PDA

View Full Version : Website Portfolio

Bill Arnold
12-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Note: This is not intended to be a commercial advertisement.

I created (and am still creating) a website to 'show off' some of the things I've built over the years. Naturally, I didn't want to spend much on it so I checked out some of the bargain hosts. I was a little leary of setting up a site with a host that charges as little as $5 per month, but it has proven to be a solid performer. I've had it up for four months and it's running fine. I got my own domain, www.bbarnold.com (http://www.bbarnold.com/) for no charge by taking a two year agreement and paying it up front. If any of you are interested, please go to my website and click on the link at the lower left of the home page under the navigation bar.

Regards,

Jim Becker
12-20-2004, 12:30 PM
Nice site, Bill...but your shop is way to well organized! :D (BTW, my parents lived in Bradenton--Wood Park--when they first moved to Florida a number of years ago)

Tyler Howell
12-20-2004, 12:37 PM
And Show off you should Bill!

Great sight and some very nice projects.:cool:
I really like the Captain's Bed.

Glenn Clabo
12-20-2004, 1:29 PM
Hey Bill...
Nice site...Nice work. I like your tables.
Only thing missing is a link to SMC!

Jerry Olexa
12-20-2004, 1:36 PM
Bill some very nice work. I like your site..

Bill Arnold
12-20-2004, 6:39 PM
Nice site, Bill...but your shop is way to well organized! :D (BTW, my parents lived in Bradenton--Wood Park--when they first moved to Florida a number of years ago)
Ha! I wish it were as well organized as it looks in the photos. For the most part, I keep things under control. Right now I'm working on three projects and pretty much have a mess on my hands...and the floor...and everything else.

I'm not familiar with Wood Park. We live in Lakewood Ranch which is a tad east of I75 and off of SR70.

Jim Young
12-20-2004, 6:51 PM
Bill, Can you tell me who the host is? I want to do the same thing. If you haven't had any troubles then this may be the ticket. I have found plenty of places that will host for $10 or so but that seems a little expensive for my little non commercial site.

Bill Arnold
12-20-2004, 6:54 PM
Great sight and some very nice projects.:cool:
I really like the Captain's Bed.Thanks, Tyler.

The bed was 'commissioned' by my wife after she saw photos of one I was in charge of building while working at a shop a couple of years ago. That one went into a multi-million dollar motor yacht. I modified the design to fit a king-size mattress and to make it a bit higher. I also improved the under-bed area to utilize the space better.

I'll share a couple of assembly photos with you guys -- didn't want these on my website. One shows the inner carcase; the other shows the strips of cherry for the fluted radius corners prior to assembly. And before one of you fine fellas says something about the 'decor' around the bed assembly, I had to put it together in our living room due to its size so we could continue to use our old bed.

Bill Arnold
12-20-2004, 6:57 PM
Bill, Can you tell me who the host is? I want to do the same thing. If you haven't had any troubles then this may be the ticket. I have found plenty of places that will host for $10 or so but that seems a little expensive for my little non commercial site.
Jim,

The host is IX Net. Please click through the link on my home page for all the information on them. By clicking through my page, I earn credits of some type -- gotta get some more so I know what it's really worth!

Thanks.

Bill Arnold
12-20-2004, 7:00 PM
Nice site...Nice work. I like your tables.
Only thing missing is a link to SMC!
Thanks, Glenn. I enjoy doing the tables, but sometimes the veneer gives me fits! But, then I just chalk it up to being a 'senior moment'.

Missing link? I've been called worse!!! I corrected that oversight just now -- link to SMC is in place.

Bill Arnold
12-20-2004, 7:07 PM
Bill some very nice work. I like your site..
Thank you, Jerry.

Lincoln Myers
12-21-2004, 11:59 AM
Nice site Bill. I like it!

Hi Jim,
(I hope this isn't improper etiquette) I read your question to Bill regarding his web host and wanted to present my experience to you and others reading this thread as this might prove useful to some.

I was reading through a post here or on WC recently about web hosts and did not see mine listed. Since the topic came up again I thought I'd share.

I have been VERY impressed with my web host www.icdsoft.com.

I have had my personal site www.themyersfam.com with them for 3 years now. They charge $5 per month and have what I believe to be a great package that includes 333 MB of storage space among other things.

I also use this site to host my families personal emails. Both services have been great.

The BEST part about this service aside from that it just plain works, is the customer service/technical support. In the few times that I have needeed a question answered or had a technical problem, they have consistently responded in minutes (as in 3 minutes or less). And most times the problem is resolved within a 1/2 hour. No waiting. No hassle. This is all done via their support site and email correspondence (no phone).

I work in the IT field and the speediness of response and resolution is amazing.

I have recommended this host to many of my technical colleagues and friends and they all love it.

If I sound excited about this host, I am. They have been great.

Standard disclaimers apply. I get no $ and have no 'interest' in this host, just a VERY pleased customer.

Jim Becker
12-21-2004, 1:32 PM
The topic of hosting has come up before...don't forget that the sponsor of this forum site, Hampton Roads Online, provides hosting services. While it may not be "cheap" as compared to the hosting farms that are out there, you KNOW the service will be exemplary.

Bill Arnold
12-22-2004, 10:02 AM
... I have been VERY impressed with my web host www.icdsoft.com (http://www.icdsoft.com). I have had my personal site www.themyersfam.com (http://www.themyersfam.com/) with them for 3 years now. They charge $5 per month and have what I believe to be a great package that includes 333 MB of storage space among other things.

Thanks, Lincoln -- I appreciate you comment about my site. It's a fun way to spend some non-woodworking time.

The $5/month at the host I use gets you 500MB of storage, 5GB/month traffic, up to 1000 e-mail addresses (yes, 1000), extensive traffic data, HTTP upload & download, FTP access. With a two-year agreeement, you get free domain registration.

Regards,