PDA

View Full Version : Piercing - Power Carver Help Please

Jeff Paxton
10-02-2010, 7:11 PM
I want to begin piercing some of my turnings and have been doing quite a bit of research. I have about decided on the NSK Presto. Below are the links to the the package deals I am considering. One comes with a foot pedal and the other with a on/off switch on the regulator/filter (3 in 1 Carver). My thinking is that I would most likely do most piercing sitting with the vessel in my lap. With that in mind, the food pedal might be uncomfortable to use while sitting especially trying to keep consistent rpms. The on/off switch just seems like it would be easier while sitting. How important is the foot pedal? The one with the foot pedal is about $475 and the one at Craft Suppy that has the 3 in 1 carver with the on/off switch is about $450. $25 is not a big deal, I just want to get the best on for my application.

Those of you who do piercings and carvings, do you have any thoughts or suggestions for someone getting started? Thanks for any help.

Jeff

Here are the links:

http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/stor...ne-Carver.html (http://www.thewoodcraftshop.com/store/p/3382-NSK-Presto-Air-Turbine-Carver.html)

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...r___nsk_carver (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Carving___Pyrography___Carving___NSK_Presto_High_S peed_Carver___nsk_carver)

Wally Dickerman
10-02-2010, 7:17 PM
I don't see much value in a foot pedal. I never want to turn the carver off with the burr in the wood.

Wally

Jon McElwain
10-03-2010, 12:35 AM
I use a Foredom TXH for power carving. I have an adjustable speed control that sits on the bench as well as a foot petal speed control unit. For rotary carving, I use the foot petal exclusively so that I can adjust the speed of the tool as well as not have to turn it off by hand. Usually one hand is holding the workpiece and the the other is holding the hand piece.

Now, the Presto is a bit of a different animal as it is a finer, much higher speed rotary tool. I have not used it, but having the option to turn the machine off and on without letting go of the workpiece or the hand piece would be desirable. Presto makes dental units as I am sure you are aware. I have noticed that all my dental hygienists use foot petals for on/off. Maybe it is just me, but being able to turn the machine off so that I can hear myself think about my workpiece, even if for only a few seconds, is very worth while.

Don Geiger
10-03-2010, 6:27 AM
I had the good fortune to be asked by Bihn Pho a few years ago to assist him with a week-long class at Arrowmont. I learned a great deal from him. I do have the NSK and like it very much.

As far as the external pressure regulator and controls are concerned: Pictured below is a regulator/filtration set-up I built. It has a small stand made out of MDF and I mounted a 1/4 turn valve on the inlet with a quick disconnect fitting. Then there is a small single-stage pressure regulator, The air is filtered to remove oil mist, water, and particulate. The now clean air exits to a Tee onto which two quick disconnect fittings are mounted. The stand can set vertically on a table and I added a U-bolt so I can hang it up while using or storing it.

I bought most of the components through McMaster-Carr and the quick disconnects at Home Depot. It was pretty inexpensive to build.

I have a rotary scroll air compressor that is oil free and it has an automatic water drain, but I wanted make sure nothing gets into the NSK without permission. Also, I travel with mine, doing demos and going to schools etc. and I never know what a host compressor might have coming out of it.

I have friend that was just looking into buying an NSK and he found the best deal from the JAYMES Company. All I have is a phone number for them: 888-638-8998.

Don Geiger

Michael James
10-03-2010, 11:26 AM
beautiful turnings AND a guitar! Looks like a viable interface, perhaps in 11 yrs. Bhin is quite the artist to watch on his videos, you seem to be a renaissance man for sure!