PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 15" Planer--Belts Too Hot?

Hugh MacDonald
10-03-2010, 4:57 PM
I recently acquired a used, six-year-old Taiwan-made four-post 15" Powermatic planer. It is in basically new condition because the guy who had it before me used it but one time. The knives were still out-of-the-box sharp when I got it home. Nonetheless I just installed the Byrd Shelix cutterhead and it works like a charm. Its far quieter, can take off more wood in one pass with minimal tearout, and all the other benefits of a helical head that you SMCers know all about.

However, the three V belts get extremely hot after running the planer for only about 10 minutes. I can begin to smell a faint odor of burning rubber and the belts and pulleys are too hot to touch. I have the belts tensioned just as the manual recommends (1/4" deflection in the middle of the belt with moderate finger pressure), so I'm wondering if this heat is normal and expected.The belts on my other machines are typically well covered and I don't really make a habit to reach underneath them to feel their respective temperatures when I'm using them, so I'm not able to compare the planer belts to those of my other tools. Although I can say I don't detect a faint burning-rubber smell when I use my table saw, jointer, shaper, etc. I'm going to experiment with various tensions on the belts to see if it makes any difference, but does anyone know what I'm talking about or have any insight on this issue? Many thanks again SMC.

Chuck Wintle
10-03-2010, 5:04 PM
maybe the belts are no more good and need replacing?

John Aperahama
10-03-2010, 6:04 PM
The heat is normal and expected have at it they are great machines.

Phil Thien
10-03-2010, 6:32 PM
What about the sheaves? And the motor? Have you checked anything else for temperature? Is it only the belts?

I don't think the belts should get so hot that you can smell burning rubber after only ten minutes. But I could be wrong.

jim sauterer
10-03-2010, 7:01 PM
my 15 inch delta belts would start to get warm if i was taking to deep of a cut.

Robert Chapman
10-03-2010, 7:09 PM
You can call Powermatic USA at 1-800-274-6848 and ask them.

Leo Graywacz
10-03-2010, 7:22 PM
Are your pulleys in line with each other. You should not smell your belts unless you are overworking the planer too.

Rod Sheridan
10-03-2010, 9:31 PM
I've seen that a few times with Taiwanese planers.

Throw the belts in the trash after you've purchased some quality North American replacements from a belt supplier.

Clean the sheaves, tension the belts and run the machine.

After a few hours of use re-tension the belts if required.

Regards, Rod.

Rick Fisher
10-04-2010, 1:42 AM
I have the General International 20" Version.. Same thing.. three belts..

Anyway.. When I got it, I had the EXACT same problem.. When I removed the cover, there where actually little black rubber balls in the bottom..

I was going to replace the belts, but as it was evening, I simply tightened them up, by adjusting the motor.. Problem solved.

In my case, the belts where really loose. Its been almost 2 years and I have not messed with it again..

If your problem is like mine, the cover got really hot.. far too warm to be healthy, and I had the stench of burnt rubber in the air..

Tom Hintz
10-04-2010, 2:20 AM
I have the same planer (same head also, cool isn't it?) and mine also showed heat and a light scent of burning rubber but that was just at first. After a few hours of operation the belts seated in or lost the initial coating and all has been fine for a bit more than 4 years since.
One thing about the surface of new belts is that I am told it is much like tires that can have a light layer of plasticizer that can be slippery. We used to scrub our new racing tires by stuffing the car into a few corners to get it drifting. Once that was gone they were fine.