PDA

View Full Version : Want to get into turning

Patrick Nailon
10-03-2010, 2:35 PM
I've been on Sawmill for a few years, and now want to get into turning. There are a few projects I'm dying to try, and want/need to be able to continue woodworking when I sell the house and get into an apt or townhouse. I figured a midi lathe and smaller projects would be a good possibility. The apt I live in halftime now (long story, you don't want to know) would work for doing turning out on the back patio, so I'm hoping that a permanent apt will be the same.

Thoughts on getting into turning? Advice on getting a lathe? I've got feelers out for used equipment and plan to get a DVD to get started. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-03-2010, 2:40 PM
Patrick,

Do a lot of research before getting too involved. The lathe is the cheapest part of turning. I had a lathe and tools given to me by some of the turners here. 2 years later I had spent over $3,000 out of my own pocket BEFORE I upgraded to a bigger lathe.

Find a local club and attend a meeting and join. Turners by nature are very generous and will often let you visit their shop, see their setups, test drive them and give you some lessons/pointers.

Turning is an addiction and there is no 12 step program for recovery.

David DeCristoforo
10-03-2010, 4:25 PM
"Thoughts on getting into turning?"

Run... you fool! Run very fast. Take your money with you...

Wally Dickerman
10-03-2010, 4:39 PM
Turning in an apartment on a mini lathe is okay, but one major problem could be handling dust. Dust systems are very noisy.

Wally