PDA

View Full Version : Did I really need a 6th TS?, or, How I Lost Your Mother

mark kosse
10-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Picked this up the other day from an old fellow. A 1952 Delta 1160 with a Delta CI base. You don't see them in this shape very often and even less with this base. This is in as found condition, not yet even cleaned. Has a 1HP RI motor. I just couldn't let it pass.

The wife took it surprisingly well. Of course she hasn't found it yet. I'm going to miss that gal when she does.

Mark

Stephen Cherry
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Mark, you needed this. Your wifey will just need to live with it.

Callan Campbell
10-05-2010, 1:01 PM
If you have all 6 table saws on hand, just stack them up and hide behind them whenever she's nearby. Of course, cover them with an innocent looking blue tarp first...:p This should work once or twice before you're busted....

glenn bradley
10-05-2010, 1:05 PM
No, no, no . . . just line them up so that they look like one saw from the door to the shop. You know, like soldiers march when trying to hide their numbers ;-)

Gary Hodgin
10-05-2010, 3:46 PM
Depending on whether you work on Sunday, six may be just enough or you need one more. Tell you wife that you can actually save money by rotating your ts's and not wearing them out as fast.

Kevin Begos
10-05-2010, 4:15 PM
btw, beautiful saw!

Troy Turner
10-05-2010, 4:16 PM
Set it up to be a specialized tool...moulding head, dado blade or what have you. Have something already made up using said set up. If/When she discovers it, wait a couple of days, pull out the piece, present it to her, and say you couldn't have made this without the specialized saw :)

michael case
10-05-2010, 5:40 PM
AA not only helps folks with Alcohol addiction, but all sorts of addiction. They have saved many marriages. I'm sure there is a chapter near you.

That is one beautiful old (like new) machine!

Neil Brooks
10-05-2010, 6:07 PM
All due respect ... which is easier to come by -- a '52 Delta in THAT condition, or ... a new wife ?

Just sayin' ......

[Wow. What a fantastic looking saw. I almost want to ask you to record it while it's running and post a file. Kinda' weird, I know, but .... ]

Paul McGaha
10-05-2010, 6:32 PM
It's a beauty Mark.

You must have a pretty big shop. Big enough to hold (6) table saws.

PHM

Jeffrey Makiel
10-05-2010, 9:30 PM
When she kills you, she can use it to dispose of your body.

By the way, it looks to be in fantastic shape.

-Jeff :)

mark kosse
10-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks Guys! I really shouldn't have posted this as a joke. My wife doesn't really care about all the saws, or the other large tools I have (I started to list them but all the sudden felt too ridiculous) any more than she did when she counted 70+ bamboo fly rods I have made or collected.

What I really wanted to focus on was the saw. It is in fine condition and with that base, kinda rare. Niel, you said it best. BTW, for those of you who don't know, this is a Delta tilt top table saw. Instead of the blade tilting, the table does, like on a BS. Different. I don't know how useful, but different.

If you look at how the blade guard tensioner rusted in exposed areas while where it was protected inside the arm, it is rust free. It just must have not been used much.

Thanks for the replies. mark

mark kosse
10-05-2010, 10:24 PM
OK, Maybe no 7 is in the future????

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/1990855641.html

Bruce Wrenn
10-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Only six, don't worry, I got you by one. They offset my four band saws, five RAS, twenty six routers, three jointers, four planers, five CMS.and nine air compressors. Some of these tools are on permanent loan to others.

Rick Markham
10-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Only six, don't worry, I got you by one. They offset my four band saws, five RAS, twenty six routers, three jointers, four planers, five CMS.and nine air compressors. Some of these tools are on permanent loan to others.

...and I thought I was a Tool Pig!:eek: Will you be my sponsor? :D

Nick Laeder
10-05-2010, 11:12 PM

Will you move in next door? I need to use a jointer.

Chris Brault
10-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Ya, that's a collection. Nice tablesaw. I thought i was getting a little carried away with my fifth router and second air compressor!!!!!!!

Andy Pedler
10-05-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm totally ignorant wrt old tools like this one, but I'm wondering what the deal is with the blade guard and the arm that extends from the back of the saw. Is that normal for saws built at the time? It seems like it would greatly limit the width of material you could push through the saw. Is this a special category of saw?

Nice looking tool and it is great that it is in such good shape.

Andy - Newark, CA

richard poitras
10-06-2010, 7:33 AM
Mark all this talk of the saw, but was it a Gloat??

Andrew Gibson
10-06-2010, 8:32 AM
Wait If you get that other saw on CL I will go find some trees and we can have a party with it.

mark kosse
10-06-2010, 8:38 AM
Andy, Sure it limits the width, but the saw was built in a different age. If you needed to cut something wider, you flip back the guard and go without one. Me I'm one of the "no guard" types.

Richard, Yeah, probably. 200.00.

John Coloccia
10-06-2010, 10:38 AM
You're not this guy, are you?
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1521484

Van Huskey
10-06-2010, 2:34 PM
Mark all this talk of the saw, but was it a Gloat??

It is a gloat as long as he is still alive and married (to the same woman he was married to at the time of purchase).