PDA

View Full Version : Oak Burl Vessel

Cathy Schaewe
10-03-2010, 2:41 PM
I completed this with some extremely helpful advice from John Keeton on the form. I don't think I got it exactly as he suggested, but it's vastly improved over its shape when rough turned.

It's 4 1/2" tall, and 7 1/4" wide at the shoulder. The opening and the base are both 3 1/2".

Any thoughts on improving the form would be welcome. Thanks for looking -

Roger Chandler
10-03-2010, 2:43 PM
Pretty turning Cathy. Nice form on this one, and the grain is great. I would think with the bark inclusions that there was just a little pucker factor with this piece.

How thick are the walls? What kind of finish do you have on it now?

David E Keller
10-03-2010, 3:06 PM
What a nice looking piece of wood! I like the form as is, but I think the curve at the widest point may be just a bit too abrupt for my taste. The photos make it look like the lower curve has two facets, but that may just be the photo... Sometimes i can feel imperfections in a curve better than I can see them. Overall, I think it's a great looking piece, and the critiques are just little nit-picky things. I'd proudly display this one.

John Keeton
10-03-2010, 3:24 PM
Cathy, much improved over the rough out! I think you did well on this one. As David says, the consistency of the curves could be a little better - top and bottom, but overall this is a great piece. Beautiful piece of wood!

Wally Dickerman
10-03-2010, 4:47 PM
Good looking piece. I really don't have a problem with the curves. Continuing, with no flat area. Since you dont have the piece sitting on a flat surface I can't see the base. If the vessel is 7 inches and the foot is 3 1/2 inches then I would like to see the base smaller. 2 1/2 inches would allow that curve to continue further and give the vessel a more pleasing look.

Wally

Robert McGowen
10-03-2010, 5:15 PM
Great looking piece, Cathy. People that know more about form than me have already commented, so I will leave it at that.

The only other thing would be that if you are asking for a question about the shape, I would take my photos so that the base is not covered up with the folds of the fabric.

Steve Schlumpf
10-03-2010, 5:30 PM
Sure is some nice looking wood! Interesting form on this one - reminds me of a southwestern style pot or jar.

I agree with David that the shoulder area could be a little less abrupt; with Wally that the foot area could be smaller and with Robert not to hide any portion of your turning when taking photos.

As noted by everyone - you did good on this one and the above points are only suggestions for things to consider the next time!

Cathy Schaewe
10-03-2010, 6:39 PM
Thank you all for both the compliments and the suggestions. Roger, the pics were taken with a couple of coats of DO. It's currently soaking in a bucket of DO, in hopes that it won't crack too badly. I'm not sure of the thickness, and don't want to take it out to measure, but it did get thicker at the shoulder, probably because of the aforesaid pucker factor! That's something I have to work on.

Robert and Steve - I was fighting with my photo tent, and I think it was going to eat me. I didn't realize the base was covered until I uploaded the pics, and didn't feel like fighting any more. I'll be more careful about that next time.

Wally - thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that.

Steve - I based it on a bunch of pictures of southwestern pots, so you're dead on!

John: thank you so much for taking the time to make suggestions during the process.

This isn't the most technically perfect piece, but I'm very happy because I think it's a real step forward for me.

Michael James
10-03-2010, 7:37 PM
Being the SW junkie that I am, I like it.:cool: The wood is unbelievable, and the form looks fine to me, ea one SHOULD look a little different IMO.
Thanks for posting!
mj

Paul Douglass
10-03-2010, 7:44 PM
I only wish I could do as good. That wood is really beautiful Looks almost like an old pot someone dug up and it has a crack and deep rust in it. Nice job.

Rich Aldrich
10-03-2010, 8:35 PM
Nice work, Cathy. I actually like the shape.

Curt Fuller
10-03-2010, 9:08 PM
Wow, that is really pretty. Oak can be a lot of trouble to work with but the results are usually worth every bit of the trouble. And Mr. Keeton is a great influence to have watching over your shoulder.

Josh Bowman
10-03-2010, 9:16 PM
Cathy, that looks wonderful. That oak is nice! I like the form also.

Kathy Marshall
10-04-2010, 1:34 AM
It looks great to me Cathy! The wood is gorgeous and living in the southwest, I think the form looks great!

On a side note, now that I have my new tools I'm about ready to attempt my 1st hollow form with the oak burl you sent me. If I can just figure out how best to orient the blank to get the best result.

Don Alexander
10-04-2010, 1:43 AM
nice piece Cathy i really like both the wood and what you did with it

i finally rounded off those 2 oak burlpieces you gave me hoping to get started turning them soon :) there will definitely be some pucker factor in at least 1 of them but it sure does add character to the wood so hopefully it will come out ok

Baxter Smith
10-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Looks nice Cathy!

Bernie Weishapl
10-04-2010, 5:53 PM
Great looking piece Cathy. Really well done. I do agree with the abrupt shoulder and small foot. Keep'em coming.

Ron Bontz
10-04-2010, 6:51 PM
I would be thrilled to turn a piece like that. Slowly but surely working that way. What did you use to hollow it with?:)