PDA

View Full Version : Measuring cutter height?

Josh Bendel
12-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Currently I'm measuring the cutting height of all my tools with a 6" Starret metal rule, just by eye. I was wondering how everybody else measures their heights? Is there a faster more accurate way? I've looked at some expensive jigs like the AngleWright height gauge, and Mantis (not so expensive). Overall I really like the AngleWright Gauge. As usual pictures are encouraged.:D Thanks in advance.

Jim Becker
12-20-2004, 11:35 AM
I have a little doo-dad that slips over my small Starrett square that allow me to measure "exact" height on cutters when it counts. That, combined with a small aluminum height gage that I keep on the saw fence for "common" heights works quite well.

Kurt Aebi
12-20-2004, 11:41 AM
I use the Gauge-It saw blade height gauge available from Rockler for about $20.00

I like it because you can measure both angle and blade height. I use it on the router table as well with real good results on both the saw and router table.

Mark Singer
12-20-2004, 12:07 PM
I use a digital caliper for just about everything...it really is all you need and very accurate.

John Gregory
12-20-2004, 12:20 PM
This is what I use. It works well and it is easy to use. HiGage (http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=3685&gift=False&mscssid=0A32E546C969D4C9C99F69328651C37E)

John

Steve Beadle
12-20-2004, 12:23 PM
On my router table, especially, I find that brass set-up blocks are very useful and quick. Of course, you can only use them for a limited number of exact dimensions up to a certain limit. The brass set-up blocks, if you're not familiar with them, come in dimensions of 1/8", 3/16", 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"--with a total stack height of 1-7/16", I think (if I did the math correctly). They're also great for isolating the bearing on router bits that have it--just adjust the fence so that the brass set-up block contacts both sides of the split fence and the outside rim of the bearing at the same time.
I have a couple of other measuring devices, similar to what others have mentioned, but I use the set-up blocks whenever I can.

Dave Avery
12-20-2004, 1:51 PM
I use a digital caliper for just about everything...it really is all you need and very accurate.

I'm with Mark...... mine is an old-fashioned dial model, but it has the capability to measure anything to within a fraction of 1/100th, certainly good enough for most WW applications.

Andy Henriksen
12-20-2004, 1:59 PM
I use the Gauge-It saw blade height gauge available from Rockler for about $20.00

I like it because you can measure both angle and blade height. I use it on the router table as well with real good results on both the saw and router table.
Kurt, how does this measure height? I don't get it by looking at the picture.

Michael Ballent
12-20-2004, 4:00 PM
I use the Incra Guage. Very handy for me and repeatable too :D
http://www.incra.biz/Products/IncraGauge.html

Jim Dunn
12-20-2004, 5:42 PM
I too use a 6" General scale or a dial calipers to set bit and blade heights. If I want to get real particular, "substitute anal" scribing lines for layout and such, I use a height set:eek:

Lou Morrissette
12-20-2004, 6:29 PM
Six inch dial caliper here.

Lou

Norman Hitt
12-20-2004, 7:05 PM
I have Two sets of the Brass Set Up Bars, and use them when applicable, but since I've been having to get used to seeing again with these new "Trifocals", I find it easier to use a trisquare and scribe a line on a piece of scrap along one edge and clamp the scrap to the fence, turn on the saw and raise the blade into the edge of the scrap til it just touches the scribed mark. The measurements have been much more like they used to be when I could SEE properly since I started using this technique.

"The only thing that is Truly Consistant is Total Inconsistancy" [Norman Hitt-1956 (speaking of Chem Lab Test Results)]

Carole Valentine
12-20-2004, 9:59 PM
It slides onto my Starrett and I use it to set depth on TS and router, check mortises, etc.

Sam Chambers
12-20-2004, 11:35 PM
I have an Incra gauge and like it, but the blades do tend to scratch the plastic, so I wonder just how accurate it will stay over the long haul. I use a 12" Starrett combo square for most things, though I've thought about getting a HiGage to use with it. If I really need to be picky, I have a dial caliper from Highland Hardware that's laid out in 64ths of an inch instead of 100ths of an inch. I've seen the Gauge-It in catalongs, and it looks interesting. (Andy, the Gauge-It measures height by resting that little semi-circular plastic thingy on top of the saw blade or router bit. Then you can read the height on the scale by looking at the little pointer that says "height" next to it.)

Lloyd Robins
12-21-2004, 12:11 AM
I have a Bench Dog lift on my router extension. It sets the height quite accurately. I use an Inca gauge on my TS. Oh and by the way, Merry Christmas!

Kurt Aebi
12-21-2004, 8:09 AM
If you look at the picture that I included you will see that they are using the angle feature and reading the angle scale (furthest inboard). If you look at the front of the tool, see the curled part, you let that ride on the uppermost part of the cutter you are wanting to measure and read the outermost scale. It has 1/32" graduations - so that is usually close enough for most operations.

When the height gets more critical than that, I break out my machinist tools, gauge blocks, depth micrometers and such. I also have a digital height gauge with a small granite plate, but usually only use it for inspection of finished parts. I have both dial and digital calipers (if you ewant a beat around set of digital calipers, check Harbor Freight - thay have a set that costs $15.95 and has the serial output for data collection on your PC). If it becomes even more critical, I will use a magnetic base with my "tenths" indicator which will read full scale just 1/2 thousandths of an inch - but I have not needed to get that critical with wood!

Jerry Baldwin
12-21-2004, 8:33 AM
Another vote for the brass setup bars. I use'em all the time. I store them on the top of my table saw fence and they're always handy (since it's in the middle of the shop)