that if you need technical support from WMG, just be advised that their tech support is less than ordinary and you will probably be on your own.