PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from WIA Marketplace

Casey Gooding
10-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I had the chance to visit the Woodworking In America Marketplace Friday and had some interesting thoughts. I visited and spoke to most of the vendors. There were many fine products and it was great to get the chance to try so many of them out.
Two, however, really stood out in my mind.
First was Ron Brese. I can only say his planes were spectacular!!! In my hands, at least, they performed far and above any other infill planes I tried. They were just beautiful to use and felt great in my hands.
The other was Don McConnell of Clark & Williams Planes was great. I spent nearly an hour at their booth with Don walking me through each of the planes and showing me the basics of molding planes and even the snipes bill plane. He also spent some time discussing plane making in general since it's an area of great interest for me. Thanks, Don!!!!!
Through these experiences, I will be a customer of each of these great makers in the future. All together, I really enjoyed the short time I was able to spend there.

David Weaver
10-05-2010, 12:05 PM
In my experience, having built a couple of infill planes - drastically different styles, the type of wood being planed makes a huge difference in how they feel.

You can show off two thing with an infill over and above a clattery bench plane:
1) how well it works on very hard very tearout susceptible wood
2) how it takes a light fluff shaving on normal wood to the point that you hear it planing but you barely feel it

If one vendor is showing off #1, the perception will be that their plane is not as smooth.

What i'm getting to is that I hope the other infill makers don't get slighted because they were showing their planes off with wood that would jerk a normal bailey-style bench plane around, when their planes would feel very much smooth with soft maple or cherry.

That's a whole lot of supposition - for all I know, you could've been planing ebony at Ron's booth and pine at the otheres, and if that was the case, then carry on. The design ron uses makes for a very nice very solid little smoother that locks up tight and is just about a fool-proof user. Only someone who can't sharpen a plane won't get great results with it.

The same feel should be there in the other ones if they're set up right, though, and I only mention this because when infill planes come up, invariably, the discussion erodes to expensive planes being artistic doorstops and wallet fatteners.

After all of the fairplay disclaimer, though, I will mention I've bought parts from Ron and they are great for a *very* reasonable price, and a lot of the reason my first "real" full sized smoother is a plane I'll never replace is due at least in part to discussion with Ron about what's important in making a plane perform. Things I figured out on my own or chanced into, like being very meticulous not just with bedding of the iron on the back side, but about fitting the lever cap to be absolutely dead on flush with the surface of the iron so that the plane not only performs well, but also so that it adjusts predictably, I saw Ron say afterward, too. No matter how good of a machinist you are, I think those things have to be done by hand and feel, and I'd bet Ron does that fitting work to make the planes "just so". A second-hand opinion from a buddy of mine who is not impressed by much also was of the "wow, these are a totally different ballgame" (as in better). I have not heard him give a positive opinion about much, but he sure liked Ron's planes.

Josh Rudolph
10-05-2010, 12:27 PM
Agreed.

The BRESE planes are absolutely gorgeous. It was definitely nice to be able to put my hands on some of the things on my wish list.
There are some very talented people making some very nice tools. Gives me something to aspire to.

My downside to the marketplace:
I came with a pocketful of money to spend. Money I had already justified to myself to spend if it was worthwhile to me(an extreme rarity for me). There were many things I almost bought, but didn't, there was no reason to. Most of the items I was interested in did not entice me to buy right then and there. I had really hoped to have seen some sort of a show discount. Quite a few were offering nothing. I truely believe a 10% discount would have created more sales for a lot of the vendors. With no discount offered, I decided to go home and wait to buy the items if or when I ever need them.

Don Newman
10-05-2010, 1:04 PM
The biggest take away I had was the severe disruption caused by the amplified hawkers. Since all the amplified booths were for power tool vendors, it prevented conversations with hand tool vendors. IMHO it made the event like a cheap side show.

Gary Benson
10-05-2010, 2:05 PM
I agree that it was pretty loud at times. The combination of the Senco palm nailer, the compound miter saw cutting crown molding, and the scream of the router cutting box joints was too much to take.

I was pretty busy all weekend, but I got to meet dozens of people who I have either used their tools, read their articles/books, seen their videos, or listened to their podcasts. I got to meet Frank Klaus, Marc Adams, and Chuck Bender, all great teachers with quality schools. From Popular Woodworking Magazine, I got to chat briefly with Chris Schwartz, Glen Huey, and Megan Fitzpatrick. As for tool makers, I spent time with Dave Jeske from Bluespruce, Mike Wenzloff, Konrad Sauer, Jameel Abraham, Gary Blum, Matt from Garbardi and Sons, and Ron Brese. They were quite simply the nicest group of individuals possible, and they all do great work. There were plenty of other individual tool makers there, and I was able to check out there goods as well, but the marketplace was busy at times. I also met a number of online personalities including Marc Spagnolo, Matt Vanderlist, Adam King, Tom Iovino, Kari Hultman, Tommy Mac, and Deneb from Lie-Nielsen. Having taken several week long classes, it was also nice to spend some time chatting with my friend Rob Cosman. I met all of these people in the marketplace, as I was not able to attend any of the classes.

Of course there were some limitations, but all in all, it was the most personal, most informational, and most rewarding woodworking show that I have attended. Hopefully, Popular Woodworking can keep the small intimate flavor, and still have it be a commercial success.

Ron Brese
10-05-2010, 3:38 PM
I was reading thru this thread and thought "no pictures!" I'll fix that,

Ron

Bill Houghton
10-05-2010, 3:42 PM
that Ron Brese owns stock in the companies that make replacement keyboards.

Ron, when you consider the number of keyboards across the world that were just ruined by drool caused by that picture you posted, you really should consider an investment like that.

Gary Benson
10-05-2010, 5:19 PM
I would add that I especially enjoyed meeting Ron, and he surprisingly recognized my name from right here on the Creek! I have used lots of Veritas, Lie-nielsen, and properly tuned stanleys, but I always guessed that the new crop of infills would be even better, but.......I did not realize that taking several for a test drive, especially Ron's, would make me want one so bad. If you ever get the chance to use one, be very careful!

Gary

Andrew Gibson
10-05-2010, 5:49 PM
I would add that I especially enjoyed meeting Ron, and he surprisingly recognized my name from right here on the Creek! I have used lots of Veritas, Lie-nielsen, and properly tuned stanleys, but I always guessed that the new crop of infills would be even better, but.......I did not realize that taking several for a test drive, especially Ron's, would make me want one so bad. If you ever get the chance to use one, be very careful!

Gary

Ron recognized my name from here at the creek as well, it really suprised me. Great guy to talk with, and his planes are top notch.

Doug Shepard
10-05-2010, 5:50 PM
I was reading thru this thread and thought "no pictures!" I'll fix that,

Ron

Stop it you tease:D