PDA

View Full Version : Just a Plane 'ole drawing

Rick Markham
10-04-2010, 3:43 PM
It's kinda woodworking related, the subject is a plane. Thought I would share a pic of my drawin' I just done fer skool... :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Rick357/007-6.jpg

Steve Beadle
10-04-2010, 4:26 PM
Good job, Rick! Is that bronze or "steel life"?

Rick Markham
10-04-2010, 4:35 PM
Very punny! It's a "steel life" :D

Kevin Grady
10-04-2010, 4:51 PM
Great drawing, however it looks a little plane... :D

Andrew Gibson
10-04-2010, 6:11 PM
Looks good to me. I was always better at abstract art...

nope, can't come up with a pun.

James Taglienti
10-04-2010, 6:37 PM
Looks to me like a Lie-Nielsen ca. 2005 done in the earlier BedRock style of around 1921.

Pat Barry
10-04-2010, 7:56 PM
Rick, School is actually spelled like this, but its OK since you are an art major, and very talented. Nice drawing.

Jim Koepke
10-04-2010, 8:18 PM
Good drawing skill. I like the knob high lights.

jtk

Rick Markham
10-04-2010, 9:08 PM
Pat... Actually I'm an Engineering majur...:p

Roy Lindberry
10-04-2010, 9:27 PM
Where are all the shavings?

Or is this a collector piece?

Rick Markham
10-04-2010, 9:34 PM
Roy, keen eye... this is exactly the question I was expecting. The iron is so sharp the fluffy shavings just floated away... right into Jim's mouth :D

Actually, this is only the third drawing I have ever done (doodling all my life doesn't count,) I didn't know if I was up for the task of including shavings. I should have, they will certainly be included in later drawings.

And just for reference, yes it is a LN no.4, and yes the subject is a user... and I suppose the drawing is for a collector (me) I think it will look spiffy on my shop wall :D Should earn me an A too! :cool:

Dan Andrews
10-05-2010, 5:48 AM
Locally our best known professional woodworker is also a good artist. I don't think this is a coincidence. An art teacher I worked with was way too good of a woodworker for how seldom he did it.

I on the other hand am not artistic, and I do struggle with the details in woodworking, especially with hand tools. I am more technician than artist and can build cabinets with power tools well. Making a Windsor chair with hand tools would present a problem.

Some are gifted and work to develop that gift into fine craftsmanship, others are less so and have to work to become average. Regardless, if you enjoy the process and can accept the results, woodworking and art make a couple of good hobbies for anyone interested.

Wes Grass
10-05-2010, 2:08 PM
"Rick, School is actually spelled like this,"

Not around here. It's 'Shcool'. Says so right there in the painted letters on the road by the crosswalks.

Rick Markham
10-05-2010, 6:53 PM
"Rick, School is actually spelled like this,"

Not around here. It's 'Shcool'. Says so right there in the painted letters on the road by the crosswalks.

I like your sense of humor Wes!

Dan, I agree I think there is a correlation there, I guess I just find it a little surprising that I've got abilities in both... Now I just need lots and lots of practice in both and maybe I can hone my skills.