PDA

View Full Version : coloring epoxy

John Showler
04-07-2003, 1:18 PM
I recently turned a nice pen (fountain) from a chunk of Buffalo horn - fairly cool material, tho it really stinks like - buffalo. Anyhow....

After finishing, sanding polishing etc. etc. I noticed that where the horn was thin, it was translucent. Duh! I can see the brass tube inside, enough to make the pen not sellable, IMHO.

Soooo, I thought that if the next time I do this I color the epoxy either black or drk. brown, it would cover the tube, and prevent it from being seen. So, how do you color epoxy in such a way that it maintains its strength?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Thanks in advance,

John Showler in NJ

Dave Richards
04-07-2003, 1:36 PM
There are colorants for epoxy. Graphite can be used for black. Check with http://www.westsystem.com/

Bill Grumbine
04-07-2003, 1:42 PM
Hi John

I've used stove black from the hardware store with good results. The graphite might work better if is in a solid form though. Stove black is usually a liquid, and so it thins epoxy, whereas a soild will actually act as a thickener. Another thing to consider is the thickness of the cured epoxy. Since it will be a very thin layer, you will need a high amount of color in it to make it the color you want.

Bill

Jim Becker
04-07-2003, 1:48 PM
Originally posted by John Showler
Soooo, I thought that if the next time I do this I color the epoxy either black or drk. brown, it would cover the tube, and prevent it from being seen.

Coloring the epoxy "might" help, but as was also pointed out, the layer is very thin. You might try spray-painting the tubes black before you assemble the horn pen blanks...that, combined with the black epoxy (or black CA--yes, it's available) should take care of the problem.

Scott Greaves
04-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Hi John,

This kind of thing happens occasionally, especially with some of the plastics. First of all, paint the tubes. Testors model paint is supposed to be the most durable. CA glue can cause problems with dissolving the paint on the tube. Epoxy doesn't seem to do this. To color the epoxy I usually just use some tempra powder. It comes in lots of colors and is available at most craft stores.

I have never turned the buffalo horn. Water buffalo, right? It seems that it would be real pretty. LOL at smelling like buffalo!

Scott.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
04-08-2003, 12:14 AM
are notorious for being transluscent. I've made several. Since my main hobby is engraved powder horns, I have lots of tips to play with. I use the model paints and have done great. You can use any colors you want and it dries quickly. Good luck!

John Showler
04-08-2003, 7:58 AM
N/M

Glenn Hodges
04-08-2003, 3:38 PM
I sometimes use Ritt dye with pretty good results.

jerry cousins
04-08-2003, 6:55 PM
hi john
i use epoxy regularly to fill pin hole jeweler saw blade holes in marquetry. to color the epoxy i use painter's dry pigments. squeeze out part 1 add the pigments until you get the color, add part 2 and apply. i'm not so good at matching colors, but i haven't found the epoxy to fail yet.
hope that helps

jerry