PDA

View Full Version : Motor question

Matt Benton
10-05-2010, 11:22 AM
I am building a dust collector from an impeller/motor that I just purchased, although the motor needs to be replaced. The stock motor is a 2HP, 3PH, 145TC frame motor. Does anyone know if a 3HP, 1PH, 145TC motor should have the same shaft size/keyway/etc?

Thanks!

Lee Schierer
10-05-2010, 2:24 PM
You should be able to get specifications on the particular motor from the manufacturers web site that will tell you the shaft diameter and key location.

M Toupin
10-05-2010, 6:11 PM
Measure the shaft to make sure the replacement is a fit, it's really irritating to find that out after the fact.

On another note, if the original motor was properly matched to the fan, you're aware that going to a higher HP motor isn't going to change the performance right?

Mike

Thom Porterfield
10-05-2010, 8:53 PM
As far as I'm aware, NEMA frame designations specify: mounting hole placements/sizes, distance from those holes to the face of the motor where the shaft emerges, distance from the support to the centerline of the shaft, diameter of the shaft, and whether it has a key.

The C in 145TC frame means there is no "bracket" attached to the motor for its support; the motor is mounted directly to the device it runs.

You suggest replacing one motor with a 145TC frame with another motor that also has a 145TC frame. Except for power requirements and wiring, it should be easier than putting a pencil in a pencil sharpener.