PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Turnkey Laser?

Ben Lang
10-05-2010, 2:37 PM
Hello everyone,
I have been doing quite a lot of research here and there on the internet about Chinese made lasers and cannot seem to find very much customer content on the Turnkey Laser systems. I was wondering, since I have come across a significant amount of info on other lasers on this form, if anyone has any positive/negative experiences with the Turnkey system? Or if anyone knows of a thread/forum/review site what have you that I can read I would greatly appreciate it!

Dan Hintz
10-05-2010, 2:45 PM
If you're looking at a system called Turnkey, you'll have to point us to it for review (no hotlinks, please). If you're simply looking for a turnkey system, I wouldn't suggest Chinese systems as they can take a lot more hand-holding than a standard US- or CA-made system, as well as having technical support that's practically non-existent.

Ben Lang
10-05-2010, 3:06 PM
Sorry for not being specific

I am looking for reviews on the Turnkey branded system

http:// www dot turnkeylaser.com

Paul Phillips
10-05-2010, 5:36 PM
Ben,
I checked out the website, I would imagine the reason why no one here has heard of them before is that they appear to be simply one more new company selling Chinese made lasers with glass tubes. They are based out of southern Michigan so if that's close to you that may be a pus. They certainly sound impressive though based on their intro- "the most comprehensive equipment and software solution in the business"- wow! Don't get me wrong though, I have no idea how good their support actually is, so based on their prices they may be worth it at that price range of $8k. If you search the forums here for Chinese lasers you may find some U.S. dealers with a more established reputation but like Dan said they seem to require a bit more of a learning curve, and to reiterate nearly every post on Chinese lasers, you get what you pay for! Good Luck in your search.
Paul

Mike Null
10-05-2010, 6:18 PM
I have just finished a lengthy conversation with Tom Bernard of Lazerbuzz who has been testing this machine for 6 months. He's quite impressed with the product and the value it represents. (This company is offering Tom's products as a sales incentive)

There is a tech support system in the US and a parts center. I would suggest that further investigation into this brand is warranted based on my conversation with Tom and from looking at their web site.

It is also my understanding that there will be a two year full warranty available for purchase at what I regard as a reasonable price.

Dean Barber
10-05-2010, 6:24 PM
We were lucky to purchse our chinese laser from Dean Novakowski legacylasers dot com
he is about a 30min drive away from us. Our machine is a 60w and included a 2 year warranty for $8,000
We are in Pa not to far from VA

Joe De Medeiros
10-05-2010, 6:31 PM
Funny how my mind misread turnkey as turkey, must be because this weekend is Canadian Thanksgiving. :)

Tom Buzz Bernard
10-05-2010, 9:01 PM
Hi Ben,

We have been testing a TurnKey laser for six months; I wanted to make sure it ran well before LaserBuzz packaged any programs with them.

We also had reservations because of all the questions I’ve heard about Chinese lasers. I’ve heard a lot, mostly from other laser distributors. I truly believed some of them.

We are lucky, we get to test and run many machines, we hear about many issues with all laser systems, but try not to judge unless we have first hand knowledge. But I actually did believe some of the stories I heard about these “Chinese” lasers, maybe there is some bad systems out there?? Or is it bad companies, funny how all Chinese companies get grouped together, but not all American companies.

Well now we have first hand knowledge and I am completely impressed, TurnKey has USA support, they have a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, and anytime I wanted a questioned answered I either got someone on the line immediately or they called back within an hour, what more could one ask for? Michael Kirschke has been in this industry for many years and used to rep for a USA company, he says he wants to do this right and give customers a complete system with an opportunity for return on investment at a great value. A distributor who cares about his customers? Time will tell. Turnkey is new to the industry, but not Michael nor the laser he imports.

I am not advocating this laser over all others; I love our epilog, I would be proud to own a trotec, etc.

TurnKey gave us a machine to run because Michael felt we would give him a fair shake on its performance - it has run flawlessly for us. OK, OK I shamelessly will never refuse a free laser to test, but this was a gamble on his part if it failed. We only do vector cutting here and we were able to test speed and performance against two other laser makers. Believe what you want to believe, I am impressed. Solid built machine, runs with hardly any learning curve, (we use Corel X4) yes it is imported, has a lot of inclusive hardware and cost very little. I am still looking for the down side, I’ll let you know when I find it.

TurnKey even includes the computer and monitor with the laser (although refurbished- looked new to me) that impressed me also. I was told they do this to make it as Turnkey as possible – maybe that is why it is called Turnkey Laser, I must be a genius to figure that one out:eek: Stop making fun of me, suppliers can have a sense of humor.

I would be concerned, (if I sold lasers) but not with owning one these machines.

I was concerned about tube life, Turnkey does not sell any of its Lasers without a Freon Chiller (extends the life of the tube) $700 added value I’m told. We (LaserBuzz) contacted more than 30 individuals (some on this forum) who have one of these machines (same manufacturer) and not one of them has replaced their tubes and all but one has been running them daily for more than a year. Myth busted??? Yes I like the Mythbuster show also:rolleyes:

Again there are many good distributors and laser machines out there. When they do something wrong or do not take care of customers then I think one should attack their credibility.
I am doing a trade show and seminar with Epilog this weekend in Buffalo, NY and I plan to do a show with Turnkey Laser in the future. I will work with any company that I believe takes care of their customers. I say this because I care about my reputation and I will not work with some companies – enough said.

I should put a disclaimer on this for anyone who might be looking at LaserBuzz packages are included with every Turnkey Laser. We work with other companies as well - think what you may think. I have helped laser owners who are not our customers, just as other good suppliers will do. Some of us really do care about your success, if you do not succeed you will never buy from us or anyone else, so a good supplier understands that and will help you in anyway they can! I feel comfortable with Michael and this laser, I’m sure once there is a single problem I might get hammered by this thread.

I personally do not want anyone to have problems with their laser machine, nor do I want you to get a lemon, it’s hard enough to start a business.

Ben if you do decide to buy one of these TurnKey lasers you can also call me if you have any questions, I know the answers now, I didn’t before.

Note: Mike says he will be demonstrating a new 80 watt machine he installed at the Woodcraft store in Cincinnati this Saturday if you live close by to check it out?

Ben Lang
10-06-2010, 3:02 PM
Thanks to all who responded!

This is valuable information that I will use to further my research.

So are there any positive comments that can be made about Legacy since I see that name further up the thread?

I am curious how easy it is to go from Corel X5 to the TurnKey if anyone can comment?

Again Thanks a lot for the needed info.

Mike Null
10-06-2010, 3:06 PM
Ben

I'm not sure I understand your point about X5 and Turnkey.

Turnkey offers X4 as part of their package. I don't know of any reason X5 wouldn't work but you can call Turnkey to ask your question. 734 778-3669

Ben Lang
10-06-2010, 3:18 PM
I mean can you just print directly to the laser or does it have to be imported into another program before the job starts (I only said x5 because that's what I run in my shop)

Dan Hintz
10-06-2010, 5:00 PM
Ben,

Excellent question... I would never recommend any system that will not allow you to print from a major program like Corel. I hear some of the higher end Asian machines allow it, but it will be up to Turnkey to answer for their particular system.

John Frazee
10-06-2010, 6:09 PM
Tom, I thought you were a pretty smart guy. Well, smart that is.:D Anyway, I feel you have crossed the line and joined us "doomed" people by having good things to say about the Chinese made lasers. Watch out because Dan and others are going to slam you. I have used my Chinese laser going on three years. My rep will either answer the phone or call me back within an hour just as yours did. I don't call him with problems, I call him to chit chat:). It's good to see a reputable person has used and approved a Chinese system.

Mike Null
10-06-2010, 6:37 PM
It is my understanding that you print to the laser with CorelDraw which is why it is included in the Turnkey package.

I have spoken to Mike Kirschke of Turnkey.

Dan Hintz
10-06-2010, 9:19 PM
Watch out because Dan and others are going to slam you.
I take issue with that statement, John. I believe I have been very fair-handed in my statements about both US- and Asian-made systems. When I make statements about the extra work required to run Chinese systems, it's almost always aimed towards the lower-end systems that people are looking at ... the 40W units that require one or more levels of indirection to get your file to the laser, tweaking of fiddly mirror mount adjustment screws that fall out, etc. (I use to own one of those systems). They can work well, but you simply cannot describe them in the same way as even the smallest US-made system. The larger Asian-made systems have a significant number of improvements, both in "extras" in general, and in overall system improvements from R&D (or stealing) the last few years.

I don't pull punches, but I don't think I'm unfair in my assessments, either...

Mike Kirschke
10-07-2010, 3:32 PM
Hi All,

Just a point of information - you can print Directly from Corel X4 or X5 to the TurnKey laser system. Our driver lets you print by color choice, set speed and power, select cut, score, engrave by color and set the order pf processes (which color first) It is very versitile and easy to use.

Mike

James Leonard
10-07-2010, 4:50 PM
Hi Mike,

There was mention of an optional two year warranty, want to give us some details on that? I can't find any on the website currently.

-James

Mike Null
10-07-2010, 5:53 PM
James

Please give Mike Kischke a call on this matter. I simply had a conversation with two people about this equipment and am not qualified nor authorized to provide warranty details.

I didn't notice earlier but I see now that Mike has joined the forum. Welcome Mike.

Ross Moshinsky
10-07-2010, 5:54 PM
No offense, but these warranties are a bit of a joke. If you buy a TV from Walmart and buy one of those $150 3yr warranties you aren't getting a warranty from Walmart or from the manufacturer. Some insurance company is warrantying the product and will send out a certified repair person to fix the issue. With this 2 year warranty, you are basically buying into a brand new company and saying they will be around to offer you support. Considering how bad the rate of new businesses staying in business is, I'd say you are taking quite a leap of fate by buying into any extended warranty.

As for these machines, I think companies like Turnkey, Brightstar, Logilase, ect have a sound business model. It's whether or not these small operations can keep up with the service demand is another story. It only takes a couple of sour $8000 credit card transactions to really put you on your behind. Personally, I think it is wiser to stick with regional sales so you can service the products without having to think about airfare and fighting battles 2500 miles away.

Either way, I have strong interest in a 60-80W machine in the near future with a 24x36 table. My small laser is fine, but 30w and 12x18 is a bit limiting.

Mike Null
10-08-2010, 7:37 AM
Ross

Without knowing the details of this warranty you have lumped it, and I don't know what others, together. This appears to be a "factory" warranty rather than a purchased product insurance third party type warranty.

Certainly, there have been many examples of scam artists in the product insurance field--one rather large one headquartered here in St. Louis--but my take is that this is not the same.

The gentleman who owns this company has a long and reputable career in the laser field. I would caution against speculation and generalization.

Martin Boekers
10-08-2010, 9:19 AM
Mike,

Speculation and generalizaion here?:rolleyes::D

Aleta Allen
10-08-2010, 9:30 AM
I personally am very interested. I think the US company support is over rated. I don't think it is as good as other think it is. Yes, I want and need support, but, I am willing to check into this laser further and have an open mind. I have a laser with a US company and have had nothing but problems, and still have problems as it is still not fixed. And if I can help a new small US business grow, I am all for it. :)

I think lasers are a lot like some other things, there are always bad lemons and extra good ones. Consistent good ones is not as common.

I also think everyone has their favorites, no problem with that! I have not found a favorite yet, but am looking!

Martin Boekers
10-08-2010, 9:35 AM
I personally am very interested. I think the US company support is over rated.

One thing about support, you never realise just how important it is until
you need it.;)

Marty

James Leonard
10-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi,

Mike Null,

The question was posed to Mike Kirschke. I am definitely buying a laser early next year. I wrote my first laser utility for CorelDRAW and I intend to make many more. I have been investing in equipment so I know my software works and is useful.

I have traded emails with Mike Kirschke. But I am waiting for the ARA show in Las Vegas. BrightStar will be there and other vendors of what appears to be the exact same laser (legacylasers ??). I believe it is a WKLASER model but not sure. Legacylasers is offering a spare laser tube on one of their models.

The 24 x 36 is attractive to me, but even though it has casters I have been told that you really can't roll it around. That does not work well for me since my workshop is 100% reconfigurable (except for the shelving on the walls) with all my other large power tools on wheels. Since the 24 x 36 also has a pass through capability it would need to be installed away from a wall unless it can be rolled for clearance as needed.

Lots to learn here.

-James

Joe De Medeiros
10-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Hi,

Mike Null,

The question was posed to Mike Kirschke. I am definitely buying a laser early next year. I wrote my first laser utility for CorelDRAW and I intend to make many more. I have been investing in equipment so I know my software works and is useful.

I have traded emails with Mike Kirschke. But I am waiting for the ARA show in Las Vegas. BrightStar will be there and other vendors of what appears to be the exact same laser (legacylasers ??). I believe it is a WKLASER model but not sure. Legacylasers is offering a spare laser tube on one of their models.

The 24 x 36 is attractive to me, but even though it has casters I have been told that you really can't roll it around. That does not work well for me since my workshop is 100% reconfigurable (except for the shelving on the walls) with all my other large power tools on wheels. Since the 24 x 36 also has a pass through capability it would need to be installed away from a wall unless it can be rolled for clearance as needed.

Lots to learn here.

-James

it also looks like a HFlaser (redsail)

James Jaragosky
10-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Hi,

Mike Null,

Lots to learn here.

-James
James, A few points to be aware of.

Not all Chinese made machines are of the same quality even if they look exactly the same from the outside.
No laser is going to be all that easy to relocate around your shop. You will need to re-align your lens with most moves and you will need to address the problem of exhausting the out-gases.
Do not put much stock in an extra tube,they have a limited shelf life and based on my experience you should get at least 2 years on the original tube.

Aleta Allen
10-08-2010, 1:17 PM
One thing about support, you never realise just how important it is until
you need it.;)

Marty

I agree, support is needed and important, I was meaning that I don't think all US companies give as much support as some might think.:rolleyes: Believe me, I have needed more then I should have needed it!

Steve Simons
07-31-2011, 1:42 PM
As a new member and stumbling on to this thread, I wanted to post some information about the Turnkey Laser products.Recently at an embroidery show in Houston, Mike Kischke was showing a 40 watt unit to the embroidery industry. The machine, his knowledge, and the price point were all rather impressive. I can state with confidence that buying one of these units from them will add more than just a laser cutter to your tool set but also a wealth of industry know how and advice.Thanks Mike for all the info and we'll be in touch.Steve Simons

Craig Matheny
07-31-2011, 7:23 PM
Hey Buzz being you mentioned it (We only do vector cutting here and we were able to test speed and performance against two other laser makers) that you have multiple brand machines and I think Epilog is one of them how do they compare to each other. Dollar for dollar how does the yurnkey system stand up to the american made units?

Craig Matheny
07-31-2011, 7:24 PM
I am curious how easy it is to go from Corel X5 to the TurnKey if anyone can comment?

Buzz Said (we use Corel X4) yes it is imported

George M. Perzel
08-01-2011, 5:31 AM
Hi Gang;
I think that there are a few misconceptions going on here with regard to the statement "Prints directly from Corel". Perhaps the question should be: Does it print directly from a cdr file? I noticed from the Turnkey website that cdr's are not supported and suspect that this system uses the same general software as all the other chinese lasers-call it Lasercut, Laserwork, etc-whatever. All require the cdr to be imported into the software as an AI, dxf, or other file types.
One real test is how does it handle Coreldraw line widths? Must all lines be converted to filled objects in Corel before being imported? How about text? Is text treated as a vector object or as a bitmap?
I have found that the content of many of my cdr files has be be modified in order to run on the Chinese software-all raster info must be converted to a bitmap, vector info added, and then the whole thing converted to an AI file and imported. Otherwise weird things happen. Its not that the system/software is bad-its just different from the "traditional" Coreldraw approach and requires a different design methodology and thought process.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts