PDA

View Full Version : Don't buy a PC that has BIOS

Stephen Tashiro
10-03-2010, 11:53 PM
If you buy a PC that has BIOS, you're getting obsolete hardware. You should get one with "UEFI" according to this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11430069

Dan Hintz
10-04-2010, 7:00 AM
It's about time...

Chuck Wintle
10-04-2010, 7:55 AM
If you buy a PC that has BIOS, you're getting obsolete hardware. You should get one with "UEFI" according to this article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11430069

they won't be available until sometime next year so for now.....:D

Curt Harms
10-04-2010, 8:01 AM
they won't be available until sometime next year so for now.....:D

And with something so "if it don't work you gotta brick", I'm not sure I'd want to be a pioneer. BIOS is a pain but it's a well known and documented pain. After 6 mos. or a year, sure.

David Weaver
10-04-2010, 8:44 AM
It's about time...

Ditto. Me and a lazy and impatient roommate in college were begging for this 15 years ago. Especially in the old win 95 environment where restarts were near constant (though we were really begging for instant on).

Phil Thien
10-04-2010, 9:21 AM
UEFI has been out there for a while.

It has NOTHING to do with machines booting faster or any such nonsense.

The author of the article was mislead or didn't understand the issues.

Dennis Peacock
10-04-2010, 9:26 AM
I dated Uefi when I was younger. She was a mean-spirited gal and I dropped her soon after. Oh...You mean computer UEFI.

Well, at least I already know it will be mean, unruly, and highly opinionated. :p :D

I like to wait until new stuff has been out for a while and then decide if I want to change/upgrade or not. I'm still running a Dell I bought several years ago. It runs faster than I can type...so I see no need to upgrade. :D

Jerome Hanby
10-04-2010, 9:30 AM
I think this quote says it all:

"Drive size limits that were inherent to the original PC design - two terabytes - are going to become an issue pretty soon for those that use their PC a lot for pictures and video," he said.

Author is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Tom Esh
10-04-2010, 10:01 AM
UEFI has been out there for a while.

It has NOTHING to do with machines booting faster or any such nonsense.

The author of the article was mislead or didn't understand the issues.

You're so right. I think that reporter swallowed a full dose of marketing hyperbole. Also anyone who has delt with security issues sees big yellow flags when words like "remote access" are used. Probably more like red flags when it comes to the bios / firmware level.

Glenn Vaughn
10-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Any spped increase in the booting will not be perceptible. Once the "splash" screen is shown you re out of the BIOS and into the operating system - that is where the time to boot comes from.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-04-2010, 11:57 AM
I am older, slower...and I don't wanna be ...nor am I going to be the first kid on the block to get one.

I currently have a new computer designed to handle my wife's photography and videography. Some computer experts will tell you it smokes......but...

Having dealt with new computers and hardware for over 33 years, I'll wait and let someone else find the bugs....

Dave Lehnert
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
The first 2 computers I purchased drove me nuts because I read all the reviews, made sure I had the recommended Duel Core processor, hyper this, whiz bang that, and so on. Because I just had to have it.
When I wanted a lap top I walked into Best Buy with a sales ad for a cheap Gateway:eek: (the sin of it all) and walked out with it under may arm. Amazing enough it does everything I want it to do. When it quits, off to the store to buy a new one.

My point, We tend to pay WAY more than we should for the latest and greatest thing when all you do is create a new set of problems.

PS: Some people would not buy a Gateway computer but have never owned anything other. Been 100% happy with all.

Jim Becker
10-04-2010, 9:31 PM
Dave, you do know that Gateway is owned by Acer, don't you? ;)

Dave Lehnert
10-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Dave, you do know that Gateway is owned by Acer, don't you? ;)

Yep! Owned Gateways before and after the Acer takeover.

Dan Hintz
10-05-2010, 6:43 AM
My brother used to sell Gateway systems (back when selling computers for companies could actually net you a decent profit). In those days (early 90's), the systems were top notch, especially for their relatively low price point. Then they started breaking off from regional distributors and quality began to drop.

Their worst was a foray into laptops... some of the worst I've ever dealt with. The laptops would freeze at the drop of a hat. I walked into a Gateway store (do they still have those?) to kill some time and perused the laptop section. Six machines, two were not working already. Played with one and it was dragging so slow I thought it was dead. Tried a second and it froze completely... mentioned it to the sales guy and he said "Yeah, we have to take the battery out when it gets like that." Gee, I'm sold, I'll take 5!

I'm sure some run great, but when the lemon count is that high, why take the chance.

Phil Thien
10-05-2010, 9:29 AM
Then they started breaking off from regional distributors and quality began to drop.

IMHO, Gateway's real problems started with opening retail stores. As soon as I saw that, I thought, "wow, they're pulling a CompuAdd."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompuAdd

The fact that CompuAdd and Gateway both went first and failed is the biggest reason I think Dell never pushed into retail in a big way.

Dan Hintz
10-05-2010, 10:51 AM
IMHO, Gateway's real problems started with opening retail stores.
That's nearly the same point at which they dropped distributors... at least that's when the first retail store or two was getting built (if memory serves)...