PDA

View Full Version : I'm clueless...turning semi-green wood

Arnie Grammon
12-20-2004, 8:24 AM
My wood is a little green, but I am greener still at this turning thing :confused: :o. Totally clueless.

How should I approach turning semi-green wood? The black walnut rounds have been setting around for about a month, and I'm afraid if I took them in the shop and dried them they would spalt or crack or the Bad Boogie Turning Man would cause something awful to happen.

Here's the deal. I am interested in making bowls and I want to turn them now. Bad idea? How should I dry them if I did turn a few?

What process works best, i.e., what would you do in this situation?

AG

Glenn Hodges
12-20-2004, 9:27 AM
I turn all my bowls green, some so green I have to stop ever so often and wipe down my face mask so I can see. Green wood cuts so much easier than dry wood. You can try the new alcohol drying method or leave the bowl walls about 10% of the thickness of the diameter, and then coat the roughed out bowl with Anchorseal or wax. Put it away for about 6 to 12 months to dry. When it is completely dry take it out and turn it to the desired thickness, and finish.

Jim Becker
12-20-2004, 9:50 AM
I've had good luck turning "green" black walnut to completion as long as the wall thickness is even and you flood the piece with oil (BLO) or varnish-oil (Watco or similar) immediately upon finishing the turning work. But there is always some risk with each individual piece. Rough turning, drying and then finishing is generally a better way, but there is no harm in trying out many methods to find out what works for you.