PDA

View Full Version : Placing 6 degree mortice in board

Don Morris
10-05-2010, 7:17 PM
I have to place multiple 1" wide X 1/4" deep mortices separated by 1/2". in a 20" long board. The trick is they have to be placed at a 6 degree angle. Suggestions on how to proceed. Is there an obvious std. way to put angled mortices in a board? Thanks for suggestions and guidance.

steven c newman
10-05-2010, 7:24 PM
A shim, cut at the angle you need can be placed under the board. The mortiser will still be at 90 degrees to the table. The board just slides along on the shim/wedge. Make the wedge long enough to go past each end of the table. Note: a shim or two from a package of door shims will work just fine.

Will Overton
10-05-2010, 7:25 PM
I have to place multiple 1" wide X 1/4" deep mortices separated by 1/2". in a 20" long board. The trick is they have to be placed at a 6 degree angle. Suggestions on how to proceed. Is there an obvious std. way to put angled mortices in a board? Thanks for suggestions and guidance.

If you are using a mortiser, cut a shim to hold the board at 6 degrees. Put the shim between the board and the fence.

Chris Padilla
10-05-2010, 7:25 PM
Domino with a shop made fence to get the required angle but you probably don't have one of those.

What tools do you have? A mortiser? Do them all by hand?

Jamie Buxton
10-05-2010, 8:02 PM
More info... What tools do you have? Hollow-chisel mortiser? Drill press? Plunge router? Just hand tools?

Stephen Cherry
10-05-2010, 8:36 PM
Your table saw has a big angle scale. For my hollow chisel mortiser I like to use a section of 4x4 with a notch ripped at the angle, with the sides of the notch at 90 degrees to each other. That way the board is referenced on two sides.

Don Morris
10-06-2010, 12:59 AM
After reading the post. I think it may need clarification. The mortises only need to be: 1/4" W X 1" L X 1/4" Deep. Multiple, separated by 1/2". The shim sounds simple and I briefly thought about that. I believe I could make a jig up to use that with my plunge router. I don't have a hollow-chisel mortiser (hmmmm, new tool?).

steven c newman
10-06-2010, 1:10 AM
made up of two 1xs with a shim running down the center line. Plunge bit through the shim. The 1xs would be on either side of the shim, and act as a guide for the router.

Philip Rodriquez
10-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Just eye-ball it.;)

glenn bradley
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
If you are making louvers, which it sounds like you are, a hardboard jig and a plunge router would be my choice.

Don Morris
10-06-2010, 3:34 PM
The project is essentially like louvers, so the hardboard jig and plunge router is what I'm going for. Thanks for the ideas!