PDA

View Full Version : Leigh Super FMT Jig Clamps

Jim Moorcroft
10-03-2010, 5:56 PM
I recently purchased a Leigh Super FMT jig. I can't for the life of me get the clamps to work. When I go to tighten them, they just keep sliding down the bar. The bar has notches on it but the part of the clamp that slips over the bar is smooth. There's nothing to catch the notches on the bar. Is there a secret to how use them? Or are they just junk?:confused:

Chris Rosenberger
10-03-2010, 6:46 PM
Those type of clamps can be tricky at first. You need to practice with them off of the FMT. I have found that it is best to push in on the arm where it slides on the bar as you tighten the screw.

paul cottingham
10-03-2010, 7:09 PM
ditto to what has been said. Also, you might believe that they won't go into the upper right hand holes, but they will. Be careful, I already broke one clamp.

don't bother to email their customer support, I have never had an email returned by them.

harry boyer
10-03-2010, 7:17 PM
I think you just have to get used to them. I had the same problem. I just tried mine to be sure. When I turned the screw handle they seemed to work better if I put slight pressure away from the clamp head. They slipped when I went toward the head/pad. This was using one hand with the other hand holding the work. Seems to catch on the front most outside edge of the clamp. I have made the suggested jigs and they really help for larger work. Leigh has a great tech. guy. his name is Barry.

I really like the jig. I have a mortiser but I'm making chairs and getting any kind of accurate compound angles was really hard for me. The FMT fits the bill. I'm doing a prototype of the Maloof style arm chair. I don't want to use screws or dowels. Hopefull I'll be able to use the FMT to do all the joints. Mainly M&T but some floating tenon

good luck

Al Navas
10-04-2010, 9:47 PM
...don't bother to email their customer support, I have never had an email returned by them.
Hi, Paul.

I am surprised by this statement. Leigh represents to me the very best of Customer Support. From day 1, when I bought my D4 from them many years ago, and through all these years, not once have they failed to reply to me, or to answer one single question on the phone.

An alternative I found: I decided early on that I would start calling them, as I can get an answer immediately after only a few minutes on the phone. That is the main reason they provide a toll-free phone number.

I hope you will give them a second chance. In fact, if you prefer, I will send you my cell phone number via PM, if you would like to discuss further, and in private. Thanks!

Al

paul cottingham
10-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Hey, Al, I believe you. but even on the phone they couldn't have been more indifferent. And yes, I was polite, I was a small business owner for over 15 years. Perhaps it was an aberration.

I may take you up on your offer.

paul cottingham
01-06-2011, 2:50 PM
An update:

Yesterday, I called Leigh to order a new set of clamps for my super fmt, as one of mine is broken. The (very!) helpful lady, took my order, then, when she found out I was ordering new ones to replace a broken one, reversed the charges, and shipped it to me -expedited- at no charge. To say I am impressed is an understatement. They actually arrived today, one day after I spoke to her.

Wow...makes me rethink my earlier gripes.

John Fabre
01-07-2011, 4:05 AM
I just sold my FMT, I had to get use to the clamps also.