PDA

View Full Version : Another recycle project

steven c newman
10-05-2010, 5:09 PM
Old waterbed parts. I had three good 2x10s from an old water bed. I needed to build a sofa table for my Daughter. So, I milled, and resawed some ( most) of those three boards down to something useable. The old bed was walnut stained ( pine stained to look like walnut, is still just pine) so I got rid of most of the finish with the planer. Planer's blades needed to be replaced anyhow, but they were good enough for this job. :rolleyes: Right now ( due to a strange, 12 hour work schedule:mad:) all I got done was the milling up. Table is to be a Mission Style kind of thing, about like a TV Table I made awhile back. While digging those boards out of the ( overpacked) garage, I found a nice piece of 3/4" plywood:D. That is going in as the bottom shelf. Now, IF I can get a couple of pictures to post:

steven c newman
10-05-2010, 6:26 PM
Were resawn on the tablesaw. After getting close to the fianl size, a pass through the "good' part of the planer smoothed thing up. Tablesaw is an older, Emerson version, of a Sears Craftsman Contractor saw. The parts shown are sitting on this Frankensaw. Parts from two similar saws were cobbled together to make a larger saw. All four wings were re-used, one to the left, three to the right. Blade was re-aligned to 90 degrees (finally) by repairing the tilt shaft holder. Tilt now works the way it is suppose to. Cross-cutting 9' of 2x10 on the saw was FUN. Top will be 1-3/8" thick, by 16" wide, by 48" long. Legs are 1-3/8" square, by 32' long. There are two sizes of aprons. The top front and back ones will have a curved section to them, and are 4" wide. The bottom ones will be straight, and are2-3/4" wide. The end aprons will also be straight in profile, and are 10-1/4" long. Those thin boards on top of the pile are for slats that will be at the ends. Just playing with pine, again.:D

John Packwood
10-06-2010, 1:50 AM
Nothing finer than free wood. Or wood you already own. I have used a lot of it found on the curb.

Phillip Ngan
10-06-2010, 4:14 PM
Old waterbeds are a good source of recycled wood. I once picked up a kauri waterbed (in NZ) and made two mirror frames out of them, one for me and one for my woodwork teacher.

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 7:55 PM
Free and recycled wood is always cool to work with!

steven c newman
10-08-2010, 12:13 AM
Spent some time in the shop tonight::D

steven c newman
10-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Finally remembered to bring the glue bottle out to the shop. I completed the slats on the ends, glued up the base, and added a bottom shelf. Corner blocks were added around the inside of the top aprons, with a "stretcher" dovetailed in the middle of the long aprons. All mortises were hand chopped, and that dovetailed stretcher was also done by hand. A few nails were added to hold it in place until the glue dried. A few pictures:

steven c newman
10-13-2010, 5:08 PM
The tenons for the aprons had to be beveled, as they meet in the legs. I tried a block plane to bevel them, did a lot of tear out on a tenon. Mitersaw would not reach where I needed it to, without taking a piece off the apron's end. So, I used my bench grinder to do the bevels. Corner glue blocks were left-overs from another project. I had to make them a bit longer than usual. I needed some clearence around the leg corners. Plywood shelf was a found item in my garage, and sits on cleats. I'll screw the shelf down to the cleats. Top will get five screws to hold it in place. One in each corner block, and one through the center stretcher. All five will be slotted holes. Just a simple little table.:D

steven c newman
11-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Table has been delivered. Daughter didn't even want anything else done to it. Now has a place of honor in her house. Were it it my house, a second "leveling' coat of stain, and a few coats of varnish would have been added. Oh well, it's her's now.:cool:

Matt Lau
11-05-2010, 3:13 AM
Nice work!

Peter Hanson
11-05-2010, 8:59 AM
Great job!

john looser
11-05-2010, 6:48 PM
Great use of reclaimed wood , it looks very nice !