PDA

View Full Version : Screw Cabinet

Gil Knowles
10-03-2010, 1:56 PM
Well I finally got tired of searching through my drawer for the right size screws and built a cabinet with 18 drawers to hold them.
It is made from cherry, finished with BLO and then waxed. The dimensions are 25" W X 12.5" H x 7" D. The boxes are 3.375" W X 3.5" H X 6.5" D. The knobs were purchased from LV.
I am slowly getting all my tools and accessories organized.
Thanks for looking.
Gil

Paul McGaha
10-03-2010, 2:27 PM
Nice Gil.

Looks like something from a library.

Dave Lehnert
10-03-2010, 2:28 PM
Looks GREAT!

Just send it my way for closer inspection. :D

Ray Newman
10-03-2010, 4:47 PM
Very nice work!

Ralph Okonieski
10-03-2010, 5:08 PM
Very nice !! Love the cherry.

Gil Knowles
10-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Thanks all for the replies.
Dave I think the shipping costs to you from Canada would be pretty high. lol

Callan Campbell
10-04-2010, 11:51 AM
If you're ordering from Lee Valley on a regular basis, you need to make MORE storage units like this NOW. And Larger, and more, and maybe a few more. There's always room for more from Lee Valley in a shop, esp. if you live near one of their stores and don't have to rely on catalogs or on-line like we in the US do...:D
Anyway, nice work:cool:

Jerome Hanby
10-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Prepare to be shamelessly copied. Looks great and exactly the right "tool" for the job.

gary Zimmel
10-04-2010, 1:48 PM
That is one nice screw cabinet Gil.
I am in the process of doing another shop upgrade and hope you don't mind if I borrow this design....

Neil Brooks
10-04-2010, 3:05 PM
Nicely done.

The only downside I see to organization is that ... it COULD REDUCE shop time ;)

Gil Knowles
10-04-2010, 3:53 PM
Gary, feel free to copy the design. If I was doing it over I would make the boxes a bit smaller mainly a liitle shallower. I will probably end up making another one. Tool and accessory storage never seems to be quite enough. It would probably be better if Lee Valley was not such a great company.
Neil lol

Mike Davis NC
10-04-2010, 3:55 PM
Are you going to label the drawers? I have a large library card drawer that I use for tools and I am constantly opening all the drawers to find something. I keep saying I will make labels but haven't done it yet.

Darrin Davis
10-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Building something like your screw case is always the funnest, but if you don't have time and want something built really well just visit your local library and ask them if they have any old card catalogs in storage that they want to get rid of. I have 4 of them (60 drawers total) and feel as though there is no way I will use all of the drawers.......but I'm trying!

Steve Griffin
10-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Outstanding!

I like how they are removable for taking around the shop.

The box size seems perfect--big enough for big stashes of pocket screws, square drives, bisquits etc and big enough to get your paw inside. And just about the right number for the small fasteners I like to have close at hand.

I'm still using those plastic bins and they are constantly getting sawdust in them. And no, I'm not about to keep them behind doors or in a drawer.

Thanks for sharing!

-Steve

Gil Knowles
10-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Mike
I have made some labels with a plastic labelling machine, I am trying to find a place to get some brass labels made at a reasonable price.

Jaze Derr
10-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Aw, now you are going to make my little plastic storage drawers jealous...