PDA

View Full Version : Chisel handles

Harlan Barnhart
10-04-2010, 8:13 PM
A while ago I asked the collective wisdom of SMC where I could buy handles for socket chisels and the answer I got back was "make them yourself." So I thought I'd give it a try. Here are the results.

I started with square blanks and planed the octagonal facets with a block plane. I gauged the tapers mostly by eye. The last one certainly looks better than the first so I must be getting better. The sockets of these chisels were very irregular so it took a lot of time to get a good fit.

The brass rings started life as a 6" brass nipple from Home Depot. I cut the pieces with a hack saw and used a sandpaper and files to true up the edges. I need to clean up the wood, maybe with a little sandpaper, and give it a coat or two of BLO.

So, thanks for giving me the "push" to try something new.

Jim Koepke
10-04-2010, 8:20 PM
Looks pretty good for not having a lathe.

jtk

Joel Goodman
10-04-2010, 8:25 PM
And they will not roll off the bench!

John Packwood
10-04-2010, 8:36 PM
Looks good. Do you hire out?:)

Roy Lindberry
10-04-2010, 9:35 PM
Excellent job!

I find that for myself, the hardest part is making the decision to try something. Though not perfect, I often surprise myself with what I can do that I wasn't sure about before. It looks like taking the plunge was worth it for you. Next time, you won't even hesitate and you might be able to improve them, assuming that as you use them you become aware of things you "should have thought about" (as happens to me all the time).

Andrew Gibson
10-04-2010, 9:41 PM
There should be a saying about the hardest part of trying something new is making the first cut...

The handles look nice from here. I am also jealous of the gouge set.

Chuck George
10-04-2010, 9:44 PM
Harlan, nice job. I was getting ready to do the same thing with some new found sockets, no lathe here either. I've never rehabed chisel handles before. Are these friction fit or did you use a little epoxy for the sockets? What about the brass ring?

Thanks
Chuck

Jonathan McCullough
10-04-2010, 9:58 PM
Sweet. I love using those on convex surfaces, like the palm part of saw handles. You can also use those along with a coping saw to mitre moulding apparently. What are they, Swans? Witherbys?

Harlan Barnhart
10-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Are these friction fit or did you use a little epoxy for the sockets? What about the brass ring?
Chuck
So far they are just friction fit but I am considering epoxying the handles in the sockets. For now I plan to leave the rings and see if they get loose.

Harlan Barnhart
10-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Sweet. I love using those on convex surfaces, like the palm part of saw handles. You can also use those along with a coping saw to mitre moulding apparently. What are they, Swans? Witherbys?

It's actually a combination of two sets. The 1st, 3rd and 6th are marked "DM co." The 2nd, 4th and 5th are significantly heavier, shorter and marked "Union Hardware, Torrington Conn." I wanted lighter tang gouges but these were much cheaper on Ebay. I paid around $12 each including shipping. Now I can start looking to build an out cannel set. :D

Harlan Barnhart
10-04-2010, 10:18 PM
And they will not roll off the bench!
Originally I intended to plane them round but I liked the feel of the octagon.

Robert Culver
10-05-2010, 6:26 AM
Great looking handles. In the past I needed a push from a bull dozer to try something new. Now though Im on the opposite end of that spectrum and glad im there as im finding great joy in it. keep up the great work you will be glad you did.;)

John Toigo
10-05-2010, 9:02 PM
I like those. I haven't tried octagonal handles because I'm lazy & have a lathe. On another forum (OWWM) there was a 'File Handle Rodeo'. This was my entry...... Just for fun.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x286/Fencer257/P1010092-2.jpg