PDA

View Full Version : "African Sundae"

Scott Hackler
10-05-2010, 12:20 AM
This is the second piece I have finished out of my Box Elder score. The size is 5" wide and 9" tall. The natural edged cup is thinned to 1/8" everywhere. Sitting on a stem of Claro Walnut, the entire piece is finished in BLO and 6 coats of lacquer, Beal buffed and polished.

I call it "African Sundae" because, to me the spalting mark looks like Africa and the colors remind me of an ice cream sundae.

Comments are always welcome and appreciated, thanks!!

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/African1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/African2.jpg

http://members.cox.net/cabletech/African3.jpg

Richard Madden
10-05-2010, 12:40 AM
That's nice, Scott. Love the colors of both the Box Elder and Claro Walnut, and the stem has a good shape and proportions. I'm curious how you finish the bottom of that form. Great job!!

alex carey
10-05-2010, 12:43 AM
love the pedestal, excellent job.

Scott Hackler
10-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Believe it or not, I jam chucked this for finishing the bottom of the "cup". Turned the bottom down to about a 1" flat and left a 1/4" nub where the tailstock was. Sawed it off and sanded it smooth with the power sander.

William Hutchinson
10-05-2010, 4:08 AM
Nice piece, the box elder is lovely material that gives the eye plenty to absorb.

John Keeton
10-05-2010, 6:28 AM
Beautiful wood, Scott! And, you have done a nice job with it, as well. The little 'flip' at the leading edge of the cup adds a bit of interest. I like the pedestal style and good detailing.

Ken Hill
10-05-2010, 6:51 AM
Looks good from here!

David E Keller
10-05-2010, 8:18 AM
I really like it... I've got something sort of similar in the works, but I don't know that it's gonna look this good.

One thing I've done which makes things easier... When you reverse and jam chuck the piece, leave the little nubbin as a tenon to locate the form onto the stand. This helps more solidly connect the two pieces, and more importantly, it keeps you from having to do a lot of hand sanding on the bottom of the piece. YMMV

bob svoboda
10-05-2010, 9:30 AM
Very nice.

steven carter
10-05-2010, 9:49 AM
Scott,
Really nice piece! The wood combo is great, the form is fantastic, I really like the form of the pedestal. Great job. What David says make sense, leaving a small tennon for the join with the pedestal, I will try to remember that.

Steve

Scott Hackler
10-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah the small tenon at the bottom of the cup and a recess in the pedestal was on the list, but I forgot to drill the hole in the center of the pedestal before I got it turned! ooopps!. Its OK, though. Lining it up wasn't too bad and a liberal blob of CA gel seems to be holding it fine.

Steve Schlumpf
10-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Interesting piece Scott! I like the natural edge of the cup and the way you have the wood oriented with it being slightly off center.

Really like the pedestal! Looks balanced with clean detail work, nice curves and is not overly ornate!

Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
10-05-2010, 8:38 PM
Beautiful piece and some beautiful wood Scott. I really like the pedestal.

Paul Douglass
10-05-2010, 9:24 PM
Very beautiful.

Mark Hubl
10-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Nice. Like the thinness of this piece.

Scott Hackler
10-06-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the comments. There is a ton of this wood (in my pile) and I really like this type of form, so.... there will be a lot more of these turnings to come. To think that I almost left the tree to rot after just a few chunks!!

Anyway, thanks for looking and the nice comments.

Baxter Smith
10-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Nice looking piece. The flare at the top lip is a nice touch.