PDA

View Full Version : Rough Cut woodworking, Any see new show?

Dave Lehnert
10-02-2010, 9:50 PM
Anyone see Rough Cut Woodworking today?

On the table top he was building. after he jointed the edges for glue-up. He purposely used a hand plane on the edge of the board to create a "Dish" on the edge so when you put the two edges together, there is a gap in the middle. He drew the boards together during glue-up.
I have never seen this before. Why would you do that over a true jointed edge?

Eiji Fuller
10-02-2010, 10:02 PM
its called a sprung joint. supposedly makes it so that the joints never separate at the ends.

glenn bradley
10-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Right, sprung joint. Some swear by them, some don't care. Gary Rogowski has a method of doing this as part of your normal power edge jointing that requires no change in setup, just technique.

Paul DeCarlo
10-03-2010, 5:25 AM
Hello,

I'm new to these forums, might as well jump right in.

I was taught to prepare edges for glue ups that way as well. The theory is that the ends of the boards will shrink at a higher rate than the center because the end grain is porous. The "spring" is supposed to off set that. If you get it exactly right you can glue up smaller panels with only one clamp.

BTW, seems like a lot of great info and idea sharing going on. Looking forward to contributing.

-Paul

Peter Quinn
10-03-2010, 7:34 AM
Dave, when did it air? The WGBH web site still lists "no airings scheduled" for rough cut. Is it airing in your area now? Huh, found it...its replaying tonight, I'll have to watch.

Oh, the sprung joint thing works. You can put one clamp in the middle and the outer edges get pressure and squeeze!. I'm not saying use only one clamp. And always rejoint the leading edge before ripping to width when gluing up a top from multiple sprung joints, They have a way of getting thiner in the middle!

Dave Lehnert
10-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Proof one can learn something new.

Thanks everyone.

Peter Quinn
10-04-2010, 5:28 PM
I just watched it this morning. Wow, that is a fast moving show. They are on the edge of speed talking there. I think I need to watch it again a few times to form an opinion, but my initial reaction is "Did you just see that go by?" Nice to see good solid technique and beautiful wood. I'm still wondering about using shellac for a working kitchen table though?

Frank Drew
10-04-2010, 5:43 PM
Some of the better quality heavy-duty jointers can set to create sprung joints. The amount of spring is ideally quite small.

I rarely used sprung joints, and I've never seen my glue joints open up at the ends, even on furniture I made years ago, so I think the advantage of sprung joints might be as much theoretical as practical, and whatever advantage there is might largely depend on the wood's moisture content.

John Gregory
10-04-2010, 6:15 PM
He does talk fast. I noticed that just about everything in his shop is new! I would compare this program to Woodsmithshop more than NYW. Woodsmithshop and Rough Cuts shows more techniques than project building from start to finish. NYW and Woodworks took a project from start to finish. I liked that a lot. I am just happy that we have another woodworking show on TV. One can always learn something new. I guess that I should send Woodcraft a thank you note for underwriting Rough Cut. That is a large financial commitment to our hobby.

NYW got me into woodworking, I hope that T-Mac can do the same for the next generation of woodworkers.

Neil Brooks
10-04-2010, 6:26 PM
He does talk fast. I noticed that just about everything in his shop is new!

For the record, one of the majors (IIRC, it's Woodcraft) is the main sponsor for the show.

They basically said, "Here, Tommy. Tell us what WE sell that YOU want, for the show."

I was there on one of the two or three delivery days.

Lemme' tell ya: it was painful to watch (I think the proper term is "envy.") !

They really seem to be doing a good job of saying, "I'm not hawking products for you that I don't LIKE."

Is THAT part sustainable ? Time will tell....

Dan Karachio
10-04-2010, 6:35 PM
Neil, I think you somehow managed to live through one of my fantasy day dreams! You know, one of those, "spend $40,000 in ten minutes" sort of things...

I guess it is smart. I mean, this will certainly trigger some deep desires for various tools and it can only help with sales. Funny that by contrast Norm NEVER showed a tool label. It was his policy I believe.

Hey, wait a minute. Are you saying that with the pick of the litter, he chose the WoodRiver planes? He was using one last night. My local WC carries Lie Nielsen!

Will Overton
10-04-2010, 6:44 PM
No sign of the show here.

Neil Brooks
10-04-2010, 6:47 PM
Dan-

Just one thing: I left home with nothing but a copy of Tommy's CD (not that I wasn't grateful, by the way ... !).

Are WRs made BY, or FOR Woodcraft ?

I think so.

If so, then there may have been a little bit of push, here and there, about what they wanted him to want ... so to speak.

I didn't get all the details, but I DID clarify that he does have his principles, and that he genuinely stood by the notion that he didn't want to take part in selling products that HE judges to be inferior.

It's hard to imagine that there won't be some give-and-take along the way, though. Nature of the beast.

Neil Brooks
10-04-2010, 6:49 PM
No sign of the show here.

Feel like jotting your local station a note ?

My thought: a WW show would have to be REALLY bad before it brought any harm to our common passion, generally.

I don't think I have to detail ... what I think are the benefits of bringing more WWs into the fold.

Matt Kestenbaum
10-05-2010, 9:58 AM
I guess it is smart. I mean, this will certainly trigger some deep desires for various tools and it can only help with sales. Funny that by contrast Norm NEVER showed a tool label. It was his policy I believe.

Are you kidding me? Almost every thing Norm touched had the Delta/Porter Cable name on it! In some cases it seems they dragged in equipment just so we could see Delta's latest model. I can't believe Norm's first choice in band saws was a Delta 14". I was watching a replay last week and noticed a close up of his router...his Makita router was painted grey!! The name plaque had -grey tape over it.

I think he actually has more hand skills than was ever showcased...it was a a power tool show...more power tools means happier more supportive sponsors.

And its not like Norm ever discussed the virtues of one method or tool over another...like a dado cut on the table saw vs. with a router. Not did he ever offer advice to audience about cutting mortices with a drill-press and chisel...just used his DELTA hollow chisel mortiser...a bench top model rather than say a General International floor standing unit or a PM 719 or JDS Multi router or a Slot Mortiser.

For record Woodsmith does the same thing....every thing is Powermatic or Rockler...to an extreme point.

Only This Old House has seemingly no tool loyalty...the subcontractors use whatever and Tom Silva has been making his love of Festool apparent for the last year or two.

David Weaver
10-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Dan-

Are WRs made BY, or FOR Woodcraft ?

Made FOR them in the sense that they are supplied to woodcraft by a factory in China.

Woodcraft has had a lot of influence on their design, maybe all of the influence on their design (at least as much as one could have copying a bedrock design).

You have to figure immediately if woodcraft is sponsoring the show, there aren't going to be competitor hand tools jammed in front of the camera. It's not a woodcraft issue, it's an issue of that's how TV works when someone else foots the bill.

If he absolutely couldn't tolerate them, I doubt he'd use them.

John Gregory
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I see nothing wrong with using the tools from your sponsor. I Doubt Norm would ever use a tool that he could not recommend. That being said, if you like PC nailers and they pay tens of thousands of dollars underwriting your show. You should use them.

If sponsors products are not shown in the show, why should they pay to underwrite the show?

Van Huskey
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey, wait a minute. Are you saying that with the pick of the litter, he chose the WoodRiver planes? He was using one last night. My local WC carries Lie Nielsen!

I think if you ask at your local WC you will find they no longer carry LN the ones they have are the left-overs, WC and LN parted ways.

Neil Brooks
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I see nothing wrong with using the tools from your sponsor. I Doubt Norm would ever use a tool that he could not recommend. That being said, if you like PC nailers and they pay tens of thousands of dollars underwriting your show. You should use them.

If sponsors products are not shown in the show, why should they pay to underwrite the show?

I can see this one heading down that slope ... that the moderators (correctly) don't like, so ... I'll be as careful as I can with my wording :)

I agree, in theory, with your premise.

If I were Woodcraft, I would agree with you 100%

But ... our industry is not that fragmented. There are only so many big retailers, and most of them sell most of the brands. I don't see this industry as marked by as many exclusives as some other industries, where only one retailer gets to carry Brand X, and only another carries Brand Y.

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

So ... if pressed ... and if I were evaluating underwriting the show ... I might look at it this way: anybody who comes to woodworking, after watching this show is GOING to spend SOME money with ME.

In other words, demanding Tommy only showcase products that Woodcraft sells ... may not generate much more revenue FOR Woodcraft than leaving the choice of tools wide open.

They wouldn't want Tommy constantly singing the praises of a tool that they do NOT sell, but ... if both parties played it cool, so to speak, I don't think I -- as the business person -- would have kept exclusivity as a dealbreaker, if I were WC.

We'll have to see how that plays out.

I know, for instance, that Tommy was REALLY unhappy with one of the products that WC shipped HIM, without HIM asking for it (it wouldn't be right for me to name it). If I could get the darned show, in my area :rolleyes:, I'd know if he sucked it up, or told them no way, and used another product -- whether WC carried it or not.

Norm's hands -- IMHO -- were much more tightly bound, even though most of us would probably agree that P-C/Delta DO make some pretty good products.

At least Tommy's not being underwritten by a mom-and-pop retailer whose product offerings ... would make most of us thumb our noses.

But ... ALL that said ... they're putting some $3M behind it. They say "dance," you tend to ... dance ;)

Just my $0.02.

Dan Hintz
10-05-2010, 1:06 PM
Couldn't the argument be made that if the guy finds a tool that he enjoys and WC isn't currently carrying it, they should start? Nothing gets brisk sales going like a good endorsement from a craftsman...

David Weaver
10-05-2010, 1:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

There aren't many, Pfeils the only thing that comes to mind.

There are some exclusive distributorships, too, but I don't know if they are all public, so I'll keep them to myself. They do, though, add cost to products that could be shipped directly to retailers over here. I'd be surprised if most of the imported products didn't come through an exclusive distributor, but who knows?

David Weaver
10-05-2010, 1:23 PM
Couldn't the argument be made that if the guy finds a tool that he enjoys and WC isn't currently carrying it, they should start? Nothing gets brisk sales going like a good endorsement from a craftsman...

It's not always an option, especially when there are exclusive distributorships and territory agreements, etc. Last I heard from WC, right before the LN thing ended, they hoped the deal wouldn't fall through and they could keep carrying LN's.

I know Tommy used a LN gents saw in one of his online videos, and he usually commented on keeping tool costs low and making do, but he said as though he felt guilty that the LN gents saw cuts really really nice (or something to that effect). If he uses that on his show instead of a crown gents saw, I doubt the brand will be mentioned! I wonder if the editor will cut that out on the online videos - hopefully not, it would hardly be worth worrying about. Who knows unless the videos are actually put back up?

Jim Rimmer
10-05-2010, 1:39 PM
It's not on on the Houston area yet and I can't even find any mention of it on the local PBS website.

Read a couple of reviews on other sites and the negative comments were 1. talked too fast; 2. too much covered in too little time; and 3. too many catch phrases (easy breezy or someing like that used over and over). Overall, it was given a thumbs up and an opportunity to correct things and get betteras it goes since this was show #1.

Neil Brooks
10-05-2010, 1:41 PM
It's not on on the Houston area yet and I can't even find any mention of it on the local PBS website.

Read a couple of reviews on other sites and the negative comments were 1. talked too fast; 2. too much covered in too little time; and 3. too many catch phrases (easy breezy or someing like that used over and over). Overall, it was given a thumbs up and an opportunity to correct things and get betteras it goes since this was show #1.

That was my overall impression of the reviews that I've seen, too.

And ... I don't know about you, but ... if it were ME in front of those cameras ... I'd be drooling, stammering, sweating, and ... need a frequent ... um ... wardrobe change.

That's why he has producers: to help polish his on-camera work, and perfect his 'tv personality.'

Myk Rian
10-05-2010, 2:13 PM
I can't believe Norm's first choice in band saws was a Delta 14".
Because it's a good BS? :)
I'm surprised there wasn't a riser on it.

Mike Heidrick
10-05-2010, 3:23 PM
Wood River Version 3 planes got a nod by PWW folks recently. Aparently they listened to Chris on his suggestion and changed the planes.

Neil Brooks
10-05-2010, 5:02 PM

Couldn't agree more.

My guess: the limitation would be that WC couldn't get pricing that would allow them to hit their target margins, or ... the mfgr can't meet production numbers, delivery schedules, ... that kind of thing.

But I agree: if Their Man Tommy really likes something that they DON'T carry, then they surely ought to be talking to Tommy about WHY he likes it, and then making at least a concerted effort TO carry it.

And if business reasons keep WC from opting to offer it, and I were the decision maker, I'd likely be verrrrry hesitant about how often to ask Tommy NOT to use an outside product.

My $0.02. YMMV :)

Peter Parrinello
10-05-2010, 8:05 PM
I would love to watch his show but can't seem to find it showing in the Detroit area.:(

Matt Kestenbaum
10-05-2010, 8:41 PM
I meant no disrespect to Norm (or Delta/PC in his case) or to any other manufacturer. Money makes the world go 'round!! I am not naive.

In fact, I have spent many years as a consumer products marketer (not consumer or trade durables which tools and woodworking might be)...so I tend to watch with a fairly trained eye for the way sponsorships are handled and the subtle ways brands are promoted. One of things that specifically has made the TV woodworker's shop different from most workshops is the way tools are acquired, arranged and managed. Just ask anyone on this forum about their tool choices...HECK there's probably an argument breaking out right now in another thread on SMC about...euro J/Ps vs. dedicated machines, or parallelogram beds vs. dovetail ways, carbide vs. HSS, or whatever. We woodworkers have serious strong opinions in general! Especially about what tools and specs we want and why.

The variety and personality of the shops shown of authors in the magazine world is surprisingly varied.

One of the great things about watching a skilled woodworker...in a class, at a guild meeting, or on TV... is how they choose their methods, tools and tool set-ups. So, to have an instructor or artisan's tool choices on TV tied up with sponsorship has at times been very noticeable to me...whether on NYW, Woodsmith, etc.

Some of what was indirectly pointed out in previous posts was that Woodcraft is not exclusively a manufacturer and so there is likely to be more freedom and flexibility. And yes, as I believe Neil said, a smart marketer would take the long-view which is to happily promote the craft and know that increased interest in woodworking will bring a fair share or better to the store's door. I think that is why WC generally offers classes...cheaply.

As always, I enjoy the keen eye and sharp wits of the SMC crew!!

Peter Quinn
10-05-2010, 8:54 PM
Wow, it sure does get weird when you mix PBS and corporate sponsorships. Remember how nasty it got when Bob Villa wanted to make some money hawking tools? GET OUT BOB! The good old days when PBS didn't do advertising? Long gone now. The federal government pulled back the purse, individuals don't contribute enough, so the seemingly independent and impartial PBS becomes latched to the corporate teat in order to survive. And we the audience are left to guess out loud just how deep WC has their claws into this craftsman? Does he use a tool because he wants to or because he HAS to? I am curious but...

Honestly, the only thing I saw him use in that show that I can only get in one place was that #4 smoother, and they frankly look like a good deal to me. Maybe not a Lie Nielson, but a usable tool at a fair price. Will I buy one? Not unless the three old #4 bailey's I have now all break. I am personally more interested in HOW he uses a tool than who sells the brand he is using. And I was thrilled to see he was honestly advocating a hand plane over a ROS as a finishing weapon!

Advertising for children makes me sick. I'd like to get the people that market to those with impressionable minds alone in a room and punch them in their nose. But I'm not so impressionable, this show isn't for children, and if the folks at WC hope to influence me, they had better send ME $3million dollars, and thats a start! All this product placement junk of late leaves me scratching my head...does this stuff really influence anyone, and why?

Imagine if Grizzly had underwritten the show? Or perhaps Felder? Would that change things?

David Cramer
10-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I would love to watch his show but can't seem to find it showing in the Detroit area.:(

I just found this Peter. I hope the link helps.

David

http://www.pbs.org/modules/tvschedules/includes/programinfopopup.html?program_id=18185033&display_feed=10884&display_format=list_airdates&feeds=&station=WTVS&zipcode=&transport=&provider=&channelsuppress=f&source=az

Matt Kestenbaum
10-05-2010, 10:47 PM
All this product placement junk of late leaves me scratching my head...does this stuff really influence anyone, and why?

You bet it does. Marketing is a science. We are all influenced some where, some place by some marketer using price, place, promotion and product (the four P's as they're known) where it has meaning to us. Like it or not, it is as much a part of America as anything else.

Paul Canaris
10-06-2010, 1:37 PM
First table I built around 30 years ago used that technique for the table top. It is still with me and is our day to day kitchen table. It only has a tung oil finish which has never been renewed since first applied. Has had more wet stuff sit on the surface than is likely a good thing given that it is relatively unprotected, yet never a seperation of any of the boards making up the top. The sprung construction is likley a contributing factor. But then again it used a lot of dowels to join the top segments :D.

Peter Quinn
10-07-2010, 9:46 PM
You bet it does. Marketing is a science. We are all influenced some where, some place by some marketer using price, place, promotion and product (the four P's as they're known) where it has meaning to us. Like it or not, it is as much a part of America as anything else.

I guess what I meant to say was I don't care how many times I see a famous person pick up an item and wear/use/drink/consume it, at this point in my life I never feel particularly influenced by the consumption patterns of others as a reference point for my own decisions, and I wonder who does and why they keep doing this? I would probably be Madison Avenue's worst nightmare if there were more of me. Out of the four P's, only two have any relevance to me. What's it cost, and whats it do for the money. Price and product. Placement? I'll let the marketers know where they can place that as far as I'm concerned. Maybe my economics background has rendered me deaf to the sirens of commerce? And promotion? I guess every one who sells anything has to let people know what they have, but some of this stuff gets pretty ugly. I'm increasingly feeling insulted and amused by it. Its the exact same way hookers on a busy avenue market their product, just that hookers are more direct and honest. We should probably make prostitution legal and outlaw marketing on moral grounds.

That said I often buy wood working machinery based on a "look" as a third criteria. Yes, I rely on color, and certain aspects of what I find to be pleasing industrial design to make my final decisions. Does it have the right "curves", a pleasing symmetry, a centered focal point, a balanced profile. I'll pay more for a powermatic not because I think its a better machine, but because I find it more handsome! Hey, you have to look at this stuff while you work, or after working when you kick back and admire your shop. And I believe everyone does this! Last thing you want to do is think "Man, I have an ugly, boxy, strange assortment of tools here!" If I had a bigger budget, I buy all new Oliver tools, just because I love the look!

Jesse Wilson
10-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Just FYI for those in AZ, I emailed PBS at ASU and they stated that they plan on bringing Rough Cut to the local programing after the first of the year.

Jesse

James White
10-09-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.wgbh.org/schedule/

This airs today at 4-5 pm today.
This is a Boston station but we get it here in CT on Charter Cable channel 2.

James

Brian D Anderson
10-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Just FYI for those in AZ, I emailed PBS at ASU and they stated that they plan on bringing Rough Cut to the local programing after the first of the year.

Jesse

Same goes for Rochester, NY if anyone was interested. They said they're thinking of putting it on the PBS Create station.

-Brian

Ashwini Kaul
10-09-2010, 4:18 PM
Just saw it this morning... the first episode.
Liked it overall. He needs to relax though. He's trying to do too much in 25 minutes. And that accent at that speed... wish my DVR had a slow-motion option!
I like the energy and spirit he brings to the hobby. He's like the anti-David Charlesworth... as good as he is... I have to set my player at 1.5x!!

James White
10-09-2010, 4:46 PM
I must say I was sadly disappointed. I am not sure what the show is trying to accomplish. Watching someone push a button on a machine and then cut to the board coming out the other end is not my idea of teaching. It sort of feels like a trailer for an upcoming show were you will actually see some woodworking.

I really hope that the producers take some feedback and give the woodworkers a show that they will want to watch.

James

Peter Quinn
10-09-2010, 9:30 PM
So the next episode I see listed is next week, and includes a tour of Phllip Lowe's Shop, and a demo on making moldings. As a guy that often makes moldings for a living, I find that exciting! An architectural tour of of the Old North Church as well! Guess its going to take a whole season to form an opinion about this show.

Matt Meiser
10-10-2010, 8:23 AM
The first episode was on my DVR when I got home last night. I noticed the fast-talk right away but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Overall my initial impression is that its going to be a good show.

Alan Schaffter
10-10-2010, 10:45 AM
As others have noted, way too much fast talking. As I get older and slower I want my woodworking to be the same. I think Tommy's podcasts were much better- a start to finish approach, showing techniques, and no slick editing.

It looks like RC was shot and edited by Hollywood types- the jump around genre. Instead of Tommy standing there talking about doing something then showing him doing it, why not voice over the action? I know this is only his first show, but more slick production effort went into it than figuring out what the message should be. It was more production and editing than needed and certainly more than the single camera technique Morash used on NYW, which was fine for me. NYW followed Rough Cut on our local PBS station WUNC and at this point, in a side-by-side comparison, I have to give the nod to Norm and NYW! No show about WW is bad, but hopefully Rough Cut will evolve into something better, with a smoother presentation. If this had been a prime time show there probably wouldn't be a second episode.

Bill Huber
10-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Way to fast for me, I think he needs to spend more time on things but I am sure they want to get as much in as they can.

I may watch the next one but I am not sure after that.

ray hampton
10-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I watch Rough Cut for the first time yesterday on a PBS station
I received 4 pbs station 2 stations from KY and 2 from Ohio, I
think that it appear on WCET

Neil Brooks
10-10-2010, 12:34 PM
I really want to make a point, here, and -- full disclosure -- it's partly because I spent the afternoon with these guys in their shop, and think they have HUGE potential to HELP our little woodworking world.

His show succeeding would likely pay dividends to us all.
His show failing ... may not harm us, but it surely doesn't help.

If those of you with constructive criticism would consider taking a moment, and sending it on (well-worded, of course) to the show, it's my guess that they'll listen.

Our interests and their interests ARE in line, here. That's a good thing :)

Somebody operates their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/RoughCutTv). That's one option.

They also have a forum on the page for the show's website (http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=107&sid=b6800e9ddd999ac9ada8a21430eb9d8e).

Meanwhile, my only gripe is that we DON'T get the show in my neck of the woods :(

Just my $0.02. YMMV ;)

Dave Lehnert
10-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I think they make shows to appeal to the wider crowd not just woodworkers. If they dug into the very fine details of things bet ratings would go down. Kinda like watching American Chopper. I like watching the craftsmanship and how it is done but in no way want to ever build one. If they got into the details of wiring a bike my mind would start to drift.

Mark Maleski
10-10-2010, 1:01 PM
A few points:
1. Everyone in this thread so far is reacting to the first episode. While I liked it, I think those who are complaining about it moving too fast will become happier as the nervous energy settles out. Comparing NYW to the Rough Cut pilot episode is not a fair comparison (although I'd still give it to Tommy by a mile, for using a smooth plane if for no other reason).
2. I just watched the second episode, and thought there was more useful info (mostly on cutting dovetails). I think of the woodworker who has never hand-cut dovetails, and think this episode could give them a nudge.
3. I think the've already filmed the whole first season. Feedback seems good, but it might be better to let the season play out, and provide more balanced, informed feedback at the end.
4. I wish I could cut dovetails as quickly as Al Breed!

Neil Brooks
10-10-2010, 1:05 PM
3. I think the've already filmed the whole first season. Feedback seems good, but it might be better to let the season play out, and provide more balanced, informed feedback at the end.

YeahBut ... if your assumption about timing (ie, how much is already filmed) is correct, and ... I presume it is ... waiting until season 1 plays out ... means that season TWO is already in the can ;)

I'd still advocate that people give their constructive feedback. It's up to all of those who comprise The Show to determine their aims, goals, and intended demographic, and then decide which suggestions help them reach those ends.

Roger Jensen
10-10-2010, 7:16 PM
I had never heard of anyone "feeling" the grain to see determine the direction for the jointer/planer. Interesting idea, since I don't seem to read the grain right every time. I'll give it a try.

Just curious if this was a widely accepted practice.

I agree with previous posts about his rapid delivery and vocabulary, but I'm sure he's a little amped up on the first episodes. We need to give him a season to settle in.

I'd really like to see them dedicate one or two episodes a year to finishing methods and techniques. If he is going to break out of the 'poly on everything' strategy it would be interesting to hear expert advice and demonstrations.

Roger

mreza Salav
10-10-2010, 7:37 PM
I had never heard of anyone "feeling" the grain to see determine the direction for the jointer/planer. Interesting idea, since I don't seem to read the grain right every time. I'll give it a try.

Just curious if this was a widely accepted practice.

haven't watched the show..

Whenever I want to join/plane a bunch I go through all the boards and after checking the grain I sort them and place them in a stack next to the machin in the direction I want to feed them into the jointer/planer. For some woods it doesn't really matter, for others it minimizes the chip/tear outs (especially if you are jointing edges).

Alan Schaffter
10-11-2010, 12:10 AM
haven't watched the show..

Whenever I want to join/plane a bunch I go through all the boards and after checking the grain I sort them and place them in a stack next to the machin in the direction I want to feed them into the jointer/planer. For some woods it doesn't really matter, for others it minimizes the chip/tear outs (especially if you are jointing edges).

I just feed it however- never had a problem with the Shelix :D

Paul Steiner
10-11-2010, 10:24 AM
I checked the local PBS schedule online and it was not listed, but 2pm Saturday it was on. I tivoed it and I enjoyed it. He talks fast, but he also covers a whole lot of information in 30 minutes. I don't think you can compare anything to NYW so I won't do that. But I do plan on watching the rough cut in the future.

keith micinski
10-11-2010, 12:42 PM
I checked the local PBS schedule online and it was not listed, but 2pm Saturday it was on. I tivoed it and I enjoyed it. He talks fast, but he also covers a whole lot of information in 30 minutes. I don't think you can compare anything to NYW so I won't do that. But I do plan on watching the rough cut in the future.

Reading Pauls quote makes me wonder if it might be on in Northern Indiana and it just isn't showing up on my local PBS guide. Does anyone know if it might be on in northern Indiana but not showing up and if so when?

Brent Ring
10-11-2010, 3:08 PM
He talks very fast and with the NE accent, I have to listen closely. I think over time that will be tempered. But it is soooooo nice to have a woodworking show back on... I like this better than Woodsmith.

Dan Karachio
10-11-2010, 3:20 PM
For the life of me I could not find #2 even though #1 was on last weekend Sunday at 6pm. Gees, can we try harder to keep this show from being watched? Comcast and their awful on screen guide and search is annoying beyond belief. My station is WNJN so I searched it. Friday at 2:30 pm? Is that bizarre or what? And Episode 2 isn't on until this coming Friday! Since I am almost a week behind can we please keep the spoilers down to a minimum? :-)

Ruhi Arslan
10-11-2010, 3:33 PM
As others have noted, way too much fast talking.
[...]
... in a side-by-side comparison, I have to give the nod to Norm and NYW!

And too many "filler" words. He may be skilled but not a good presenter, at least not in front of the camera. I've seen the trestle table and the foot stool episodes and not impressed with the verbal presentation and the final editing of the show; both are too jumpy and disconnected. In comparison to Woodsmith Shop which is an infomercial in light disguise, Rough-cut appears to have not many "sponsors" yet. I've noticed that the branding on the band saw was taped over. But, I'll still watch it only because I can record and fast forward it as I please.

Mark Maleski
10-11-2010, 6:10 PM
Since I am almost a week behind can we please keep the spoilers down to a minimum? :-)

Dan, Sorry. I hope no one has revealed to you yet that he wakes up at the end of the next episode to realize it's just a dream, and he's just a student at North Bennet Street school with no job, fame, or tv show.

Dan Karachio
10-11-2010, 8:08 PM
Are you kidding me? Almost every thing Norm touched had the Delta/Porter Cable name on it! In some cases it seems they dragged in equipment just so we could see Delta's latest model. I can't believe Norm's first choice in band saws was a Delta 14". I was watching a replay last week and noticed a close up of his router...his Makita router was painted grey!! The name plaque had -grey tape over it.

I never saw a label on any of his tools. Also, he said in an interview that this was their policy - to never show a tool label. Sure, you could tell what many were, including Delta, but I think this is all accurate.

Jesse Wilson
10-19-2010, 5:24 PM
I just got the scoop regarding the local Phoenix airing of the show:

I am pleased to announce that Eight will be airing “Rough Cut – Woodworking with Tommy Mac” on Saturday afternoons at 5:30 pm beginning in December. The first episode, “Trestle Table”, will air on December 25, 2010.

We value program suggestions from our viewers and we appreciate knowing what you enjoy watching. We hope you continue to enjoy the wide variety of programs available on Eight.

Sincerely,

Kim
Viewer Services
Eight, Arizona PBS / KAET-Phoenix
Arizona State University
Visit www.azpbs.org/digital (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/www.azpbs.org/digital)
Learn about Eight HD, Eight Create and Eight World.

Joe Leigh
10-20-2010, 7:11 AM
I never saw a label on any of his tools. Also, he said in an interview that this was their policy - to never show a tool label. Sure, you could tell what many were, including Delta, but I think this is all accurate.

Fail. The SawStop logo is clearly visible on the fence. At least it is on the trestle table show.

Neil Brooks
10-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Fail. The SawStop logo is clearly visible on the fence. At least it is on the trestle table show.

I think Dan's comments were in reference to ol' Norm, and the New Yankee Workshop.

Alan Schaffter
10-20-2010, 10:39 AM
And "Oneida" was visible on the DC.

Dan Karachio
10-20-2010, 11:26 AM
"fail" on reading comprehension. We were talking about Norm not showing brand labels.

Joe Leigh
10-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Sorry Dan, the "fail" refered to the failure to cover up the logo. My apologies.

Jesse Wilson
10-20-2010, 8:15 PM
Stupid cookies.....

Peter Stahl
10-20-2010, 9:04 PM
Anyone in South Jersey with Comcast able to get this show?

Curt Harms
10-21-2010, 7:33 AM
I just watched it this morning. Wow, that is a fast moving show. They are on the edge of speed talking there. I think I need to watch it again a few times to form an opinion, but my initial reaction is "Did you just see that go by?" Nice to see good solid technique and beautiful wood. I'm still wondering about using shellac for a working kitchen table though?

I noticed the same thing. He needs to slow his cadence about 10-15% and quit saying 'right guys' every other or every third sentence. Tommy's woodworking talent is very good, his oral delivery needs a little tuning.

Curt Harms
10-21-2010, 7:35 AM
Anyone in South Jersey with Comcast able to get this show?

Check NJN/WNJT 6 p.m. on Sunday nights. It might be on every other week, not sure.

Bill Huber
10-21-2010, 9:46 AM
I noticed the same thing. He needs to slow his cadence about 10-15% and quit saying 'right guys' every other or every third sentence. Tommy's woodworking talent is very good, his oral delivery needs a little tuning.

I agree with that, right guys, he ends every sentence with it, right guys. I am not sure why he does that but I hate it, right guys. Just slow down a little, right guys.

Mike Jaeger
10-21-2010, 2:52 PM
I was going to watch a complete show this past Saturday.
He was building a step stool and he had another person in the shop with him by the name of Al.
It was extremely annoying listening to him say "right Al."
In fact so annoying I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing.
Perhaps I'll give it another try.

Bill Huber
10-21-2010, 3:29 PM
I was going to watch a complete show this past Saturday.
He was building a step stool and he had another person in the shop with him by the name of Al.
It was extremely annoying listening to him say "right Al."
In fact so annoying I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing.
Perhaps I'll give it another try.

I don't know that you will get used to it, right guys.
When someone is not in the shop with him he is always saying "Right Guy", right guy.:D

Peter Stahl
10-22-2010, 7:13 AM
Check NJN/WNJT 6 p.m. on Sunday nights. It might be on every other week, not sure.

thanks Curt, looks like every Sunday.

Matt Kestenbaum
10-22-2010, 11:45 AM

I happened to be watching an episode last night and so a i recorded it and went through a few times...very interesting. Delta is covered on the jointer but the DJ-20 is perfectly shown. on the band saw no "delta" name but the Trident logo is on the upper wheel cover and easy to make out. The web-site shop tour of NYW has direct links to delta/porter cable models for purchase on the spot.

So there is some truth to the show not being obnoxiously brad-wrapped, but there's no mix of tools either.

Matt Kestenbaum
10-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Generally I like it! I am pleased to see a show where aesthetic sensibilities are stressed along with true craftsmanship. But, there are some details that still need some serious attention.

I was amazed in the episode last weekend when he started explaining the assembly and then magically they were all half blind dovetailed. Like Julia Child or Emeril tying up a raw turkey and then...BAMM!!! A perfectly dovetailed cabinet (roasted bird) comes of the second oven.

I also found it weird that the audio takes and the visuals are kind of jumbled up...at one point he is explaining rabbets with a dado set and the saw is running in the audio background, but in the visual the saw is already shutdown and blade stopped. Twice my ears told me that he is explaining and detailing a process while hovering over a spinning blade...but the visual had the saw already shut down and the blade completely stopped.

Its not just the fast talking...he is covering many many hours of detailed work in 20 mins. I watched some of his videos on-line and they are better, but still have issues. He explains his dovetail technique somewhat on the tool box project, but never mentions his choice to cut pin first while balancing the case sides on end?

Maybe the rough around the edges doesn't just apply to the lumber he chooses!

David Cramer
10-22-2010, 12:21 PM
Based off of the responses, I will surely be in the minority, but I am so bloody grateful that there is a new woodworking show on tv that I could care less about the little quirks of his personality. He knows his stuff and he will work out the kinks as he goes along.

Heck I took a David Marks class and he told us during lunch that he hopes no one ever gets to see his first taping, because it was so bad. He laughed and so did we. We weren't laughing at him but how he could laugh at himself and how he came to realize how much time it took to get it right. Tommy MacDonald will do the same thing. They will get feedback and things will be tweaked here and there by PBS.

The guy is good and I'm sure his oratory skills and techniques will only get better over time. His sidekicks remind me of Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon. It takes a little pressure off of him and in time, it'll work.

Like I said, I am so happy that I have a "new" show to look forward to on Saturday afternoon (12:30p in Metro Detroit) that I could care less if he spoke another language. Think about it, it could be worse if someone else were doing the show, someone like me:eek::eek::eek:!

Neil Brooks
10-22-2010, 12:26 PM
David Cramer-

Well said.

A new woodworking show -- quite likely -- can only benefit woodworkers.

When I look back at the pilot episodes of my favorite TV shows, they bear very little resemblance to later episodes.

Produce. Take feedback. Revise. Repeat.

The guys' have skills. To me, that's about 90% of the part that _I_ care about: I CAN learn from him/them :)