PDA

View Full Version : staple up ceiling tile repair????

Charles McKinley
10-05-2010, 8:56 PM
Hi All,

The upstairs toilet leaked and ruined about 12 tiles in the kitches ceiling. Is there an online tutorial I can look at so I can cut out the damaged tiles and hide the patch without it sticking out like a sore thumb. It is the Armstrong 62A tiles that must be staples up.

Thank you,

Ben Franz
10-06-2010, 1:35 AM
Never worked with these tiles but seems like it would be straight forward to cut out the bad tiles and staple new ones up. The fasteners are probably hidden by the T & G or lap seams. You might have to cut part of the groove away on the last tile to get it into place and use a construction adhesive to hold it instead of staples. Or, I might be completely wrong about everything. Good luck.

Rob Fisher
10-07-2010, 1:48 PM
Never worked with these tiles but seems like it would be straight forward to cut out the bad tiles and staple new ones up. The fasteners are probably hidden by the T & G or lap seams. You might have to cut part of the groove away on the last tile to get it into place and use a construction adhesive to hold it instead of staples. Or, I might be completely wrong about everything. Good luck.

This is pretty much exactly how I have done it in the past.

Rob

Charles McKinley
10-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks guys!

The bad news is you can only get this tile by the case.

Rick Moyer
10-10-2010, 9:56 AM
Thanks guys!

The bad news is you can only get this tile by the case.

But the good news is you CAN get it, right? My experience (with 2x2 or 2x4) has been they quickly become obsolete. Fortunately when I had a problem it was small and I had enough extra tile from the original install. maybe by-the-case will be a good thing down the road!