PDA

View Full Version : "Living on the edge..." , BLM Burl Nested Bowls

Tim Rinehart
10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
This was the 2nd thing I used my Oneway Easy-Core on, a piece of big leaf maple burl. Largest piece is about 12" diam and 2 1/2" tall. Largest is about 5/16" thick, smallest about 1/4". I am still working on ways to display these standing up.

The term 'Living on the Edge' refers to the moss that remained on and living throughout the turning process, sanding, finishing,etc. I hope it continues to thrive...I kinda like the effect. Hopefully it will pull enough moisture from air to stay alive.

I did a demo last night on coring with another club member, with his system being the McNaughton. What this nested set demonstrates, is the flexibility afforded by the Oneway system to create other than fixed radius forms. In the case of my largest piece here, I started with a smaller radius knife and finished with a larger radius knife, so it's more of a platter. This is possible due to the width of the kerf in relation to the knife, similar way a McNaughton system is manuevered to manually change radius, though done quicker than the Oneway.

The finish is shellac, a couple coats and then knocked down with fine scotchbrite.

In hindsight, the burl moved very little and I could likely have made the pieces thinner and got more bowls from this set...but it was a good learning experience.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Mark Hubl
10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Tim,
Those look great. I like cored sets of bowls, very cool. The burl looks terrific.

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Tim those are beauties. The wood is some really pretty stuff.

Greg Ketell
10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Those are really beautiful!

Can you enlighten me though? From everything I've seen and read the Oneway coring system makes 1/2-circle cores. How did you get such shallow bowls from it?

David E Keller
10-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Beautiful wood, Tim, and congrats on your mastery of the Oneway coring system. Like Greg, I didn't think the Oneway was capable of this kind of shape, but I'm happy to learn that it can do more than hemispherical forms. I don't own a coring system yet, but it's on the wish list somewhere.

Tim Rinehart
10-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks all so far for the positive feedback. I would have displayed earlier, but wanted to show our club during the demo first.

Those are really beautiful!

Can you enlighten me though? From everything I've seen and read the Oneway coring system makes 1/2-circle cores. How did you get such shallow bowls from it?

As to the technique...think first about how the base can be positioned on these, even with a single knife.
A 'near-perfect' consistent half-round by centering the rotation of the knife at the center of the lathe, and vary the depth/diameter by how far away your knife pivot is from the blank.
A more cone shape is created by moving the center of rotation away from you, towards the back of lathe.
A more flattened shape is created by moving the center of rotation towards you.
There are no rules that say you can't start with one knife and finish with another in slightly adjusted approach, provided you have room in the kerf to turn without binding. In this case, I recall starting with a smaller radius knife and then finishing the core with a larger radius knife. (I did this over a month or so ago...so I can't recall exact details, but it was driven by need to do something to get more pieces from a relatively shallow blank)

John Keeton
10-06-2010, 3:30 PM
Beautiful set, Tim, and nice explanation of the technique, too. While I don't have much interest at this point in a coring system, it is always good to store this kind of knowledge - given the strange occurrences of the vortex!!!:D:rolleyes:;)

Dick Rowe
10-06-2010, 4:03 PM
WOW!! That looks awesome.

Steve Schlumpf
10-06-2010, 4:07 PM
Nice work on the coring Tim and also on keeping the bark and moss! Sure is some pretty maple - love the grain on these!

Steve Vaughan
10-06-2010, 4:15 PM
Those are beautiful bowls! And, I love the moss thing you got going on, really cool!

Tim Rinehart
10-06-2010, 4:51 PM
Beautiful set, Tim, and nice explanation of the technique, too. While I don't have much interest at this point in a coring system, it is always good to store this kind of knowledge - given the strange occurrences of the vortex!!!:D:rolleyes:;)

If they can figure out how to core out a HF to save wood...I bet you'd be interested!!:D

Leo Van Der Loo
10-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Beautiful job Tim :D, a good looking set you made with the Oneway coring system.
Shows you using brains rather than brawn will get you there every time :cool: :D :)

Van Huskey
10-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Gorgeous and very cool in several ways.