PDA

View Full Version : NFL: rumor of randy moss back to vikings?

Neal Clayton
10-06-2010, 12:16 AM
sounds like belichick and crew putting the screws to yet another struggling team for a fistful of draft picks. seen that trick before...

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/10/05/randy-moss-trade-being-discussed-by-patriots-vikings/

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Neal,

I fail to see why you would say they are putting the screws to the Vikings by trading Randy Moss to them.

Nobody is holding a gun to the heads of the management of the Vikings. They are all adults and supposed to be intelligent enough to make decisions based on short term and long term effects.

Doug W Swanson
10-06-2010, 8:21 AM
As a life long Viking fan I would love to have Randy Moss back!

Sure he can be a pain in the kiester occasionally but look at what he has done over his career....

We need a big play receiver since Sidney Rice is out and the receivers we have right now just plain suck.

JMO
Doug

Neal Clayton
10-06-2010, 1:04 PM
Neal,

I fail to see why you would say they are putting the screws to the Vikings by trading Randy Moss to them.

Nobody is holding a gun to the heads of the management of the Vikings. They are all adults and supposed to be intelligent enough to make decisions based on short term and long term effects.

well they have issues with a lack of receivers, and that's the patriots M.O. they don't believe in retiring players. they fish for interest on high paid veteran players and try to get draft picks for them before they're gone.

and these press leaks are a kind of way of turning up the heat on the other side of the trade. if they back out, they look like cheapskates to their own fans.

paul cottingham
10-06-2010, 1:37 PM
A QB like Favre needs a receiver like Moss.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2010, 1:44 PM
Neal,

While the Patriots might seem to be known for this....it appears to work.

Now I know you are a Saints fan but the reality is that Saints don't have the history of consistently good teams like the Pats do.

BTW...I'm not a Patriots fan........

It's just a business decision on the part of the Vikings......and a timely one. They don't have a long pass threat receiver currently. Not one that demands special attention from the opponents defense and one who will get the job done even if double or triple covered. I don't like Moss, TO or OchoCinco....but those guys, even with their misdirected attitudes are a threat ...any day...against any defense.... Point blank...Favre isn't going to be playing much longer as witnessed the length of time it took him to make up his mind for the last several seasons. If the Vikings want a championship or a shot at a championship with Favre at the helm, they need a home run receiver NOW.....or I'd place money that you won't see Bart playing anywhere next year.

What fans need to realize...and I don't care what how big a fan you are....Pro Football is a entertainment BUSINESS. When the profit is gone so will be the team...the fans.... So if they don't pick him (and it appear they did) so what? It's a business decision. Just like the Pats make when they decide not to keep expensive players around....just a business decision....

Jeff Monson
10-06-2010, 1:56 PM
Dont you think this also has a little to do with Moss saying "he wont be playing for the patriots next year" after the 1st game of the season?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2010, 2:14 PM
Yeah....I'd say that probably has something to do with it too!

I won't even begin discussing attitudes of some people in any business including professional sports.

In another thread someone was complaining about not being able to get contractors to give bids on a job.

That could be for many reasons......including......attitude of the contractor.....attitude of the homeowner........

Personal attitudes effect a lot of things in life.....it effects personal relationships.....it effects the manner with which others treat someone.....it effects the amount of respect someone gives and receives....

Yeah......I'd say that statement could have increased Randy Moss' availability for a trade!

Jerome Hanby
10-06-2010, 2:23 PM
Maybe the Vikings need special protection from themselves. Didn't they destroy their program and put Dallas on top for several years with that Hershel Walker trade?

Neal,

Jerome Hanby
10-06-2010, 2:25 PM
I think you need a Chris Carter to keep a Randy Moss in line and they aren't making any more Chris Carters...

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2010, 2:34 PM
Jerome.....let's talk football in this century........:rolleyes:

Don Jarvie
10-06-2010, 2:36 PM
Word around town was Moss was starting to get a little more vocal about not being signed. The press conference after the 1st game was to get the ball rolling.

Sounds like they told him nothing would happen until the end of the season and he started to act up.

Rumor has it that he and the QB coach (also the psuedo OC) had some words during halftime on Monday and that has led to the trade.

I hate to see him go but if their not going to sign him and he's going to be a pain it's better to move him now.

I would have given him a 2 year extension and made him happy.

Jacob Mac
10-06-2010, 6:50 PM
I wonder how Brady will react to this. I know a lot of people love Welker. But it is a lot easier for a slot receiver to get open when every defense, save the Jets, ran an umbrella coverage on Moss every play.

Greg Peterson
10-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Sports entertainment is big business. I don't like to think of it in those terms, but that is a simple fact.

Moss was moved purely as a business decision. I've no love for the Pats or Belichick's lack of sportsmanship. But I can't see where this is a particularly risky move for them.

Of a more immediate concern are the two Vikings games on the schedule for the Packers. This trade is likely to make the NFC North a very tough division. Allow me to take a moment to take pity on the ever suffering Lions fans.......

Whew, I thought that would never end.

scott spencer
10-07-2010, 7:35 AM
Randy Moss and Chris Carter made Randall Cunningham look like Hall of Fame material. I think the combo of Moss, Harvin, and Peterson, with an aging Favre behind center is a pretty potent weapon....plus they have a decent line. Moss is a gifted athlete, and a known head case. He'll do great as long as he wants to be there.

Joe Leigh
10-07-2010, 8:30 AM
Yawn.....there's reason this guy's been on 4 or 5 teams. A so called elite player for a 3rd round pick?? That about says it all.

Mark Patoka
10-07-2010, 8:47 AM
As a Packer fan, there hasn't been much love lost on Moss when he was a Vike and he usually faired pretty well playing against us. Both his and Favre's motivation factor just went up a couple notches, especially with the upcoming GB-Minn games. Should be fun to watch.

Jerome Hanby
10-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Yawn.....there's reason this guy's been on 4 or 5 teams. A so called elite player for a 3rd round pick?? That about says it all.

...and a ton of money off the payroll. When it's time to unload, all that money and any pick probably looks pretty good.

Neal Clayton
10-07-2010, 12:14 PM
especially when you made a profit on the pick.

they paid a 4th round pick for moss from the raiders. then dealt him after 3 years for a 3rd round pick.

Horton Brasses
10-07-2010, 1:44 PM
I wonder how Brady will react to this. I know a lot of people love Welker. But it is a lot easier for a slot receiver to get open when every defense, save the Jets, ran an umbrella coverage on Moss every play.

Brady won't say a word. Too bad too, the Pats seem to mortgage every season for future picks. Brady's prime is almost over and the Pat's have traded away every #1 receiver (Branch, Givens, now Moss) he has had for some time now. Welker is great, but he is not a #1 target. In the Pat's defense, none of the other receivers they traded away ever did anything anywhere but New England.

-Orion

Jacob Mac
10-07-2010, 3:40 PM
Brady won't say a word. Too bad too, the Pats seem to mortgage every season for future picks. Brady's prime is almost over and the Pat's have traded away every #1 receiver (Branch, Givens, now Moss) he has had for some time now. Welker is great, but he is not a #1 target. In the Pat's defense, none of the other receivers they traded away ever did anything anywhere but New England.

-Orion

You make a good point, Brady is obviously a professional, but he still has to be hacked. Brady was always Moss's biggest fan in that locker room. Plus, Moss requires defenses to account for the deep ball on every play. That opens up a lot of options for their offense. I think losing Moss will limit the Pats on offense.

But I am a Packers fan, so this is distressing to me because it will help Favre and the Vikings. Tough to put 8 men in the box with Moss around. It makes AP a lot more dangerous.

Neal Clayton
10-07-2010, 9:02 PM

-Orion

i think the NFL is changing and realizing that big name receivers simply aren't worth the money. the NFL is about scheme, not individual talent. everyone has individual talent in the NFL.

for reference, see super bowl champs. shockey is an acquisition from the giants, sure, but the two primary wideouts are from hofstra and toledo.

they don't physically impress. if they have the size, they don't have the speed. if they have the speed, they don't have the size. but they run precise routes and catch what hits them in the hands.

which is more than alot of big name receivers are able to do.

in many circumstances, want to is better than can do. the patriots and saints are examples of that, imo.

Greg Peterson
10-07-2010, 10:27 PM
I dunno about Moss. Sure he is quick and can jump, but I've seen him drop plenty of passes that confounded me. I always thought an elite receiver included having good hands.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-08-2010, 9:24 AM
Pats fan here, and while I don't like to see Moss go - agreeing with all the comments on how coverage of Moss opens up things for Welker and others - I really didn't want to see what it would be like later in the season when he knew he wouldn't get the $ he demanded. He has a history of slacking off when he doesn't get his way, and I think the team would rather have people on the roster that will give 100% all the time. His presence would have been a detriment to the team.

Paul Ryan
10-08-2010, 9:15 PM
I dunno about Moss. Sure he is quick and can jump, but I've seen him drop plenty of passes that confounded me. I always thought an elite receiver included having good hands.

Greg,

you ask most coaches and players in the league who has the best hand, Moss will be at or near the top of everyone's list. Did you see the one handed catch for a touch down he made over Darelle Revis 2 weeks ago? Yes he did drop a touch down against Miami, but Randy Moss has exceptional hands.

Viking fans are really kind of wide eyed right now. Kind of in disbelief. We got back the prodigal son and a 7th round pick for a 3rd this next year. With a terrific chance at signing him this off season. This will be Moss' 3rd move to his 3rd team. Most around here agree that trading him was one of the biggest mistakes in the past 10 years. We have Red Mcombs to thank for that, he was as tight as tight could be.

Randy Moss is a special player, you cannot compare a Marques Colston to him. They are in 2 completely different leagues. But to be honest Moss has always been in his own league. His size, speed, intelligence, jumping ability, and hands make him the "super freak". But it will be interesting to see what happens.

For weeks people around here have been calling radio shows proposing trades to get Moss. Myself with every host thought these trade ideas were asinine. Why would New England give up Moss, their primary scoring threat when they have a good team. It seemed retarded to even comtimplate. Well now it has happened. Locker room chemistry is a very important thing to a good team. And it is my belief that Randy was destroying that in New England. Everyone knows he was unhappy and getting more unhappy as the weeks went by. In a couple years he will sour about being in MN again. But by that time he will be ready for retirement. But right now he is happy to be home. He said that over and over during yesterdays press conference.

This make the Vikes tougher but I still dont have the feeling I did last year. I expect them to loose to NY this mon. After that they will have a very tough road ahead to get to the playoffs. But it can be done. But there really isn't a clear team to beat in the NFC. The packers are falling apart as the days go on. The Saints don't look even close to as tough as last year. But may get better when Reggie comes back. Dallas has under achieved so far. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

I did book my winter vacation around the NFC championship and the SB though.

Jacob Mac
10-09-2010, 9:39 AM
There is no arguing Moss is elite. Just look at his stats. Then watch a game and notice how he changes the entire defense. Even at 33, he is still one of the best deep threats in the game.

I just wish he didn't go to the Vikings.

Greg Peterson
10-09-2010, 12:35 PM
There was a Vikings/Packers game where Johnson (I think, but could have been Dante) threw an interception. Packer linebacker, realizing that he was now on offense, ran halfway across the field to throw a block on one Randy Moss. Moss was just standing there waiting for the Packer safety running towards him, oblivious of the linebacker sprinting at him from his right.

That 'block' on Moss was epic. Still makes me smile.

Moss is very, very good. And perhaps at one point he will be called great. But I reserve the word great to describe players like Rice or Gonzalez. I've seen Moss take too many plays off and drop too many passes that would have given any other player an ear full of QB/OC/HC haranguing.

I agree that it's difficult to imagine the honeymoon ending for Moss before the end of this season. But we know how things go with Moss, and it never seems to have a happy ending.

The north division just got a little tougher. It's a shame the pats could not have waited a couple of more weeks :(.

Rick Moyer
10-09-2010, 3:46 PM
Moss should have a great rest of the year with the Vikes. here's why: he is only under contract for the rest of this season. His deal is that they not list him as a "franchise" player or restricted free agent, so he will be free to negotiate a new contract with whomever. That's usually pretty motivational stuff.
Farve has been struggling without Rice so the addition of Randy Moss should really help out the offense. Plus Farve seemed almost giddy at the thought of throwing to him, saying something to the effect of maybe he might throw it Moss' way with eleven guys covering him. At the very least, the deep threat should help the running game even more.
I'm really looking forward to Monday's game and the rest of the year now. I said before the season started that I would take 4-4 thru the first half, and I still will, but the outlook for the second half is now a little brighter. This may be the best last shot for a while as I don't believe Farve or Moss will be back next year. Or maybe they will. Or maybe not. Or ....;)

Paul McGaha
10-09-2010, 5:26 PM
Just my opinion but I'm going to give the Patriots the benefit of the doubt that they thought the trade would be best for the Patriots in the long term.

A 3rd round pick though isnt much compensation for the production that Randy Moss gave them the last (3) years. Lots of receiving yards and touchdowns. One of the most productive receviers in the league.

He looks to me like he's got a couple of more good seasons in him?

PHM

Rick Moyer
10-10-2010, 9:52 AM
ESPN has an excellent article written by Bill Simmons that really hits the mark why this was a good trade for all parties, and particularly why the Pats made it happen. It's called "Randy Moss trade the right move". Search for it if you're interested. If you listen to Collin Cowherd you've heard his mantra of "don't marry the stripper"; this is very similar.