PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some replacement parts

Richard Verwoest
10-04-2010, 3:06 PM
Good afternoon Creekers. I purchased a Miller Falls 732-10 brace this past weekend. It has a broken screw, the one on top of the ratcheting mechanism, that holds the jaws to the body. I was hoping someone here had some ideas where I can find this screw. I also would like to replace the washer underneath this screw and the spring inside the jaws, since I am going to clean it up and use. Thanks for any and all help.

Dan Andrews
10-04-2010, 3:49 PM
I checked my MF braces. It looks like they all take a similar ratchet, but I don't know about the interchangability of parts. Also the Holdall chuck (if that is what you have) may make a difference. I think you need to find a MF brace with a bad head or sweep handle that has the same diameter frame rod as yours and change the whole ratchet mechanism if the inner parts are not interchangeable. The 732 is not rare but if it has the rosewood handle it would be a shame to junk it. If it is new enough not to have the rosewood, I would just look or another brace. Watch the on line auction if you don't already. Braces go for less than the shipping cost much of the time.

I have a 732 Holdall 10" and it is an excellent brace. It was my user 10" until I got a MF Lion brace with ball bearing chuck. I like that even a little better. These two and the Stanley 923 are the 3 best braces I have used. But then there are a whole lot of braces I have never used. Good luck Richard.

Richard Verwoest
10-04-2010, 4:09 PM
Thanks for the info and effort Dan. I do not think it has the rosewood handles. Can't complain for 5 bucks.

Andrae Covington
10-04-2010, 4:43 PM
I looked at my 731 and 730 (the 12" and 14"). The screw on top of the ratchet appears to have a different diameter head, oddly the one on the 14-inch is smaller. There appears to be enough space for the larger head though, so may not be an issue. I tried to take one off to see what the threads look like but couldn't get it to budge (didn't want to go completely gorilla on it though).

As far as replacing the spring in the jaws, if it is the Holdall chuck, the spring just looks like a simple piece of wire to me, bent around the outside of the jaws. Not sure how it attaches to each jaw... either it just pokes through a little hole and is held by friction, or maybe is soldered.