PDA

View Full Version : new toy

Steve Campbell
10-02-2010, 6:47 PM
I just got back from getting myself a new delta Midi. Just got it set up and don't even have it bolted down yet. Very smooth. I think my Little General will be lonely now that I have tried this thing out. After all you have been bragging about how good this lathe is I just had to find out for sure. I think I'm going to like it.............

Thanks for helping me spend my money. Steve

Bernie Weishapl
10-02-2010, 6:49 PM
Congrats Steve on your new lathe. Your welcome. That's what we are here for to help spend money.:eek::D:rolleyes:;)

Steve Schlumpf
10-02-2010, 7:07 PM
Steve - looks like you are having fun!!! Congrats on your new lathe!

Paul Douglass
10-02-2010, 7:09 PM
Oh, you'll like it. Congrats

Karl Card
10-02-2010, 7:20 PM
If you were ever to get tired of it I would adopt it from you..lol

Good lathe makes for good turnings.

Try using one of those harbor freight 14x40's and then go to that delta...wow you would wonder how you ever turned.

Mark Hubl
10-02-2010, 8:38 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. That midi machine seems to be the platinum standard these days!

John Keeton
10-02-2010, 8:39 PM
Good choice, Steve!!

LONG LIVE DELTA FORCE!!!!!
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=141251&d=1265645584

Michael James
10-02-2010, 10:01 PM
If that's the 46-460, Santa and his helpers are bringing me one of those. Nothing but great reviews,and no one's selling them... congrats and enjoy!

David E Keller
10-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Congrats on the new lathe... It's a good one.

Ken Hill
10-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Congrats, mine should be here mid week!

Andrew Arndts
10-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. That midi machine seems to be the platinum standard these days!

Since I have an much older Delta Midi, I think they have held the "Platinum Standard" for a good while.
Which I have to say that I have read many issues with Jet Mini lathes. So I will get a Delta again. Please update any issues that arise if you will. Thanks :D

Jon McElwain
10-03-2010, 12:12 AM
Delta really did a good job designing this one for us turners! Congrats, it will serve you well for a good long time!

William Hutchinson
10-03-2010, 6:16 AM
Looks like your new toy has made itself all comfortable in your shop. Congratulations on a fine machine.

Dick Rowe
10-03-2010, 8:09 AM
Congrats! I really like mine and am sure you will like yours as well.

Rob Holcomb
10-03-2010, 9:42 AM
I have the 46-460 also and really enjoy it. I do have a little squeak or brushing sound that's developed recently (hard to explain in words what it sounds like) that I can hear at low RPM's but so far it hasn't caused any issues. It occurs on each revolution rather than a constant sound. I've cleaned the belt and pulley's so I'm thinking it's in the motor but unless a problem arises, I'm just going to keep on turning!

Just my opinion but you may want to invest in different tool rests as money permits. I'm not particularly fond of the shape of the rests that come with the Delta. The edges aren't sharp but sharp enough to fatigue my hand after a while. I'm shopping for new ones now. Tool rests that are more rounded or have a flat back would do the trick. I hate to be in the middle of something and have to stop because my hand gets sore from the constant banging when roughing out a bowl.

http://www.robholcomb.com/toolrest.jpg

Donny Lawson
10-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Great little machines. You will love the smoothness and how quiet it runs. Mine has survived my shop fire and with a little more cleaning it will work just fine. I cannot justify throwing it away. It will never look the same but it will work.
Donny

bob svoboda
10-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Congratulations on your new lathe. ENJOY!

Steve Campbell
10-03-2010, 2:42 PM
Thanks for the well wishes guys. I just got done rough turning a 10" green Cherry bowl. I think I am going to enjoy this lathe. I have a little General and thought that was nice. Man does this Delta have a lot more power. I was holding out for a 16" lathe but I don't know if I really need one now, so instead of you guys costing me money, you may have saved me money overall. Ya right.............

Thanks again
Steve

Bill Bolen
10-03-2010, 8:24 PM
Congrat's on the new Delta. It sure has a fine rating. Now on to getting it realllllly dirty.