PDA

View Full Version : Double Double Gloat Gloat

Van Huskey
10-05-2010, 4:52 PM
Well, I figure I have a gloat, they are finally in my greedy little hands but unfortunately, just sitting until I get my shop finished. I picked up an excellent BS and DS both are three years old and look like they just came from the factory with very little use, he had very piece of documentation the machines came with including the original invoices.

MiniMax MM20 20" bandsaw
MM cool blocks guides
1" variable TPI Lenox Trimaster
7 new carbon blades from 1/8" to 1 1/2"
Euro mobility kit
Zambus casters (the owner liked the casters better, I like the Johnson bar)

Woodmaster 3875 38" drum sander
DRO
reversing switch
HTC premium mobile base
4 new 25 yard rolls of sandpaper
infeed/outfeed tables

$4750 all in. These were either very similar or exactly what I had planned to purchase new in the next couple of months and the price would have been rubbing up against 9K for them with all the extras. Although, it wasn't fire sale priced the quality and CONDITION were certainly worth it to me. Plus my wife and I spent a lovely (save the loading) afternoon with a fellow Creeker and his wife. Thanks, James!

No pics... didn't happen so:

glenn bradley
10-05-2010, 5:06 PM
Suuuuuh-wheeeet!

mreza Salav
10-05-2010, 5:18 PM
Those look sweet in any shop! Congrat's!!

Paul McGaha
10-05-2010, 5:19 PM
Very Nice Bandsaw and Sander.

You suck.

michael case
10-05-2010, 5:32 PM
Why don't you get some real machines like Ryobi or Craftsmen?

Jeff Monson
10-05-2010, 6:08 PM
Van, all I can say is NICE SCORE, 2 really nice tools, I'm drooling over that MM bandsaw.

Neil Brooks
10-05-2010, 6:21 PM
http://right-thoughts.us/images/uploads/knowsyousuck.jpg

I'm insanely jealous, just vomited in my mouth a little, and MAY have soiled myself.

Can I come over and play ????

Sean Troy
10-05-2010, 6:25 PM
Thats one sweet buy. You should be in seventh heaven. Good for you!!

Mike Cruz
10-05-2010, 7:10 PM
That's just wrong. Wrong I tell ya. Must be nice.

So, Van, that's how the other half lives...:rolleyes:

Bruce Page
10-05-2010, 7:23 PM
Congrats! I have the little brother to both of those bad boys. You are going to smile every time you turn them on.
BTW, my "Johnson bar" took up residence in my garage attic. I hated the thing.

Chris Nolin
10-05-2010, 7:27 PM
Human sacrifice, MiniMax and Grizzly living together...mass hysteria! :) I bet you're enjoying the dichotomy, aren't you? Nice find, Van! We finally get to tell YOU how much YOU SUCK!!!!!

Bruce Page
10-05-2010, 7:30 PM
I should mention that your drum switch is mounted exactly where Woodmaster recommends. I mounted mine on the end up by the height crank. It just made more sense to me.

Chris Padilla
10-05-2010, 7:38 PM
Van,

Nice haul...you suck...blah blah....

Can you take some pics of the MM cool blocks on your BS? I have an MM20...curious about these.

Peter Quinn
10-05-2010, 7:46 PM
Nice score man!!!:)

Mike Goetzke
10-05-2010, 8:32 PM
Nice score! I'm shocked in the size of the DS - didn't know they made them 38"!

Neil Brooks
10-05-2010, 8:34 PM

Yeah. Kinda' cool when you can run your dining room table top OR residential doors right through, huh ?

:cool:

Incidentally ... Mister Van Man ... I just went down to my shop, to do some (dreaded) tight bandsaw work.

I looked at my tools, and ... just started to weep a little bit.

You may have ruined me ;)

gary Zimmel
10-05-2010, 8:41 PM
Sweet machines and even sweeter gloat.....
Congrats Van. Oh and by the way. You suck!

Jim Becker
10-05-2010, 8:51 PM
Wow...definitely gloat-worthy! Congratulations on picking up two very fine machines for your shop, Van.

Jacob Mac
10-05-2010, 8:56 PM
Nice work, those tools will serve you well for the rest of your life.

Van Huskey
10-05-2010, 9:18 PM

Mine is just the medium sized Woodmaster drum sander they (as well as some others) make a 50"!!!!

James Jones
10-05-2010, 9:19 PM
Glad to see you got home and unloaded and everything was ok and no damage. I can truthfully say to all Creekers that I spent the most enjoyable day with Van and his wife that I have spent with anyone in a long time. They are extremely good Christian people and if you ever get the chance to spend some time with them you will understand what I mean. I hope you enjoy using both machines. Thank you.

James Jones

Van Huskey
10-05-2010, 9:27 PM
Van,

Can you take some pics of the MM cool blocks on your BS? I have an MM20...curious about these.

I will take some pics later tonight or tomorrow and get them up for you. I have a Carter stabilzer I think will fit but not sure yet will have to check it. The cool blacks have never been used and I had never seen them for the MM either I did see on the invoice they were $85 but over the last three years all the Euro stuff has gone through the roof, not sure what they are now.

Rick Markham
10-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Van, YOU SUCK!

Glad to see you finally got off your bubkiss and got a bandsaw :p Now all ya need to do is start using it, if that isn't a good reason (on it's own without the drum sander) to get the shop finished I don't know what is. Oh yeah, next time I have giant panels to flatten, instead of doing it by hand with my planes, I am coming over to your house... purely unannounced and uninvited, of course. :D

Glad to see you made out like a bandit, you certainly did your research!

Chris Brault
10-05-2010, 11:19 PM
very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Van,

Here they are, they just replace the side bearing sets, they adjust via a set screw.

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 12:12 AM
Van, YOU SUCK!

Glad to see you finally got off your bubkiss and got a bandsaw :p Now all ya need to do is start using it, if that isn't a good reason (on it's own without the drum sander) to get the shop finished I don't know what is. Oh yeah, next time I have giant panels to flatten, instead of doing it by hand with my planes, I am coming over to your house... purely unannounced and uninvited, of course. :D

Glad to see you made out like a bandit, you certainly did your research!

Rick, it may be unannounced but from this point on it can't be uninvited 'cause your welcome any time.

It is rather interesting to set up a shop from scratch all at one time, since I am leaving 90% of my tools in my other shop. I don't have the years of trial and error I went through setting up the first shop, this time I know what machines I want/need and I know where I need to spend the money and where I can cheat a little without bothering me in the long run. The one monetary negative this trip bestowed on me is my wife now REALLY wants a lathe, I have avoided the Vortex for 20 odd years but it looks like there will be a lathe in the new shop...

Dave MacArthur
10-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Awesome! YOU SUCK!

Been looking forward to seeing your purchases and have enjoyed all the band saw thread inputs... now I sure hope you don't stop participating in a good band saw thread! That MM20 looks great, and the resaw on it looks huge--what is the actual height you can cut?

We may need to be talking resaw and boards a bit more here, as I just had a mesquite fall down on a property, about 12" trunk, and I told the tree guy to leave the trunk in 6' sections. So start tuning that saw up, you're walking me through this!

Great tools, and congrats!

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 1:14 AM
Been looking forward to seeing your purchases and have enjoyed all the band saw thread inputs... now I sure hope you don't stop participating in a good band saw thread! That MM20 looks great, and the resaw on it looks huge--what is the actual height you can cut?

We may need to be talking resaw and boards a bit more here, as I just had a mesquite fall down on a property, about 12" trunk, and I told the tree guy to leave the trunk in 6' sections. So start tuning that saw up, you're walking me through this!

Great tools, and congrats!

I have always and will always love talking bandsaws, they are my favorite machine in the shop, partly because for a flatworker they are the one that holds the most mystery and requires a little black art with the science further they are the machine that has the most versatility maybe second only to the router/shaper but by far the least exploited.

The resaw height is a smidge over 19 5/8" and with the guard up I must say there is a rather intimidating amount of blade there!

A full bore resaw thread would be fun and full of interesting techniques!

The thread I plan to start in the next couple of weeks (when I get a handle on the work that allows my hobbies to exist) is bandsaw blades. There is a ton of confusion about them and although I am by no means a guru I hope to at a minimum start a discourse that fleshes out a lot of the issues.

Dave, I must also give you special thanks because you (and a couple of others) are the inspiration for me looking in the used market. I am one that likes the newest and most up to date toys and I hear people talk about the value of the used market all the time but 99% of the time they are talking about old arn something I respect but don't have the time to fool with. You showed that you could find high quality used machines if you are willing to look. One just has to sort through a lot of carbon to find the diamonds.

Rick Markham
10-06-2010, 1:52 AM
Van, I am looking forward to seeing all of your bandsaw/shop related exploits, I purely understand the guard retracted all the way intimidation factor. Mine with 12 3/4" is quite intimidating, when your staring at nearly 20" of open blade I can imagine... Sounds like good clean fun to me!:D I have to offer you thanks for your input with my purchase, you helped tremendously. Mine gets used nearly everyday. (Only nearly everyday, because I don't get shop time every single day) Mine has served me well so far! It has very much become the focal point of my shop and projects.

Yeah, I can hardly wait to eventually move into a dedicated shop space later down the road. Being able to have the foresight changes the equation substantially.

+1 on your wife wanting a lathe... you know you'll love it too. I've got a special spot saved in my tiny work area for a nice one, now I just have to come up off of my wallet to go get one.

Gary Herrmann
10-06-2010, 7:35 AM
Wow. Nice score.

You suck. Twice.

Phil Thien
10-06-2010, 9:07 AM
Wait, did your wife actually help load those machines?

If so, that is another gloat altogether.

Nice machines!

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 1:37 PM
Wait, did your wife actually help load those machines?

If so, that is another gloat altogether.

Nice machines!

No. However, she was insisting she could/would help with the unloading when the fourth member of the unloading team I had called up was running late.

Paul McGaha
10-06-2010, 6:26 PM
Van,

I think what you did here is the perfect way to buy used tools. Excellent condition and substantial savings.

PHM

Leigh Betsch
10-06-2010, 8:09 PM
I've got the same two machines. You're really gonna like them both. Make sure you have an adequate dust collector for the sander. I run mine with a CV1800. I also added a Laguna Drift master fence and ceramic guides, IMHO they are both improvements.

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 9:10 PM
I've got the same two machines. You're really gonna like them both. Make sure you have an adequate dust collector for the sander. I run mine with a CV1800. I also added a Laguna Drift master fence and ceramic guides, IMHO they are both improvements.

My plans are a 5hp DC vented outside so it should handle the sander. The DN fence is a definate, I love the Laguna guides but I am holding off for a while because I also like these guides and will see how that goes.

Chip Lindley
10-06-2010, 9:25 PM
$4750 all in. These were either very similar or exactly what I had planned to purchase new in the next couple of months and the price would have been rubbing up against 9K for them with all the extras. Although, it wasn't fire sale priced the quality and CONDITION were certainly worth it to me...

Van, any time pristine, heavy-duty, buy-once, cry-once machines can be had for almost 50% off, it's certainly a Gloat! You will love them both, and I doubt you will feel the need to trade up. Enjoy!

Dan Karachio
10-06-2010, 11:43 PM
I propose we put these pictures in the dictionary under Gloat. Wow, these are serious tools at a whole other level. Now please show us some drool worthy work from these awesome tools!

Van Huskey
10-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Now please show us some drool worthy work from these awesome tools!

I wish I could oblidge but 1 I am not sure my skills warrent drool from anything other than my hound and 2 I have not even broken ground on my new shop. :mad: If I keep buying tools for it I am going to have a full shop worth of tools and no shop! I gotta got serious about building. :o