PDA

View Full Version : Nova 16-24

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 12:22 AM
As you may have read after I have avoided the Vortex for my entire life my wife decides she is going to suck us in.

It appears with the sale at Woodcraft the Nova 16-24 may be a really great value for 899. It appears with potential for future upgrades to be a lathe she could grow on for a long time. The only negatives I see are low mass (I assume weighting can go a long way to fix this) and non-variable speed, but it does have a couple of pretty low speeds which most of the larger lathes in the price range seem to lack.

So does this lathe make the most sense for the long run for a beginner at or around this price point?

Scott Hackler
10-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Thats what I turn on and its a great lathe. Belt changes/speed changes are done within 15 seconds now. I have turned a few giant (to me) bowls at 15 1/4" dia and 9" tall....and my new passion of thin finials. It worked just fine, but you do have to slow it down because there isnt the weight of the lathes costing 3x or more.

I think its a great starter lathe and at at that price its a bargain. Only now (1 1/2 years or so, later) am I thinking that I might upgrade next year. I like to turn big chunks of unbalanced wood, every once in a while and the variable speed, sheer weight and power of a 220v lathe would be nice. Not nessasary, just nice.

Until then I will happily be spinning away on my Nova!

Michelle Rich
10-06-2010, 6:37 AM
I think it's a great choice and you will not be unhappy. I've had the forerunner to this one (old 3000) for almost 20 yrs. It is used daily and it has never hiccupped or groaned. The low 265 speed is great. I bolted mine to a very heavy cabinet that holds wood & metal (very heavy & massive) and the cabinet is bolted to the wall. It's not a Mustard Monster, but not everybody needs one of those. Most workthat is done today(bowls hollow forms etc) can be done on this machine.

Paul Douglass
10-06-2010, 9:52 AM
Will just step up a little. The DVR XP is on sale also at Woodcraft. $550 off the regular price.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Will just step up a little. The DVR XP is on sale also at Woodcraft. $550 off the regular price.

Interesting dilema. I'd go for the DVR, even if you need to pay your VISA/MC in installments. I only have a Jet Mini, non VS, and I think I should have plinked down the extra money for the VS. Changing belts really is not that much of a problem, but the low speed would surely be a plus. Good luck on your choice. Either of those should last a while.

David E Keller
10-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I think both would be functional, but I'd never go back to a lathe without VS now that I have it. I think the VS allows me to be a better turner, but it certainly makes me a happier turner!

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 1:24 PM
I appreciate the DVR from an academic sense (since I am not a turner) but being in the process of building and equipping a new shop ground up requires me to stop somewhere... With tools and sharpening I think the sub $1,000 arena is where we need to stay for the lathe. If she really gets into it we can make the jump to something like a 3520B but just not now.

It appears the Nova 16-44 is a very strong option at the price, thinks for the info.

Mark Hubl
10-06-2010, 1:33 PM
I have had mine for just about a year and I am still very happy with my decision. I think it is a lot of lathe for the money.

Glenn Barber
10-06-2010, 1:52 PM
Van- I have this lathe and find it does what I want. Here is a link to an upgrade of both the motor and for variable speed. Still cheaper than the DVR. Something to think about if you truely get swallowed by the Vortex.

Glenn

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134952&highlight=Nova+1624+variable+speed+upgrade

Steve Harder
10-06-2010, 6:52 PM
And here's another vote for the 1624. It's done everything I've asked of it. Handled some 50# out of round blanks.

I wrote the article on VFD mod that is mentioned in previous reply. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have.

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 7:50 PM
And here's another vote for the 1624. It's done everything I've asked of it. Handled some 50# out of round blanks.

I wrote the article on VFD mod that is mentioned in previous reply. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you have.

Thanks for the upgrade thread, I have it bookmarked for the future, looks very interesting plus an extra half horse!

Paul Douglass
10-06-2010, 8:27 PM
I don't understand why Teknatools doesn't sell a DVR XP head for those who would like to upgrade their 16-24. Seems like it would be available, or doesn't it fit?

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 9:14 PM
I don't understand why Teknatools doesn't sell a DVR XP head for those who would like to upgrade their 16-24. Seems like it would be available, or doesn't it fit?

I thought based on what I read on their site that they did...

Richard Madden
10-06-2010, 9:26 PM
I've had my Nova 1624 for almost three years and still love it. Back then, I first thought about a mini, but the FWW article sewed it up for me. Mine is used almost daily, belt changes are no problem, still using the original belt. The power, speed range, swivel head, small footprint...all pluses. No regrets at all.

Andrew Kertesz
10-07-2010, 5:58 AM
You can purchase just the DVR head. Not sure of the cost, but it is available. At least according to their website this is considered an upgrade path.

Michelle Rich
10-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Paul: it does fit. I have been trying to get just the head for 2 yrs..they will not sell it without the whole lathe

Steve Kubien
10-07-2010, 5:38 PM
The 1624 is a fine lathe. I've had mine for 4 or 5 years. It is not really happy with 16" unbalanced bowl blanks but they can be handled. It is my understanding the the DVR head can be had from Tim Geist, if not through Teknatool directly, should you wish to go that route some day.

Paul Douglass
10-07-2010, 6:41 PM
You can get them from Tom Geist if ha just happens to have one which is not often. I inquired about it.

Bob Hampton
10-07-2010, 6:47 PM
as for weight...i did a very easy solution to mine...slid a bar threw the legs and hung weight disc's from that..there cheap at any goodwill or salvation army stores.

bob

Charlie Reals
10-07-2010, 7:39 PM
as for weight...i did a very easy solution to mine...slid a bar threw the legs and hung weight disc's from that..there cheap at any goodwill or salvation army stores.

bob
Did the same with mine and it works fine for me. As stated above it does get a little squirrelly with a big out of round blank.

Steve Harder
10-07-2010, 8:06 PM
Thanks for the upgrade thread, I have it bookmarked for the future, looks very interesting plus an extra half horse!

I always keep my belt a little loose - there is no stopping that motor even at low rpms. I usually have my belt on the 3rd from the right location and do a complete rough out of a very heavy blank. The motor is hardly warm to the touch no matter what you are doing, even at very low rpm.