PDA

View Full Version : 18 Inch Chaplin Plane Worker or Keeper

Denis Morin
10-04-2010, 8:15 PM
I bought this a a real garage sale(inside an old garage) for $5. The line on the handle is there because my evapo-rust bath was not deep enough (but will be fixed) My concern is the weld on the handle. Is this a collectable (value??) or some thing to use?

David Weaver
10-04-2010, 10:21 PM
This is just my opinion - if they're in ideal shape, they're (at least some of them) worth a fair amount of money (I'd still use them).

If they're not, they don't sell for that much that I've seen. I just checked ebay completed listings to see if that's still the case, and it appears to be.

The "retail sellers" seem to have a higher opinion of them than the sales - by a large multiple.

Harlan Barnhart
10-04-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't anything of its value but it sure looks cool. I love the styling on the sides.

Jim Koepke
10-05-2010, 1:33 AM
If someone was willing to trade a Stanley/Bailey or a Bedrock for it, you might find the Stanley to be a better user.

jtk

James Taglienti
10-05-2010, 8:18 AM
I went through a phase where I thought maybe just maybe some of these rarer patented planes could possibly be better users than Bailey's design. It was the allure of rosewood sole strips and adjustable mouths and 1/4" thick cutters, i'm sure.

basically I was suckered just like some clueless apprentice of 1895. Most didn't work as well, if AT ALL- which doesn't surprise me in retrospect since a bit before the turn of last century was the heyday of bogus advertising claims, quack remedies, and general bull, almost as bad as it is today.

but I DIGRESS< Sharpen it up and give it a shot, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work very well, or if you notice some glaring design flaw while using it, or whatever. there's a reason it's rare, and that's cause for some reason or another, it was a flop.

george wilson
10-05-2010, 9:30 AM
James,actually,rosewood doesn't wear all that well. I can attest to that from personal experience in repairing wooden plane mouths with it.

James Taglienti
10-05-2010, 6:03 PM
I resoled a #604 smoother with rosewood george and it seems to be doing pretty good... of course it doesn't get constant use