PDA

View Full Version : Another white cedar burl

David E Keller
10-03-2010, 9:37 PM
I was lucky enough to get several pieces of this stuff in a trade, and I must admit that I've really enjoyed turning it. It's very light weight and somewhat prone to tear out, but the figure is worth the effort. This piece actually took flight during the rough out, but fortunately, I was able to stop it with my forehead.:eek: Thank goodness the wood is light, and my head is fairly heavy.:D

It finished out to 6 inches by 4 inches. Fairly thin and even on the walls... Gotta love that monster system! Several coats of BLO, then dewaxed shellac followed by a couple of coats of wipe on poly. I'll probably buff it at some point.

Comments and criticism appreciated!

Mark Hubl
10-03-2010, 9:44 PM
David,

Your pieces are always knockouts, this one is no exception. Great looking piece of wood.

Wally Dickerman
10-03-2010, 9:45 PM
I'm not familar with white cedar and certainly not white cedar burl. After seeing this I'd like to have some though.

Very good David. Form is great, curves are good. Since you indicate that you've mastered the Monster, I'm sure that the sidewalls are a uniform 1/16th inch thick.

Wally

Michael James
10-03-2010, 9:48 PM
David..It's all there for me again.. Exceptional wood, nice form, and love that finish! Keep em coming.

Roger Chandler
10-03-2010, 9:49 PM
Good form on this one David. Love the grain and the color is very striking.

It seems lately that your wood supply has gotten quite diversified, and your turning skills are shining brightly!

Nice work again!

David DeCristoforo
10-03-2010, 9:51 PM
You're on a roll there funky bro! But reading some of these threads, I'm starting to think I could make a bunch of dough by selling football helmets to wood turners!

David Woodruff
10-03-2010, 9:52 PM
David, This is gorgeous stuff and the shape is as well. Please sell me a piece. I have never turned white cedar before. I have many Black Cheery, raw burls. Want to trade. We pay for our respective shipping and trade like sizes. I like the larger stuff up to BIG. I have cherry from 15- 50 lbs. Full round to half round. Want photos? me too. Let me know if you are interested.

Knees are still awesome, would never have thought I would be pain free in both knees. Technology is great. I have the DuPuy total knees; both knees; I hope these are not flawed as the hip implants seem to be.

Best,david

Cathy Schaewe
10-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Wow, that is absolutely beautiful!

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2010, 11:28 PM
Beautiful piece and some beautiful wood.

William Hutchinson
10-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Gorgeous wood and a wonderful form, well done.

John Keeton
10-04-2010, 6:43 AM
David, that sure is some beautiful wood!! The form is very clean and shows the character of the wood - well done!!

Tim Rinehart
10-04-2010, 9:01 AM
David,
Start with a great piece of wood and then turn a very pleasing shape...well done. I can almost sense how that piece must feel to hold, it looks very nicely done.
Is the bottom completely rounded, so it just 'rights itself'. I don't see a flat area, which is kind of cool. I've done that once or twice, kinda fun.

Again, just a gorgeous piece of wood and beautiful job of turning.

Baxter Smith
10-04-2010, 9:29 AM
Great shape and color David. I have turned some Atlantic White and Northern White Cedar. They both are amazingly light to hold when finished thin. Yours must feel like a feather! Beautiful job.

David E Keller
10-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'm not familar with white cedar and certainly not white cedar burl. After seeing this I'd like to have some though.

Very good David. Form is great, curves are good. Since you indicate that you've mastered the Monster, I'm sure that the sidewalls are a uniform 1/16th inch thick.

Wally

Thanks, Wally. I wouldn't say I've mastered the monster, but I have tamed it a bit;). The walls are about 1/8" thick, and that's plenty thin for me.

You're on a roll there funky bro! But reading some of these threads, I'm starting to think I could make a bunch of dough by selling football helmets to wood turners!

You are assuming that I would be smart enough to wear it...:D I thought the afro would be protection enough, but I'm beginning to doubt its efficacy.

David, This is gorgeous stuff and the shape is as well. Please sell me a piece. I have never turned white cedar before. I have many Black Cheery, raw burls. Want to trade. We pay for our respective shipping and trade like sizes. I like the larger stuff up to BIG. I have cherry from 15- 50 lbs. Full round to half round. Want photos? me too. Let me know if you are interested...

Thanks, David. I wish I had a truckload of this stuff to turn and sell. I only have a few smaller pieces left, and I'm afraid to part with it:o. I've never seen it before I got this stuff. I'll check with the guy I got it from, and put him in touch with you if he thinks he can come up with some more.

David,
Start with a great piece of wood and then turn a very pleasing shape...well done. I can almost sense how that piece must feel to hold, it looks very nicely done.
Is the bottom completely rounded, so it just 'rights itself'. I don't see a flat area, which is kind of cool. I've done that once or twice, kinda fun.

Again, just a gorgeous piece of wood and beautiful job of turning.

Thanks, Tim. It has a small, quarter-sized area that is slightly recessed on the bottom so that it will sit flat.

Rob Cunningham
10-04-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow, really beautiful wood, form and finish.

Bill Bolen
10-04-2010, 6:19 PM
Gorgeous piece of wood and you sure treated it well. Love the form and finsih...Bill...