PDA

View Full Version : OK. OK! So I'm Slow...UPDATE With Curlies

Christopher K. Hartley
10-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes, I did want to get it right and Yes, I still have more to do. Then I remembered the immortal words of a bunch of old timers here..."No pics, it didn't Happen!":eek: So here they are. I still have overhead lights and dust retrivial system to install as well as a few other finishing touches. And yes, the next group of pics will include lots of curlies,,,I promise!:) Oh ya, one other thing. Truth be known, I am a bit afraid I will have to get a lot of practice to even measure up to the new standard you guys and ladies have set since I have been gone.:o

William Hutchinson
10-03-2010, 12:19 PM
That is one very nice shop, well done. Those shavings curtains will come in handy. Speaking of shavings...I don't see any:D

Steve Schlumpf
10-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Real nice setup Chris! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings real soon!

Ray Bell
10-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Christopher, that is one very nice shop area, and you are right about the higher standards. These guys are very good at this.

John Keeton
10-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Chris, save these pics!! You will never again see the ol' shop this clean!!:D

Great looking setup!

Pete Jordan
10-03-2010, 12:57 PM
It looks great, Chris!

Not to worry, my skills haven't improved.

Michael James
10-03-2010, 1:29 PM
OK buddy, now I believe you... very nice setup. I concur with Mr K.... it will never be that clean again.....:D
Really looking forward to your turnings, Christopher... and again, welcome back to the Creek.
mj

David E Keller
10-03-2010, 2:03 PM
You're the first guy I've seen who got it right... Gorgeous hunk of a lathe at center stage and a smattering of smaller flatwork stuff along the walls to decorate the rest of the shop. I started with an enormous table saw that never gets used at center stage... Hmmm, maybe I need to get rid of that table saw!

Welcome home!

Roger Chandler
10-03-2010, 2:39 PM
NICE setup there Chris! Great lathe!

Barry Elder
10-03-2010, 4:00 PM
I've been in surgical operating rooms that weren't that clean!!! No need to rush, Chris. All we have is time (to turn).

bob svoboda
10-03-2010, 4:02 PM
Looks like a great place to have some fun. Nice job, Chris.

Fred Perreault
10-03-2010, 4:08 PM
Nice digs..... one can only be envious.

John Beaver
10-03-2010, 6:26 PM
Looks great. I do something similar but not as elaborate. Did you consider clear curtains so you get light through them?

David DeCristoforo
10-03-2010, 6:33 PM
That is a really nice looking setup. While I concur completely with the statement that "You will never again see the ol' shop this clean!!", I really wonder if the individual who made the statement is qualified so make such a claim in view of the fact that sawdust or anything even remotely resembling untidiness has been totally lacking from any of the pictures of his own shop posted to date.

Bill Bolen
10-03-2010, 8:22 PM
Nice roomy shop Chris. Love all that head room too. Can't wait till your Robust is buried in shavings and you post some more of your beautiful turnings regularly. From what I've seen of your turnings you don't need to sweat the competition!!...Bill...

Christopher K. Hartley
10-03-2010, 8:46 PM
OK, OK so now it is dirty!! FLATWORK!!!!!:mad::D:D That is all turning stuff if you consider segmented. Thanks all!!:)

Tom Sherman
10-03-2010, 9:00 PM
Now that's the ticket, coming along nicely Chris. Won't be long you'll have to get a taller stool.

Tom Hamilton
10-03-2010, 9:18 PM
Nice new studio for your creative turnings. Congrats on getting it finished, at least in version 1.0.

The shavings curtains are a great idea. But you're still in the hot, humid south, so how will our ventilate and circulate inside the grey wall? Just curious.

Best regards, Tom, recalling turning on Beauty in your old garage shop.

Cathy Schaewe
10-03-2010, 10:24 PM
That is a really nice looking setup. While I concur completely with the statement that "You will never again see the ol' shop this clean!!", I really wonder if the individual who made the statement is qualified so make such a claim in view of the fact that sawdust or anything even remotely resembling untidiness has been totally lacking from any of the pictures of his own shop posted to date.

Ha! That's what I was thinking!!!!:rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing some more beautiful pieces!

Bernie Weishapl
10-03-2010, 11:31 PM
That is a super looking setup Chris. I have no doubt you will be back in the saddle with no problems.

brian watts
10-04-2010, 7:02 PM
OK, OK so now it is dirty!! FLATWORK!!!!!:mad::D:D That is all turning stuff if you consider segmented. Thanks all!!:)

how do you like the lathe? is it sweet 16?

Bill Bolen
10-04-2010, 8:31 PM
Ahhhh, now that is more like it! I even fell better now...Bill...

Steven Russell
10-04-2010, 9:14 PM
:D

Well Chris, I'm jealous now... I don't think my studio has been that clean since the day I moved all of my turning tools into it... :eek:

All I can say is you're studio is way clean bruddah, but my studio has had shavings piled up six to seven feet high on more occasions than I can count... Now top that... :cool:

Oh and er, um... I was even stuck in the rear area once when the shavings were piled so high from roughing bowls that I could not open the doors... Took me almost an hour to dig my way out enough to open the door. My wife was laughing hysterically by the way, somehow I did not find it that funny. :o Glad to see you're back in the thick of it... We miss you at the LSWA meetings! Take care and best wishes.

Tim Rinehart
10-05-2010, 7:29 AM
Chris, the shop looks well laid out and ready. My only thought, I suspect that AB of yours will throw shavings well higher than those curtains go!

Glad to see you back in the game as well.

Christopher K. Hartley
10-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Now that's the ticket, coming along nicely Chris. Won't be long you'll have to get a taller stool.Gosh I hope not I may get air sick...Thanks Tom:)

Nice new studio for your creative turnings. Congrats on getting it finished, at least in version 1.0.

The shavings curtains are a great idea. But you're still in the hot, humid south, so how will our ventilate and circulate inside the grey wall? Just curious.

Best regards, Tom, recalling turning on Beauty in your old garage shop.Thanks Tom, Version 1.0 is right I'm always changing things. You know me pretty well Ole Buddy! As far as the heat goes this unit is not as hot as the old garage, but yes still warm. Wish we could get together again.:)

Ha! That's what I was thinking!!!!:rolleyes:

Looking forward to seeing some more beautiful pieces!Thanks Cathy My first one will be the simple bowl you see in the photo. I have to practice a bit.:)

That is a super looking setup Chris. I have no doubt you will be back in the saddle with no problems.Thanks Bernie, Saddle, Hmm, I wonder if that would work instead of the stool.:)

how do you like the lathe? is it sweet 16?Brian I love it. Actually, it is an American Beauty 25.:)

Ahhhh, now that is more like it! I even fell better now...Bill... Ha ha, ya Bill so do I. Felt good to get covered in ribbons and dust.:)

:D

Well Chris, I'm jealous now... I don't think my studio has been that clean since the day I moved all of my turning tools into it... :eek:

All I can say is you're studio is way clean bruddah, but my studio has had shavings piled up six to seven feet high on more occasions than I can count... Now top that... :cool:

Oh and er, um... I was even stuck in the rear area once when the shavings were piled so high from roughing bowls that I could not open the doors... Took me almost an hour to dig my way out enough to open the door. My wife was laughing hysterically by the way, somehow I did not find it that funny. :o Glad to see you're back in the thick of it... We miss you at the LSWA meetings! Take care and best wishes.Just six or seven feet? Hmmm, curtains are about 10 feet high. I'm no production turner but I'll give it a shot.:D I miss you guys too, I'm going to try to get back this month. Say Hi to Pete for me. Thanks:)

Chris, the shop looks well laid out and ready. My only thought, I suspect that AB of yours will throw shavings well higher than those curtains go!

Glad to see you back in the game as well.Thanks Tim, Oh well hopefully it will stop most of them.:D