PDA

View Full Version : Static phase converter question

Jeff Monson
10-03-2010, 7:52 PM
Do any fellow creekers use a static phase converter for their machinery? I'm reading alot of mixed views on the sites that sell them, I think I can deal with 2/3 of the HP but will it be hard on the motor?

jim hagens
10-03-2010, 8:51 PM
What machine are you planning to run?

Jeff Monson
10-03-2010, 10:03 PM
What machine are you planning to run?

A saw/shaper combo, has 5hp 3 phase motor

Ben Martin
10-03-2010, 11:35 PM
This hasn't happened to me personally, but I have been warned that it will burn out one of the sets of windings in the motor since it is only hooked up to 2 of the 3 phases.

I had one on a machine I bought, and spent two nights taking it off so that I could hook it up to my VFD if that tells you anything...

Bill Leonard
10-04-2010, 6:12 AM
Do any fellow creekers use a static phase converter for their machinery? I'm reading alot of mixed views on the sites that sell them, I think I can deal with 2/3 of the HP but will it be hard on the motor?
I am using static phase converters on a 5hp PM66 as well as a 5hp PM26 shaper. Have been for about two years now with no problems that I am aware of. The saw gets the most use, and I would guess it is cycled on and off on the average of 4-5 times per day.
I had to change the starter on the saw and rewire the shaper, but no problems there. I am a far cry from being an electrician, so I contacted a motor rewind company for advice. They recommended the static converter for my use versus an expensive new motor. The only problem they mentioned was the loss of 1/3 hp. If you can live with the loss, I believe you will be happy.
Remember, I am neither an electrician nor motor expert; barely a novice woodworker, but I am happy with my arrangement.

Rod Sheridan
10-04-2010, 8:17 AM
Jeff, yes it's hard on the motor, you're really single phasing it.

Secondly you have to make sure that the control power for your machine isn't coming from the derived phase.

If it were me, I would use a VFD or a rotary phase converter.

If you damage the motor on your Felder, it will be expensive, they're not NEMA motors that can be found anywhere, and a rewind is expensive.

Regards, Rod.

Jeff Monson
10-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Jeff, yes it's hard on the motor, you're really single phasing it.

Secondly you have to make sure that the control power for your machine isn't coming from the derived phase.

If it were me, I would use a VFD or a rotary phase converter.

If you damage the motor on your Felder, it will be expensive, they're not NEMA motors that can be found anywhere, and a rewind is expensive.

Regards, Rod.

Thanks Rod, that was just what I had feared, I spoke with the seller a little more this weekend and "viola" he had a Kay Industrial RPC that he sold me with the saw.

Bruce Page
10-04-2010, 12:58 PM
I've been powering my knee mill & engine lathe with one for over 15 years. Never had any problems with it.

Ed Labadie
10-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Been running my DeWalt GE 16" ras on a static phase converter for over 10 years. No problems at all. 4 years ago, I added a 2nd GE on the same converter, no problems there either.........also have a Delta 5hp shaper on one.........

Ed

Andrew DiLorenzo
10-07-2010, 10:32 PM
I have one and used it for years to turn a 5 HP motor. It had to be started first before the 5 HP motor. At the time I could not get 3 phase power, and the motor was only offered in 3 phase.

It worked, but the installlation was a chore. Those things weigh a ton!

Larry Edgerton
11-07-2010, 6:11 AM
I have a PM 66 that I had installed a static converter on before I bought my rotary, and so never changed it over. A few weeks ago the motor burned out. Not saying it was the converters fault but......

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-07-2010, 7:25 AM
Jeff,
I have a 10hp Phase Perfect digital phase converter in my shop. It was a bit costly but gives full power to my 3 phase machines. Google the name if you want more info.
faust