PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Sweetheart Low Angle Block plane - updates?

Adam Cavaliere
10-05-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi All,

I just had a post about a problem I was having with sharpening the iron from the Stanley Sweetheart block plane I purchased. Well, I noticed that there was a gouge in the cap that I hadn't caused, so I took it back to the store. I decided not to exchange it, but get a refund. I wasn't sure what happened to the plane, but I was concerned I got someone's return that they messed up.

I then decided to start doing some more research about these planes, and what I turned up was a lot of discontent about Stanley in general (post WWII). I have read all of the different reviews done on these new planes, along with the many many opinions on this message board and others.

To sum up what I read so far, the body seems to be pretty nice (exactly what I experienced) and the blade seems to be of good quality - for the most part, I would have to agree, though I am not sure why I was having problems with the one I had. The complaints all revolved around manufacturing defects, like something skewing the blade, or the throat not closing tightly enough. In the official reviews, the reviewers said that Stanley was going to address this. That was said 8+ months ago.

So now I want to know, do you guys know if they have fixed those problems? I haven't been able to find any updated reviews.

While doing my research, I have seen many people passionately speaking about L-N or LV. I am interested in the LV low angle block plane, but it is pretty much double the cost of what I could get the Stanley plane for on Amazon. What should I be looking for to justify such a difference in price? Ultimately, if the quality control issues have been fixed, this plane seems to be a good deal for $75. Am I wrong?!

The big thing to me, and I am looking to you guys to tell me if it should be something to be interested in, are the two guide screws on the LV plane. I guess they are supposed to keep the blade from skewing. Previous to this, I was using a CHEAP Borg block plane that definitley let the blade skew every once in a while.

I really tried to do research before posting this question. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

James Taglienti
10-06-2010, 7:41 AM
Did you even get a chance to use it before you brought it back?

David Weaver
10-06-2010, 7:52 AM
I think getting one or two LV planes is worth it if you're a little green in the ball game.

From time to time, the low angle LN block planes come up for sale for $125 or so lightly used - maybe not on ebay, but on the forums.

There is a drastic difference between the new stanley planes you're talking about and the post-WWII planes. The new planes are made in mexico with an english iron, and they've only popped up in the last year or so. The old planes were either made in england or in the US.

The trouble with the older planes (after WWII, especially signfiicantly after) is that cost cutting had pretty much taken the accuracy and any decent finish work there ever was out of manufacturing.

The new ones, they have no excuse to miss details on because they're using cheap labor and supposedly tighter tolerances. If they don't make them well, it's just because they're being lazy and sloppy.

Anyway, another good option is to get a vintage 60 1/2 from stanley or one of the other makers. Make sure whatever you get has an adjustable mouth. It's likely you'll get a lot of people advocating that, but I would try if you can to make sure that it's a plane someone has been using recently. I've gotten some older block planes that required a significant level of attention before they were suitable to use, including older stanley block planes. If someone's currently using one, then you at least have a better chance that it'll work well. they should be something you can find for $40 or so in great condition, I'd think.

Some of the older block planes I've seen have the machining done extremely well, with a good tight fit on all of the adjustable parts, a mouth that will go from wide open to totally closed and be perpendicular to the blade, etc. I have gotten my hands on a "contractor series" 60 1/2 to test out a new iron, and there is a huge difference in the quality of manufacture.

I wouldn't worry about the set screws on LV planes, a decent plane will lock down tight once you have the iron set, and you'll be able to do it quickly by hand and eye. I have LV planes with set screws, but in all but the skew rabbet planes, they are retracted so that they are out of the way.

Adam Cavaliere
10-06-2010, 8:31 AM
James,

I was able to give it a try and I war pretty impressed with how thin of shavings I could get. Next to the contractor plane, this is the first real plane I have used. On a piece of red oak, it definitely did not cut as smoothly as it did on a piece of poplar. It cut through the poplar like butter.

I guess what I am worried about is that I don't know if I really will be missing something between the LV and the Stanley. If they did go back and fix the manufacturing problems, will I really notice that much compared to the price? BTW - I am not really interested in shopping for an old plane. I don't think I have enough experience or knowledge to know what I am looking for. Along with that, once I get the plane, I want to be able to use it without a lot of fuss.

David Weaver
10-06-2010, 8:44 AM
Well, if it worked well, gouge or not, if the gouge in the lever cap was in a non-critical place, it was probably an OK working plane and a high end plane may just be more tidy looking and not better in performance.

A plane that will take heavy and thin shavings exactly as you intend without chatter is about as good you're going to get in terms of performance.

Planing end grain on red oak is not pleasant in general. a little more hand tool woodworking, and you'll probably decide to skip using it for anything other than utility work. No matter how much you plane it, there are still dusty pores on the surface, and it splinters too much when working it.

Andrew Gibson
10-06-2010, 8:51 AM
I know your not are not looking for an old plane, but I just picked up a good shape Stanley 60-1/2 for $27 and dropped a LV 0-1 iron in it, flattened the sole (took about 3 minutes) and went to work. Total investment was around $60.

That being said If I wanted a new Plane I would go for LV or LN and skip Stanley's new offerings. I think the quality is worth the cost, and the value will not deprecate like a new car.