PDA

View Full Version : Ornament deluxe

Scott Hackler
10-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Here is a little dude that I wanted to try a extra feature in the finial. It looks pretty busy to me, but the LOML said its her favorite so I guess its will be staying on my tree this year!

Need some serious feedback on this "style" of ornament, so I know if its worth the trouble to make others.

Box elder and African Blackwood, Blo and Lacquer. 4 1/2" tall and 1 3/4" wide at the bulb and plenty thin at the stick.

Thanks,

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/ornament2.jpg
http://members.cox.net/cabletech/ornament2a.jpg

Jon McElwain
10-05-2010, 2:01 AM
and plenty thin at the stick.

Of course, you must be just kidding on being plenty thin because your signature quote is "No, it's not thin enough yet!" Just kidding. :D

When I first started seeing ornaments, they did not appeal to me for some reason, but as I have worked on thinner and thinner finials with delicate details, they have intrigued me more and more. I especially like the layers to this piece, five separate pieces sandwiched together gives a lot to look at. It is not too busy to me, rather, it is just detailed enough that it encourages a little more examination. The lowest detail on the finial gives just enough detail to give resolution to the end of the finial but it is not overstated.

My sole critique is the bulb on the lower finial. When I look at it, the bead appears to sag, and the transition from bead shape to cove shape is too abrupt and consequently makes the bulb seem oversized for the piece. Three suggestions related to this critique: 1) Raise the widest portion of the bead by say 1/8 of an inch or so; 2) Begin the transition from bead to cove perhaps 3/8 or even 1/2 of an inch higher than the current transition; and 3) make the cove less abrupt, sweeping gently from the bead into the long slender cove portion of the finial. Even if the first two items were ignored, by making the cove less abrupt, the piece would flow nicely. I think "lifting" the bead would give the bead shape more similarity to the other bead elements of the piece.

Again, let me emphasize that this is a delicate and pleasing piece that I for one would be proud to have hanging on my tree this year!

William Hutchinson
10-05-2010, 3:55 AM
Another fine ornament. Any critisim is going to be one of preference. I'd like the bulb a touch thinner and the bead mimicking the round of the ornament body.

I've enjoyed your posting ornaments over the past months. Your work has become refined and you've mastered the ultra fine details of icicle shaping. I'll be looking forward to your next creation.

John Keeton
10-05-2010, 6:24 AM
Scott, I agree with the comments so far, including those that compliment your work!! You are doing some excellent ornaments.

I would offer this - I prefer that there be only one spot on the neck where it is at its thinnest. Regardless of the length and diameter, there should be a pleasantly and sweeping (concave) taper to the thin spot. From the few I have done, it seems that .07" is just about as thin as is practical. A 1/16" is .0625".

Then, from the embellishment at the tip, a sweeping taper back to the thin spot. Obviously, the longer the finial/icicle, the more shallow the curve needs to be. It is hard to tell from your pick, but you may have accomplished that here, but without that flowing, sweeping curve. The bulb of the onion appears elongated, and tapers off too quickly for my tastes.

Again, so much of this is personal taste, and the fact that your wife likes this one overrides much of what has been said!!!:D;) She is probably right - I know mine is nearly every time.:)

Ken Hill
10-05-2010, 6:54 AM
I like it, especially the addition of the second matching peice in the finial. I liked it overall but can see where the bulb being smaller in diameter would be a tad more pleasing, but its purely a personal thing! Great work!

Thom Sturgill
10-05-2010, 7:46 AM
Scott, there is a principle in art that says that an element should not be a stand-alone but should be incorporated in the general form elsewhere. Normally in painting this would mean that an accent color should be reflected (usually toned-down) in several places in the painting. This is an aspect that has been missing in just about every ornament (including my own) that I have seen. Bravo!

That said, I would tend to agree with comment on the size of the lower bulb. I was taught that on the upper bulb the distance from the point where the top cap narrows to the similar point on the icicle should be close to the diameter of the upper bulb. I would apply that same rule to the lower bead, and again yours is close. Then draw a smooth line from the widest point of the upper bulb to the widest part of the bead to the point. The lower bulb should touch that line and it crosses way over it.

David E Keller
10-05-2010, 8:14 AM
Scott, I like it as is, but there are a few things I might do differently based on personal taste. I tend to like the more squat bodies on the ornaments I've seen... This would be an easier shape to mimic in the 'bonus' portion of the lower icicle. The other suggestion is exactly what Keeton typed, and I think it's his fault that I even know that.:D

I'm really enjoying your ornaments and the variety you've shown.

Michael James
10-05-2010, 9:47 AM
Scott, besides the personal size choices, the color contrast is PERFECT! :cool: Nice one.
mj

Scott Hackler
10-05-2010, 10:38 AM
These are all great observations, thanks. I agree about the proportions. This ornament fought me the whole way and its not exactly what I had picutured in my mind, but it was a good learning process.

Mistake #1 was smalll bulb. I had roughed out a few small bulbs/beads but used the same 1/2" drill bit for the center. Now that I see it completed, I realize that it needs to be a lot smaller.

Mistake #2, the onion doesnt have the "normal" flow and lines that I have been turning. Thats just a boo-boo on my part. I think that looking at the elements in total threw me off on the onion part.

It's all a learning process and I do appreciate the critiques. Its nice to have a non LOML opinion to confirm my own observations.

Steve Schlumpf
10-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Scott - you already received some good critiques, so I'll just add that I like the extra element. Looking forward to seeing where this new variation takes you!

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Scott can't comment much more than what has been said. Good looking ornament and can see why the LOYL wants it.

Vince Welch
10-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Your showing off Scott!!!! Proportions look right and finish is nice! Great job!

Vince

Michelle Rich
10-06-2010, 6:40 AM
your wife is right..it's a good 'un...

Mark Hubl
10-06-2010, 12:13 PM
Scott,

I like the complexity of the piece. Your ornaments are looking better and better. These small spindles are great challenges of skill and aesthetics. I think you are doing pretty well at both. And, your wifes opinion trumps any of us goofy wood spinners! Keep them coming.

Scott Hackler
10-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks again for the comments AND critiques. I just finished another version on this theme and used the constructive comments while creating it. Personally I think its a lot better than this one and I am concidering it for my contest entry, so I wont post a picture.

Baxter Smith
10-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Nice ornament. I like the multiple pieces used and that you limited it to two types that go well together.

Ron Bontz
10-06-2010, 8:20 PM
Excellent work.:)

Van Huskey
10-07-2010, 1:44 AM
Personally I think it is beautiful and the proportions seem correct to me.

Tim Thiebaut
11-21-2010, 8:38 AM
I am sorry for bringing up an older thread, I know some places dont like that, but I just had to say that this is just absolutly beautiful! The finial is so delicate and fine it is incredible, and the entire piece is beautiful, my hat is off to you, I only wish I can be half that good after a while...T