PDA

View Full Version : Delta Equipped

Ken Hill
10-04-2010, 6:29 PM
It arrived today, problem is both my sons decided today was the day the wanted to start turning:eek:

They have turned more today then I have LOL!!!! I also picked up a new Porter Cable press and the goodies from Woodcraft will start arriving tomorrow!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC2186/1034185747_6xjHq-L.jpg

Ryan actually turned his very fist game call this afternoon!

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/DSC2190/1034202342_AnqYa-L.jpg

Tony De Masi
10-04-2010, 6:41 PM
That's pretty cool Ken. I sure wish I had started that early in life.

Ken Hill
10-04-2010, 7:30 PM
Tony, my dad did everything with me when I was young, that is probably why I could weld (Mig , Tig and Arc) by the time I was 13. My boys jumping into turning is going to be fun, but I am not anywhere near qualified to properly teach them. Best thing I geuss I can do is go slow, let them work slow and try to make it safe and fun. Not sure how old one needs to be to hit a turning class if there are even any local:(

The lathe itself is fanatastic. Im already in love with the reverse for sanding and its almost too quiet. I have really bad hearing loss and walked away from it twice leaving it running! I might have to see about rigging up some form of light on it when its powered up.

It is as smooth as glass. The Jet I have isnt junk but in no where near the league of this unit.

I put the finish touches on a bell my wife requested and made the handle so I have officially broke it in. Other then adding more oil its done (and adding the actual donker)

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/BEA0883/1034225041_q3Pdm-L.jpg

David E Keller
10-04-2010, 8:29 PM
That's great, Ken. Looks like you need at least one more lathe so that all the boys can turn at once!:D

I think 13 is old enough to start turning, and game calls are probably perfect starting projects for learning spindle techniques, tool control, etc. I think most turners benefit from starting with spindle turning rather than starting with bowls. I can't remember where you are located, but most WC stores have turning classes for beginners. If you can't find a class, DVDs make great learning resources IMO.

Baxter Smith
10-04-2010, 8:39 PM
That is a great way to start! I am sure he will appreciate you getting him that lathe!:)

Greg Just
10-04-2010, 9:01 PM
congrats on getting your sons involved. Looks like you need to buy a second lathe!

Ken Hill
10-04-2010, 9:03 PM
congrats on getting your sons involved. Looks like you need to buy a second lathe!

3rd if i want to turn, the two I have look to be in use LOL!

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2010, 9:14 PM
Ken that is great. Doesn't get any better than that when kids want to get involved. Nice looking call and bell.

John Keeton
10-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Great times, Ken! And, excellent work on the bell.

Glen J. Peterson
10-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Congratulations! My 13 year old daughter has been turning for a couple of years. It sounds like it's time to invest in another lathe so there is one for you to use.