PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia cherry Shaker clock

Brett Robson
10-05-2010, 8:11 PM
Here's a little Shaker clock I finally got around to finishing this morning. It's made from ambrosia cherry which I think lends a bit of modernism to a very traditional design.

I kept it simple (read cheap) as far as the movement. It's just a quartz movement with no chimes or pendulum.

Finish is Arm-R-Seal/Seal-A-Cell. It was a fun project and for the most part I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

Critiques are always welcomed!

Jim Becker
10-05-2010, 8:40 PM
Brett, I really like your version of this clock...it looks great. The panel really worked out well, too.

Brett Robson
10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Thanks Jim,

The door panel is actually a bookmatch that I cut to orient the "spalting" (for lack of a better term) down the center of the panel. It seemed to work out ok I think.

Pat O'malley
10-05-2010, 11:33 PM
Brett, I really like the figure in the wood, what's the finish; gloss,satin???

Brett Robson
10-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Pat, the finish is semi-gloss Arm-R-Seal. It's pretty much my favorite finish!

Dave MacArthur
10-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Yes, the book-matched spalted panel is really great. Nice job!

Kevin Adams
10-06-2010, 9:08 AM
Hi Brett,

That's a beautiful clock, great job!

I'm also very interested in your tool cabinet in pic#2...any chance you could post another photo or two of that?

Thanks,
Kevin

Brett Robson
10-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Hey Kevin,

I build this chest a couple years ago. I made it mostly from some scraps I had lying about the shop. The case is nothing special, just boring pine from the BORG. The insides are mostly walnut and purpleheart with some wenge and hard maple bits here and there.

I continue to tinker with it as I accumulate tools. It started out just as a box to hold some old planes that belonged to my grandfather and a few from great-granddad. I admit It's patterned off the masterpiece built by H.O. Studley, although mine comes nowhere even close to his level of craftsmanship.

Kevin Adams
10-06-2010, 2:49 PM
Hi Brett,

Thanks, that is really nice! And yes, I was definitely thinking Studley when I saw it in the earlier pic. That's a great assortment of tools, too. One of these days I need to make me a decent cabinet like this...thanks for the inspiration!

Take care,
Kevin

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 7:58 PM
Very neat and I love the bookmatching!