PDA

View Full Version : HF Dust Collectors

Mike Turner
10-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Has anyone had any experience with HF dust collectors? I have a 20 by 20 shop and need something to help with the sanding dust from the lathe. Thanks !

Gene Howe
10-02-2010, 10:19 PM
I have the two Hp model and it serves me very well. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, if I needed one.
I vented mine to the outside. Saved some space in the shop.

Travis Gunn
10-03-2010, 6:49 PM
2hp HF, built a thein seperator & exhaust outside. Works well for me.

Alan Lightstone
10-03-2010, 7:18 PM
Google is your friend (someone had to say it).

You'll find many threads here regarding HF DC and modifications to them.

Happy hunting.

Howard Skillington
10-03-2010, 7:36 PM
This machine is fine, Mike, but will need a better filter element if you can't vent outside. Lots of people use it with a filter from Wynn, which aren't cheap, but you end up with the most filtration for the buck available on this planet.
Click here: 35A Series Cartridge Kit (http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm)
Make sure you wait for HF to discount it down to about a hundred and fifty bucks, which they do regularly. Then use one of the 20% discount coupons that can be found lots of places, including the back of each month's Car & Driver magazine.

Pat O'malley
10-03-2010, 8:34 PM
I like mine, I replaced the bag with a 1 micron bag from Amazon about $25.00-$30.00 shipped

Ben Martin
10-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I like mine, did a baffle and the wynn filter. I also converted it to use 6" SD pipe instead of 4".

Do a search on here, the HF dust collector has been discussed a lot on here.

David Hostetler
10-06-2010, 5:13 PM
I have the 2HP newer model, fitted with a Wynn 35A spun bond poly filter, and a Thien pre separator. It does an excellent job. I am going 5" from the DC to the separator, then splitting 5x4x4 at the separator intake...

Greg Urwiller
10-07-2010, 9:16 PM
Well, all you HF advocates have pretty well got me convinced! I've been trying to buy a <1yr old Jet 1100 canister style for the last 4 weeks. It's far enough away that I only want to go look on the weekends. But the guy is always busy....supposedly. Said he used to be a cabinet maker and listed a bunch of tools on CL. Getting out of the business. But I don't think he really wants to sell very bad. ANYWAY...I called him one more time tonight, and if it doesn't work out, I'll go with the HF 2hp. I've got a coupon for $139 that's good into Nov. After reading posts here and on another site, I think I'll go with a Wynn filter, and probably a Thien baffle too. Darn....now I'm hoping he doesn't call back!! Greg