PDA

View Full Version : G0548Z and Thien Cyclone

Kevin Gagne
10-04-2010, 12:39 PM
I just ordered a G0548Z today and would like to build a Thien cyclone for it. I picked the G0548Z because of the canister filter and 6 inch port. It looks like a decent unit. Has anyone built a Thien cyclone for this unit for 6 inch ducts? It looks like there are two ways to do this. One with the motor mounted directly to the separator and the other with a hose running to it. I am interested in both. Is the one with the motor mounted better because there is no loss due to the hose? Any pictures or plans that you could share would be much appreciated. Thanks -Kevin

Jeff Monson
10-04-2010, 12:52 PM
I've seen quite a few threads on the thein seperator, here is one that came to mind where the seperator was implemented into the canister collector.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=146616&highlight=thein

You can do a search for "thein" and find alot of great reading.

Curt Harms
10-04-2010, 4:53 PM
I have a Thien baffle in a Penn State "2 h.p." D.C. w/ 6" inlet. I built mine into the metal 'funnel'. Others build the Thien baffle as part of a trash can plumbed before the D.C. intake to keep things away from the blower wheel. Either one appears to work. One of the benefits of the Thien baffle vs. the 'cyclone lids' is that the lids don't work with 6" hose, (debris won't settle in the can, just sucks right through) the Thien baffle does. If you do a search on my name & "Thien baffle" you should find my pics. I'm pretty sure my post is over 1 yr. old.

Kevin Gagne
10-04-2010, 5:07 PM
If you build it into the funnel then you have to remove the top canister filter to clean it right? Mine has a paddle for cleaning so I would think the dust would fall onto the top of the baffle and it would be a mess when you take it apart. I must be missing something though. This does sound like a great way to do it though because it would not require the external trash can and would save space. I don't have a very big shop so that would be a big help.

Clint Olver
10-04-2010, 9:49 PM
Here is a link to a previous thread where I explain my Thein filter built into a similar DC.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=146616&highlight=steel+city

Feel free to ask any follow up questions.

C