PDA

View Full Version : Electric weed eaters?

Bonnie Campbell
10-02-2010, 10:17 PM
I'd like some suggestions on electric weed eaters. I have a gas one, but the weight and vibration kill my arms. I need one that can have a decent length of extension cord attached too. Most of my trimming is right up by the house, but there are some spots that are aren't very close in.

TIA!

Ron Jones near Indy
10-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I have a B&D 18 volt cordless unit from Amazon. Light, easy to use and does a great job. Would buy it again without question. I have house, shop, stg bldg, 27 trees and 180' of chain link on a 3/4 acre lot. I can do it all on one battery--I bought a 3 piece set including hedge clipper and blower with 3 batteries.

Stephen Tashiro
10-03-2010, 3:43 AM
I like my Ryobi cordless weed eater. Your arms can get tired from winding and unwinding extension cords too! I have a "city yard" and am only trimming grass and grass-like weeds. I find my cordless weed eater to be as powerful as any of the corded ones that I have used. I doubt that you will find any electric weed eater to be as powerful as a gas weed eater. If you are trimming light brush like blackberry canes, you won't be happy with an electric.

Pat Germain
10-03-2010, 9:35 AM
Stephen makes a good point. An electric model won't be nearly as powerful.

Another point to remember: on an electric trimmer, use a heavy gauge extension cord. Like any power tool, it works much better when it can pull some amps.

I have an old Toro trimmer that works well. But I couldn't believe how much better it worked when one day I connected it to my heavy duty shop cord. "Wow, it's a whole different animal!"

Chris Kennedy
10-03-2010, 10:20 AM
I had a Troy-Bilt, and it worked great until one day when it wouldn't work at all. It was only a few years old, so I would give that one a miss.

Cheers,

Chris

Jim Becker
10-03-2010, 10:47 AM
My experience with the electric versions was never very positive...at least at that time, they were very much "light duty" machines and fine for a little trimming in a small area. Perhaps that has changed in the last x years...

Bill Cunningham
10-03-2010, 11:22 AM
I had one electric weed whacker that was made by 'yard pro' or Yard something...(YARD WORKS Looked at it out in the shed this afternoon) Anyway, it was just as powerful as any gas one I used, it was heavy, and lasted for about three years before the switch went, and I could never find another switch that would fit it. Even the manuf. didn't want to sell me one. I still have it, and if I ever find a switch it'll be in use again. I now have a gas one, but I prefered the electric for the simple reason that it started every time... No yanking a cord until blue in the face, then out of frustration, tossing it over a fence as therapy for the coming heart attack..:D

Curt Harms
10-03-2010, 2:53 PM
We have a green Black & Decker, have had it for 10+ years. Bill is right, it starts first time every time. My biggest complaint is that the string is quite small and breaks frequently if cutting large or woody material. it is pretty easy to thread, probably because I get a lot so practice. That may or may not be true of newer ones.

Myk Rian
10-03-2010, 3:23 PM
Since my doctor told me no gas engines for power tools due to my pacemaker, I bought a One+ 18v LiIon Ryobi trimmer. It works pretty good unless you're going to hog out tall grass.
I needed a new cordless drill, so I also got a Ryobi 18v so I can use all 3 batteries in either tool.

Tom Esh
10-03-2010, 5:24 PM
I have an old Toro that's a total horse. Goes through anything, especially with square or triangular cross section line. However like most electrics, it doesn't balance very well. The motor and all the weight is down at the head - a sure backache for me. I only drag it out for edging. I use a cheap BD cordless now. With its lighter DC motor and the bat pack on the other end as a counterweight it's comfortable to use.

Phil Thien
10-03-2010, 6:36 PM
Since my doctor told me no gas engines for power tools due to my pacemaker, I bought a One+ 18v LiIon Ryobi trimmer. It works pretty good unless you're going to hog out tall grass.
I needed a new cordless drill, so I also got a Ryobi 18v so I can use all 3 batteries in either tool.

What is it about gas engines that prevents use if you have a pacemaker?

Is it only handheld gas engines? Would a gas lawn mower be okay?

I woulda never thought!

Gary Hodgin
10-03-2010, 7:16 PM
I'd like some suggestions on electric weed eaters. I have a gas one, but the weight and vibration kill my arms. I need one that can have a decent length of extension cord attached too. Most of my trimming is right up by the house, but there are some spots that are aren't very close in.

TIA!

If you have fairly heavy duty weed-eating, there's not much of an alternative too gas. For light work (grass and weeds), you could go electric. My experience (and my wife's) is that the cordless electric trimmers are easier to use than the ones requiring the extension cord. I had to give up grass trimmers a couple of years ago because of health reasons (heart ICD).

My wife couldn't stand the weight of the gas trimmer so we got a cordless Black and Decker from Home Depot. She loves it. It's very light and comes with 2 batteries (you want 2 charged batteries before you start). The line is auto feed and doesn't require "bumping." I think they go for around $100. A corded electric trimmer is less expensive but I hate to mess with the cords. You might want to try the B&D or other brand. Buy it from some place who will take it back if it doesn't work for you. Walmart and Home Depot will usually take stuff back pretty easily as long as it's within a month of purchase.

Bryan Morgan
10-03-2010, 8:18 PM
After putting up with gas weed whackers that never wanted to start until I threw them across the yard (who says violence never solves anything? :) ) I went the electric route... 5 or 6 models later I finally have one that works correctly. Its an older Ryobi corded model. That sucker is very powerful. Have to be careful around the side of the house because it tears my stucco off. Trimmed through the bottom of one of my fence boards too. Has a "normal" string head part on it too so you can use whatever stuff attaches to a standard gas weed whacker. Although its electric it isn't that much lighter that the gas ones. The electric motor is on the top side, not the bottom like the cheap ones. It balances pretty well and is adjustable. If I have a complaint its that I go through string like crazy. Tall thick grass, big weeds, small trees are no problem for this thing.

I've gone through grass hogs, Torro, etc... they all sucked bad. Total useless crap that wound up smashed to pieces and thrown away.

Bill Cunningham
10-03-2010, 10:42 PM
That's what I found nice about that YardWorks one I have.. The motor is also at the top end, and draws I think about 10 amps so that would be about 1.5 hp which I'm pretty sure more hp than those gas weed wackers. It is heavy, maybe a bit heavier than the gas Poulan I'm using now, but no vibration, and no repetitive cord yanking till yer blue in the face..

Lance Norris
10-03-2010, 10:58 PM
I also have the Ryobi 18volt and am happy with it. Using the Li-ion batteries, it has enough power to trim my 55x155 yard and then using the same battery, in the blower, blow off the sidewalks.

John Coloccia
10-04-2010, 1:10 AM
You could just wear anti-vibration gloves and fit a strap to the tool. That would probably fix most of it, right? I don't use anything without my padded gloves anymore. All that vibration kills my wrists and really aggravates my tennis elbow. The gloves are a HUGE help. I think I bought mine at Harbor Freight.

Bonnie Campbell
10-04-2010, 9:35 PM
I'm thinking the battery weeder will be a good option for me. It will just be grass and weeds I'm cutting. Anything heavier and I'll keep my gas weed eater around.... Does anyone know the Worx brand that Kmart sells? I'm just wondering if a 24V would be better than an 18?

Lance Norris
10-04-2010, 9:45 PM
Bonnie, I would recommend a name brand like Ryobi. I dont know anything about Worx, but Ryobi has been, and will be around for quite a while. You should consider what will happen in the future, as far as brand stability, parts availability and so forth. Batteries dont last forever, will you be able to get batteries for a Worx brand tool if the brand is no longer available in a few years?

As far as 18 vs 24 volt... I have many Ryobi 18 volt tools and they are plenty powerful. As far as the Ryobi yard tools, the trimmer, blower, pole pruner and chain saw all have the power to get the job done. I have all 4 and they are well built, and reasonably priced. There also is a hedge trimmer that I do not have, and cant give any advice on... Yet. = )

Bonnie Campbell
10-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks Lance, that IS a good point. I've been burnt by off/odd brand companies before....

David Weaver
10-05-2010, 8:28 AM
Bonnie - get a pipe clamp like this:

http://natfittings.com/PipeClamp1.htm

and a strap about like what's designed for a laptop bag (they're available on amazon) - one that's adjustable for length and can go over one shoulder.

You will love your gas trimmer once you do that.

You're basically just fashining a single-shoulder strap like more expensive trimmers have, and you'll never feel the vibration on your shoulder, nor have an aches in your hands.

Everyone who has a cheap trimmer should put something like that together, it's well worth the $10 or $15 it costs.

My clamp is just below the rubber hand grip on the trimmer shaft, and just like with a purpose built strap, you can pivot the trimmer's weight on the strap and do all kinds of things you can't tolerate comfortably freehand.

I've had cordless trimmers, still have one. After struggling with it for a year on a relatively small yard (but one with a fence), I ponied up the bucks and bought a shindaiwa trimmer and found myself wanting a strap. The guy at my power shop put together exactly what I just described for me for $10.

My 18V cordless trimmer with no strap causes me fatigue if I run out the entire battery. I can run the trimmer with a strap indefinitely and have none at all. Your gas trimmer will be more comfortable than an electric trimmer you'd buy without a strap.

Lee Schierer
10-05-2010, 10:30 AM
I have an older electric corded string trimmer and it does a good job. I have a 50' heavy duty extension cord that I use with it. LOML likes it because you just pull the trigger to start it and it doesn't vibrate. It is quiet so you don't need ear protection while running it. It does a good job on grass and most weeds.

I don't think the cordless ones will develop enough power long enough to be much use.

Jim Rimmer
10-05-2010, 2:11 PM
Do any of you battery weed whacker users have St. Augustine grass? I had an electric that finally died and replaced it with an Ecko gas unit. It works great but I would rather have less weight and vibration but St. Augustine grass is tough to cut. Anybody used a battery unit on SA grass?

Rick Moyer
10-05-2010, 2:38 PM
What is it about gas engines that prevents use if you have a pacemaker?

Is it only handheld gas engines? Would a gas lawn mower be okay?

I woulda never thought!

I am also curious about this?????

David Weaver
10-05-2010, 2:44 PM
Do any of you battery weed whacker users have St. Augustine grass? I had an electric that finally died and replaced it with an Ecko gas unit. It works great but I would rather have less weight and vibration but St. Augustine grass is tough to cut. Anybody used a battery unit on SA grass?

Do up the shoulder strap and sling it over your head to the opposite shoulder like you would with a camera bag, and it'll never bother you again. You guys will be kicking yourself if you don't and you have to fight a weak trimmer.

The vibrations don't make it through the strap, and what little vibration does, it doesn't make it through your shoulder meat.

I would hate to have to use an electric or cordless trimmer if I didn't have to (given that I already did). The dog fence the prior owner left in my house just kills them pronto, and the only line that I've found tough enough to ignore the fence for several swats, doesn't come in the narrow widths.

Gary Hodgin
10-05-2010, 3:26 PM
I (actually my wife since I had my ICD installed this summer) use the B&D cordless on bermuda and Kentucky fescue. All the trimming is grass, few weeds, and nothing requiring a heavier duty trimmer. My wife tried the gas trimmer one time for about 5 minutes and said "we're going to Home Depot." We got the B&D and she gave my gas trimmer to a guy who was trimming my neighbor's tree a few days later. Too many problems with the weight, vibration, line-feeding, and keeping it running. Spent more time messing with the trimmer than trimming.

The cordless is very light, no vibration, no pulling and fussing to start it and keep running, no line feed bumping, no gas/oil mixture to deal with, no carburetor/gas problems, no fussing with extension cords, and so on. She can have just about all of our trimming done with the cordless by the time I could gas up and start the gas trimmer. Down side is it's light weight plastic, need to keep batteries charged (don't last a long time), and not designed for small trees and heavy brush. I'd had my gas trimmer for about 25 years, but I did hate to use it. I doubt the B&D will last anywhere near that long.

Stephen Tashiro
10-05-2010, 3:52 PM
On the mysears.com forum, someone mentioned that there are now trimmers that use propane as a fuel instead of automotive "gas". The poster's opinion was that the technology was still buggy. Anyone tried such a trimmer?

David Weaver
10-05-2010, 5:29 PM
On the mysears.com forum, someone mentioned that there are now trimmers that use propane as a fuel instead of automotive "gas". The poster's opinion was that the technology was still buggy. Anyone tried such a trimmer?

Haven't tried it, but saw them. They take the coleman tanks like hibachi grills (at least the ones I saw do).

It was only a matter of time once they became four cycle before people start trying to find different things to market - things that weren't as convenient when the engines were two strokes.

If they are properly made, they should last a very long time on propane if the air filter is in good shape, though. No gunk.

Can't be that cost effective to have to buy the tanks, though.

Shawn Christ
10-05-2010, 8:32 PM
Bonnie, I think the Ryobi would be worth a look, particularly if you have or could use the other tools. I have many of Ryobi's One+ cordless tools and the lithium batteries are a vast improvement over the old ni-cads (but also more expensive). I do not have their string trimmer but that and also the hedge trimmer interest me.

I have a Toro 8" cordless string trimmer and am happy with it. It doesn't have a removable battery, but plugs in while it hangs on the wall in the garage. It retails for around $50. My first Toro lasted 6 years; I'm now on my second one. Very lightweight, and plenty of power to trim my entire 1/4 acre yard.

Callan Campbell
10-06-2010, 12:37 PM
I had a Harbor Freight 18 volt model for a few years until the batteries stopped taking a decent charge. Bought the Black & Decker for almost the same money to replace it. Night and day difference, Batteries are stronger, still 18 volt, charges easier, works longer on a charge and the battery system can give you state of charge read-out which is helpful to know BEFORE you start doing yard work. It's just a weed eater, not a trimmer like a hedge trimmer, but it works well.:D