PDA

View Full Version : Spoon carving neophite

Bill Dieckman
10-04-2010, 12:59 AM
For some reason, out of the blue, I got the bug to carve a spoon. Once that thought settled in, I decided to start by carving 4 spoons. I had a couple of 6/4 hard maple scraps that I was able to cut relatively similar blanks from. 6/4 is a bit of a narrow spoon, but I figured I had to start somewhere. Probably a hard wood for a start project, but a good sharp knife made some beautiful facets when working.

Spent a week or two working on parts and having different people with differing hand sizes give me impressions on the feel. Some parts may nudge a bit one way or another, but the next 3 should go decidedly faster after the prototype got done.

Here are a couple of shot of the finished prototype:

Steve Friedman
10-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Very nice. Sharp knife or not, that must have been a bear carving dry hard maple.

Steve

Bill Dieckman
10-04-2010, 3:39 PM
Thanks. The hardest part was being patient with the grain on the handle as it just loved to grab the knife and tear out.
Since I don't know any better, it wasn't too bad. If I was more experienced in softer woods like basswood, butternut, birch, beech, etc., the time taken would probably have bothered me more :)

Mike Davis NC
10-04-2010, 3:58 PM
Beautiful spoon! Something about making them that is very comforting and pleasing to the soul.

Bill Dieckman
10-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Well, I've been working on more spoons. I started on number 2 and liked the way it was turning out, I went back and fiddled with a couple parts of number 1.

The neck was too bulky, the top face of the handle was too flat, and there was a hump in the top of the neck under the design that bothered me. Had to recarve the neck design but it seemed to come out a little better than the first time.
(pictures aren't very good for this round):

Maple again from a blank similarly shaped like #1. Tilted the bowl up a little better. Widened the handle, narrowed the neck and deepened the bowl. The birds-eyes seem to show nicely on the bowl. The dark streak was barely discernible prior to oil soaking.

Basswood blank that I got with the Pinewood Forge knives I ordered. SOOO much faster and easier than the hard maple. I had to fix a number of blowouts, but really is nice carving. Still haven't oiled this one.

(Think I may retake these with a better camera :P)

Bill Dieckman
10-25-2010, 9:05 PM
Guess I took too long to take the pictures as I can't find the option to edit so I can replace the pictures.

Steve Friedman
10-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Nicely done! I have a tendency to make the neck too thin and end up snapping them in half! I like your designs.

Starting with one of Del Stubbs' spoon blanks definitely makes it easier, as do his knives (I own way too many!). If you've never tries it, take a shot at carving a spoon out of a freshly cut piece of green wood. Just make sure you cut out the pith. The knife just glides through the wet wood - like butter. The challenge is drying the spoon, but the carving is smooth.

Steve

Bill Dieckman
10-26-2010, 9:28 AM
I am looking forward to trying some greenwood carving. I have a couple of branches I'm looking to trim from a pecan tree that should yield some nice blank. I just don't have anywhere to stash them to keep them green while I work my way through them.

Found some scraps of African Rosewood and some black walnut I'm going to try and eek a blank or 2 out of.

Mark Burge
10-26-2010, 4:05 PM
Those are nice looking spoons. I really like the neck design. Nice work. I would be interested to hear about your process for getting things so smooth.

Bill Dieckman
10-27-2010, 9:29 AM
Well, I wish I could say it was skill, but sandpaper got them that smooth.
I've passed them around the office for people to 'test drive' the feel & balance.
Invariably, they get run across their cheek with a comment on how smooth they are.

I imagine I'll get better and need less help from the paper. I hope to try out some greenwood carving and leave them straight from the knife. I also think I may leave some of these hardwood spoons straight from the knife as I really like the facets on the bowl and the shine. We shall see.

Thanks for the comments.

Bill Dieckman
11-20-2010, 12:59 AM
A few more spoon pics before I send them away forever :)
(Basswood, birch, walnut cherry)

Bill Dieckman
11-20-2010, 1:01 AM
...and the last of this batch (Cherry, birch, maple, group shot)

Belinda Barfield
11-20-2010, 7:45 AM
Bill, I just happened across your OP and want thank you for sharing your beautiful spoons. My great uncle carved spoons and your post brought up a lot of fond memories of sitting beside him while he worked. Good times. I particularly like the bee skep design.

Bill Dieckman
11-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks, Belinda.

That one is specifically for my Dad. When my grandfather was still alive, he spent his retirement woodworking exclusively in Nebraska black walnut, so that was the wood I used from a piece I've been hauling around from his stash for 30 years.
My dad has been a beekeeper for the past 35 years to there is the significance there. He just sold his last hives about a month ago due to health reasons, so thought I'd cheer him up.
Some of the others are 'assigned' already while some are not :)

Brian Kent
11-20-2010, 12:43 PM
I've never heard of a Spoon Carving a Neophyte. I bet that really hurts the Neophyte :eek:.

Bill Dieckman
11-20-2010, 7:37 PM
Funny you should say that. ;) The first time I was using my new hook knife, I cut a nice 2" gash into my thumb.
It did hurt quite a bit.

Bill Dieckman
11-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Well, best laid plans....
We're working on a bathroom renovation and ran out to pick up some mats that came in via freight. I trip and fall backwards and appear to have shattered the wrist-end of my radius.
Guess I'll spin a good story and send it along with an IOU ;)
Think I'll take a spoon to the doctor's office Monday when they're supposed to set it and see if they can set it such that I can still grip the blank ;)

Happy Thanksgiving, Bill