PDA

View Full Version : Wormy Wood Week

David DeCristoforo
10-03-2010, 5:33 PM
This must be the week for wormy wood turnings! I was cutting up a large slab of walnut burl and came into one area that was filled with worm holes. The rest of the burl was sound and I was about to toss the wormy part when my son said "You should turn that." So I did. I wanted to get it thinner (it's just over an eighth thick) but I chickened out. The pedestal base is a bit of amboyna burl and the stem is dyed bubinga. This is the tallest pedestal I have attempted. The "flower" is about five inches across and the whole thing is just over ten tall. I got a chance to try my new "pointy" tools and they work better than expected although I still have a long way to go...

alex carey
10-03-2010, 6:36 PM
its a beauty, nice job. Your son seems quite wise.

John Keeton
10-03-2010, 6:59 PM
Good call on saving the walnut! Love the wormholes.

Is it possible at this point to 'naturalize' the edge of the walnut (Dremel??) so it appears to be a NE all around?

David DeCristoforo
10-03-2010, 7:08 PM
"Is it possible at this point to 'naturalize' the edge..."

Yup. Done that on a few things so far but for some reason, I kinda like the cut line on this. Go figure...

David E Keller
10-03-2010, 7:13 PM
Your son is a smart man... I love that piece of wood. The stem and base are well done. You're becoming quite the maker of graceful wooden thingies!

Tom Sherman
10-03-2010, 9:10 PM
David I believe this is my personal favorite of your pieces. Something about it just grabs me. Very well done.

Josh Bowman
10-03-2010, 9:13 PM
David, I think you're on to something with that flower thing. They are really very nice.....absolutely beautiful.

David DeCristoforo
10-03-2010, 9:58 PM
"I believe this is my personal favorite of your pieces..."

Thanx Tom. I kinda like this one too but mostly because I only screwed up about three times while making it. That means I'm getting better, right?

"I think you're on to something with that flower thing..."

Don't quite know why but I am attracted to these things. They are fun to make and don't require big ol' chunks of wood. Also, they incorporate the "full spectrum" of turning skills so they are a great way to learn.

And, yes, my son has a great eye and is never adverse to throwing the old man a challenge!

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2010, 11:30 PM
It is truly a beauty David.

Baxter Smith
10-04-2010, 10:19 AM
No such thing as a too crummy a piece of wood when you turn if you are imaginative!

David DeCristoforo
10-04-2010, 11:24 AM
"No such thing as a too crummy a piece of wood...if you are imaginative!

And lucky. Don't forget lucky!