PDA

View Full Version : Homemade air filter

Sandy Henry
10-06-2010, 11:30 AM
I built my filter per Dans instructions. Using a 14" diam cardboard drum...I started with 2" of activated carbon pellets - slight smell when cutting Romark - added 2" more carbon -better but still slight odor.
Using new Penn State blower 2hp with 6" tubing. Air flow is still good & I'll add 2" more carbon today. Just wondering what amount of carbon is commonly used? All thoughts will be very appreciated. Thanks, Sandy

Dan Hintz
10-06-2010, 12:52 PM
When time permits <chuckle> I'm going to redesign the system as a stackable unit to make it easier to add/remove filtering elements. I'll probably go with half of the current trashcan's width, but stack the carbon twice as deep to keep the same surface area... I have plenty of vacuum with the current 1HP red HF DC, so I know it won't be an issue when I finally plug in my 2HP PSI unit.

Robert Walters
10-06-2010, 1:30 PM
FWIW...

I'm going to be using shallow cardboard boxes each filled with carbon, then stacked on top of each other.

I'll be cutting openings in the boxes to have maximum air to carbon surface contact.

When one box of carbon is exhausted (double the weight as Dan mentioned), replace it with a fresh one.

I'll create a post (with pics) when I've finished building my air scrubber.

Sandy Henry
10-07-2010, 1:10 AM
Hi Dan, Mine is stackable & simple to open lid & remove / insert filter layers. My blower always draws air through the drum. I remove all filters when exhausting out window & add filters when exhausting into room. Your photos & instructions were VERY helpful. I would show photos of mine but I probably can't figure out how to get them posted! Thanks again, Sandy

Andrea Weissenseel
10-07-2010, 1:35 AM
My activated carbon is approx. 20cm high. I wish I had known how to build my own before :)

Sandy, when you reply to a thread just scroll down and you'll find a button "Manage Attachment" click and you can there select your pictures for uploading

Andrea

Sandy Henry
10-07-2010, 3:00 AM
Thanks Andrea, I'll give it a try as soon as I get the time. Sandy